Does strength training actually work?

Options
Hi guys :)

First post yay! So I've been using MFP for almost 6 months now and in that time have managed to lose roughly 78 lbs which is awesome, but I'm still not overly happy with how my body looks. I seem to carry a lot of fat around my mid section which bothers me. About a month ago I read the NROLFW book and started strength training after reading that it would help me lose more fat and inches but it doesn't seem to be working.

So my question is, does strength training actually help you lose inches? I lift roughly 3-4 times a week, I must admit I've dropped back on the cardio though and maybe 1 day a week. I'm not really concerned about the scale weight anymore, more so just losing some inches to look more 'toned'.

I'm 22 and weigh 140. I eat roughly 1300-1400 calories a day and YES I weight absolutely everything.. Somewhat obsessively, I even weigh condements!

Aside from strength training, what else could I do to lose some inches around my hips?!

Thanks!! :-)

Replies

• kieran9810
    kieran9810 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think the main thing is to be patient, I started strength training about 3-4 months ago and I'm seeing results now, my waist is getting small and I'm much stronger than I was a few months ago. I would say just keep at it. Also it's fine not to do cardio, unless you want the fitness aspect but for fat loss, strength training is better IMO because it burns more fat ( where as cardio you lose fat and muscle).
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    yes it does
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, sorry I'm 5'4
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    We have similar stats and I hazard a guess that you need more calories, I'm at around 1600 but that's at slight deficit too... I find all my results stall as soon as I go lower than 1500, it's just not enough
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    .......About a month ago

Resistance training does take some time, as you'll have spent some of that time getting into form I'd say you're not going to start seeing results for at least another three or four weeks. But it certainly will have an effect
    lift roughly 3-4 times a week, I must admit I've dropped back on the cardio though and maybe 1 day a week.

You might want to rack up the CV to 3 sessions per week, resistance training doesn't really burn anything like the same level of calories and as your goal is quite low it'll give you much more flexibility around what you eat. You probably need to think about optimising your protein intake as well.
    ....Somewhat obsessively

You might also want to think about whether you've got your head round portion control and food choices now. That's significant if you're not doing phys, but if you are it's really much less significant, but the breakdown of carb/ protein and fat is.

IT also may be that it's driving you to eat too little, and if you're training heavily you'll have a greater demand for food
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Er... eat at a calorie deficit... the whole idea behind MFP.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Er... eat at a calorie deficit... the whole idea behind MFP.

Which rather misses the complementary effects that both CV and resistance training have on what the end result is.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

lift roughly 3-4 times a week, I must admit I've dropped back on the cardio though and maybe 1 day a week.

You might want to rack up the CV to 3 sessions per week, resistance training doesn't really burn anything like the same level of calories and as your goal is quite low it'll give you much more flexibility around what you eat. You probably need to think about optimising your protein intake as well.

that it's driving you to eat too little, and if you're training heavily you'll have a greater demand for food

this part is not true.

A lot of people who lift do no cardio...

If you like cardio go ahead but cardio is for heart and lung health and as for calories burned doing cardio vs lifting you can't even compare them.

It's like saying an applie is a piece of steak...

ETA: I will say you can up your calories easily and still lose while lifting...I eat about 1700 a day and lose.

But you have to be patient...I've been lifting for 6months and still a ways off on my mid section.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    , resistance training doesn't really burn anything like the same level of calories

this part is not true.

You missed my point

To put it in context, I've just run an easy paced 10k At a ten minute mile, burning about a thousand calories. If I'd done an interval or tempo session of the same duration that total would be higher.

For an equivalent period resistance training would burn between three and four hundred calories.

Point is, when one nets that off, that gives a lot of flexibility around what to eat. To use your analogy, the piece of steak easily fits into the calorie goal and bears a lot more protein than the apple.

Its also worth highlighting the point that when worshippers at the altar of heavy lifting say they do no cardio, what they mean is that in the main they call their cardio other things; HIIT, circuits etc.

I'm not suggesting either or, merely balance.
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. So is adding a bit more cardio, say 2-3 days a week, going to help reduce inches?
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Yes it does.
    I eat around maintainance, lift 3 times a week (plus some cardio inbetween)
    I have gained some pounds, but my measurements have gone down. My stomach is a lot flatter now, and my legs and butt look amazing now ;)

I'm 5'11" and weigh around 165 lbs. Currently eating 2500-2700 a day, maintaining weight. Current goal is getting 10k steps a day on Fitbit, and building more muscle and strength.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I am adding an ignorant question here so forgive me - but I am curious. Surely the nature of the strength training is significant?
  • EpsilonGamma
    Options
    Click on my profile and check my blog.

Yes it works. You need to make sure you have a good program. I would recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe as a good starting point. You could be on that program for years.

Make sure that your diet has high protein. approx 0.7-0.8g of protein per lb you weigh. so if you weigh 160lb then eat around 130g.

Make sure you are weighing cooked food BEFORE it is cooked.

Also note that belly fat is one of the last places to go (yes it does come off with other body fat, but that "stubborn" fat is around teh back and belly) This is due to poor blood circulation around these areas.
  • robabob3
    robabob3 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    yeah it does, if your goal is to lose weight its completely unnecessary though.

My goal is to lose fat so i lift weights.

plus.. being strong is fun
  • fushigi1988
    Options

No it isn't. Strength training helps with preservign muscle mass, and it's great for maintaining bone density. It's good for an age and weight.
  • robabob3
    robabob3 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

No it isn't. Strength training helps with preservign muscle mass, and it's great for maintaining bone density. It's good for an age and weight.

Everything you said is correct, but so is what i said... lifting weights is not at all necessary for you to lose weight. You can lose weight doing cardio and weights or doing just cardio or even doing just weights. You can lose weight surviving on fast food and soft drink. All thats required to lose weight is a caloric deficit.
  • fushigi1988
    Options
    True, it's not needed for losing weight, but for long term it is probably healthier for you.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Thanks guys. So is adding a bit more cardio, say 2-3 days a week, going to help reduce inches?

CV, strength training and tracking your diet work together to reduce your weight and improve your shape.

It'll contribute to it, but in its own right it won't give you the optimum results.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Yes