P90X - anyone try their nutrition plan?

Options
I started P90X this evening and am still debating about the nutrition plan. Has anyone tried it? Good, bad, any tweaking? Thanks!

Replies

• marinabrazil
    marinabrazil Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Im on day 61 of P90X and I did follow the plan, not the portions but the percentage. So the first phase I did 20% fat, 50% protein and 40% carbs. Now, Im on second phase and follow 20% fat, 40% carbs and 40% protein. I have to say it wasn't easy for me since I am a vegetarian, but very worth it. I haven't felt tired AT ALL, nor sore even though I really push it. I see transformations in my body and its a healthy plan because you never overdue on fat and empty carbs. If you only do calorie count you can end up eating unhealthy food but still stay under your calorie goal.

So thats the finality of the plan, to eat HEALTHY, not just lose weight (which is consequential).
  • pryoslice
    pryoslice Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian as well and I'm just trying to start the nutrition program. How did you manage to get enough protein? Even with protein shakes and drinks, I'm over on the carbs.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    This is my 3rd round of P90X. I am now trying to do 40% protein, but I refuse to eat as much as they recommend. I try to get about half of my exercise calories. That seems to be working for me.

I recently switched to Body Fortress protein to get more protein. Two scoops is 52 grams of protein, still low calorie and low low low carb. It can be found at Walmart. I mix it with almond milk.
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I followed the P90X portion approach. I found that to be the EASIEST plan I've EVER followed. Here's a note I wrote about it - let me know if that helps or if you have questions.

http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=176721355672252&notes_tab=app_2347471856#!/note.php?note_id=162414723802082
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I do the meal plan with the menu online. It's a ton of food that I have trouble eating that much. I don't like that they use mayo, sour cream, cheeses etc, as I try to limit my dairy. I'm on the slim-down plan. I really enjoy the recipes. I cook every Monday night for the week and that way I just have to grab my lunch and dinner and run out the door, it's simple for me as I generally eat two meals at the office. I switch up lunch and dinner and eat them opposite as I eat late dinners.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have done P90X both with and without their nutrition plan, and to be perfectly honest, I lost the most amount of weight and saw the greatest change in my lean muscle mass when I followed the portion plan as written in the book.

As stated above by another poster, it is very easy to do and follow. It teaches you how to eat healthy, which is crucial. Sure, you can lose weight eating crap like twinkies as long as you are under your calorie goal, but the whole point of P90X is to get in the best shape of your life, not just lose weight. And you can't do that eating crap.
  • edorice
    Options
    I have done P90X both with and without their nutrition plan, and to be perfectly honest, I lost the most amount of weight and saw the greatest change in my lean muscle mass when I followed the portion plan as written in the book.

Now, you and Elaine say portion plan. Are you saying that you followed the amount of calories that they recommended or are you saying that you followed the 40-50% protein breakdown? Or both?
  • chicks2023
    Options
    I agree with edorice. I am a round 1 P90X grad and I did not follow the meal plan at all. I was only concerned with losing weight. In 90 days, I lost 60 lbs (240-180). I was eating around 750 calories per day. I think that put my body in starvation mode though and now I am eating roughly 1700 calories per day and starting round 2 of P90X. I took a 45 day break from Tony and his crew. The P90X plan calles for me to eat 2800 + calories, I still can't bring myself to eat that much.
  • edorice
    Options
    It's so easy to eat 3,000 calories a day when you're eating junk/fast food/greasy food. Also, during that time your body is starving for nutrents. But when you're eating clean and exercising your body is thanking you for the nutrient rich clean food. It's also demanding less food and not going through sugar spikes or making you drousy. I can't bring myself to eat more than 2,000 calories a day.
  • recr8fun
    recr8fun Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone one for responding! Very helpful!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Now, you and Elaine say portion plan. Are you saying that you followed the amount of calories that they recommended or are you saying that you followed the 40-50% protein breakdown? Or both?

The Portion Plan as described in the P90X nutrition guide is what I did. They tell you how many portions of each kind of thing you can eat per day (protein, fat, carbs, snack, etc) and you pick and choose from their lists what foods to have for those portions. For example, 3 egg whites is one protein portion, so I ate 6 egg white omelets and called it 2 portions of protein according to the book. I did not count calories and I did not bother figuring out the ratios, I simply counted the portions using the guide in the book.
  • ElaineDianne70
    Options

You calculate your overall calorie goals and then they break down how many servings of each food group you should have each day. The thread I posted above I think explains it pretty well. When you follow the portion approach you don't have to calculate ANYTHING, you just have to weigh and measure your food and eat everything on the list. :-)
  • marinabrazil
    marinabrazil Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian as well and I'm just trying to start the nutrition program. How did you manage to get enough protein? Even with protein shakes and drinks, I'm over on the carbs.

For the first phase I admit it was REALLY difficult and I rarely achieved my protein goal even though I ate shakes, bars, tofu, egg whites, veggie burgers and links, soy based food, lentils, beans and everything else a vegetarian can eat with protein. Phase 2 has bean A LOT easier, I still don't achieve entirely my goal but I get to about 125g of protein a day, of course, the more carbs you are aloud, the more protein you end up eating. Definitely 40%.40%, 20% is going to be my life style plan for as long as I can!!
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I followed the P90X portion approach. I found that to be the EASIEST plan I've EVER followed. Here's a note I wrote about it - let me know if that helps or if you have questions.

http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=176721355672252&notes_tab=app_2347471856#!/note.php?note_id=162414723802082

Hi Elaine! Thanks for sharing, I read your note, but I am curious to know if by doing the portion approach you get close to your calorie range, (1800,2400, ect) Have you ever done the math on the calories? I am on week 10, and I sure have had a hard time with the nutrition part of it, because I would love to loose some pounds and just havn't been able to! I know I can't decrese my calories to much casue then I crash!
  • ElaineDianne70
    Options

Hi Elaine! Thanks for sharing, I read your note, but I am curious to know if by doing the portion approach you get close to your calorie range, (1800,2400, ect) Have you ever done the math on the calories? I am on week 10, and I sure have had a hard time with the nutrition part of it, because I would love to loose some pounds and just havn't been able to! I know I can't decrese my calories to much casue then I crash!

Yes, when I calculated it out, it was pretty much right at 1800 following the level one plan.