College Food

Options
Hey! I'm a college student and all of the foods in the cafeteria are very heavy in sodium, fats, and sugars and are practically marinated in grease or deep fried. I was just wondering if anyone had any healthy recipes or tips for eating healthy.

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised they don't have some kind of salad bar at least, but if you can't get a salad and some grilled chicken...

What cooking tools do you have access to? Stove, oven, microwave? Can you freeze things? Do you have access to a grocery store?

That information will help folks give you specific advice.
  • OhOhOhOhRileeeeey
    Options
    Thanks for responding. I wasn't really sure what to include in this, I'm pretty new to this. They have a salad bar, but it's pretty pathetic and the vegetables are fairly sketchy. That's what I've been eating for the past few days, but I find that my tastebuds need variety. I have a full kitchen in my dorm and a microwave and toaster in my room. Walmart and Brookshire's are both across the street from me. I would honestly love to cook all the time, but it's not cheap.
  • Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    When I lived on campus, I gained 22 pounds my first semester D: (But I didn't have a kitchen, just a tiny fridge and microwave).

With a full kitchen, then it's pretty much gonna be "Eat whatever you want that is in your macros". But I know you are probably short on time. Spending a day cooking a majority of your meals, then freezing them, stuff like that. :)
  • tinks_13
    tinks_13 Posts: 40
    Options
    My tips for eating healthy at college would be to just cook your own food. How much does it cost to eat at your cafeteria? I found that at campus meals were fairly expensive, almost £5 just for lunch.

So my suggestion would be to do a weekly shop, try to find fresh fruit and veg at the cheapest possible prices, I know that chicken is often put to a reduced price when it's about to reach its sell by date. If you buy it cook it and put it in the fridge you'll have no problem with it going off. If you find fresh veg is too expensive go for frozen, although I don't personally like them myself, they're a good option if you need something affordable that will last longer than fresh fruit and veg. Try to go to a farmers market often they can have cheaper prices too. Tinned fruit is also another great option, it doesn't go off for years and it's goodness in a tin. Avoid branded products and try to go for cheaper lables, unless the more expensive stuff is on offer. Try getting a friend involved the more of you there are the cheaper it will work out if you do a group shop. Have your food cooked and ready to go in the fridge that way you won't fall into the trap of eating from the cafeteria.

There's lots of options, mostly go for the cheap options and have your food already prepared, they will help a lot!

Hope this was helpful! :)
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Can you find bagged spinach? Carrots? Bagged (undressed!) coleslaw mix?

These are my go to fast veggie fixes. spinach and a grated carrot is the easiest 'salad' to add t your dinner. Heat coleslaw mix in a microwave and its like instant veggies!

I use these to add to meals. so pick what you can from your cafeteria and then supplement with what you can find cheap :) I very much sympathize as I gained my weight at university (twice) and am only just getting rid of it now!
  • Naseer787
    Naseer787 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    collage food is tasty but he have many side effect and help to weight up