At a plateau --- Need HELP!!

Options
Hello,
I've been dieting and exercising for about a year now, but tbh i haven't really seen any amazing results!!
Ive completely lost my motivation recently, but i am trying to gain it back and i have decided that i will start working out at home with the help of some jillian micheals DVDS.
So here's where i need help; Diet.

I really don't feel like i eat more than i should, i am always trying to eat relatively healthy, with the exception of some cheat days here and there. I haven't lost a single pound!
I am currently trying to re-calculate my TDEE, and i was on another website forum when i saw this;

" if losing weight, stay or eat less to increase loss
if gaining weight eat a LOT less
if maintaining weight, eat less "

Is this correct? I feel like if i were to eat any less i would most definitely be starving myself.
I have only just started logging my food yesterday, so if anyone needs any more information from me then please ask (:

Replies

• jsonrisa
    jsonrisa Posts: 3
    Options
    Good Morning,

I just read your post and would love to offer some help. Add me as your friend so we can chat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    if you aren't losing weight you aren't in a deficet...if you aren't gaining weight you are in maintenance...

Do you log everything? do you weigh your food, measure you liquids? choose the correct entries?

If you answered no to any of these questions you are probably eating more than you think.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I really don't feel like i eat more than i should, i am always trying to eat relatively healthy, with the exception of some cheat days here and there. I haven't lost a single pound!

Eating 'healthy' means squat. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. You could eat the healthiest foods in the world, but if you are eating a caloric surplus of it, you won't be losing weight.

"Eating Less" mostly refers to consuming less calories. You can have a plate full of filling foods in a pretty hefty quantity and still lose weight if the calories still put you in a deficit. It's not necessarily about quantity, but rather quality.

Start by purchasing a food scale and weighing all of your food. Log it accurately every single day into your MFP diary and keep to your MFP goal (or TDEE-20%, whichever you prefer). If you're hitting your calorie goal, you will lose weight.
  • zoemcquaid
    zoemcquaid Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what is happening, i am not gaining, but not losing either!
    I have only just started logging yesterday, but no i do not weigh my food; something i know i am probably going to have to start soon.
    It's just very strange because a normal day for me could be this:

skip morning breakfast
    chicken salad sandwich for lunch
    fish and veg for dinner
    drink loads of water
  • zoemcquaid
    Options
    Yeah, i completely get that.
    I don't really have much weight to lose, i think for me it is more "vanity pounds" that i would like to lose. Maybe 10-14 lbs.
    I am going to purchase a scale, and hopefully soon i will start seeing some results.
    I think the first thing i need to do here will be calculating my TDEE.
  • zoemcquaid
    Options
    Good Morning,

I just read your post and would love to offer some help. Add me as your friend so we can chat.

Hey, we are friends on here now (:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have only just started logging yesterday, but no i do not weigh my food; something i know i am probably going to have to start soon.

skip morning breakfast
    fish and veg for dinner
    drink loads of water

You are at maintenance not a deficet.

I suspect you are eating more than the above...

Start logging everything...the mayo in the chicken salad..the butter etc...
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Depending on what's in the sandwich, this alone could be all the calories one needs per day :( Do not try to estimate what you eat, using a scale try logging everything for a week, and you might be surprised.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    you just said you have only been logging for one day

for this to work you need to crazy obsessed in my opinion, weigh out everything! it's the only way unfortunately
  • Super_Amy
    Super_Amy Posts: 97 Member
    Options

skip morning breakfast
    fish and veg for dinner
    drink loads of water

You are at maintenance not a deficet.

I suspect you are eating more than the above...

Start logging everything...the mayo in the chicken salad..the butter etc...

Yep, depending on how it is prepared, there is no food that could not be a stealth calorie bomb.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a plateau. Plateau is just a word people use when they think they are doing everything right but actually arent, so choose to blame a plateau rather than themselves.

If you arent losing weight, it is because you arent hitting a calorie deficit, not a plateau.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    plateaus do not exist. you're eating more than you think you are.
  • jsonrisa
    jsonrisa Posts: 3
    Options
    Have you tried doing a cleanse. Sometimes it helps our bodies. Try to always remember your WHY? The reason you started your weight loss journey.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i felt the same way. i felt like in order to lose anymore weight i would have to starve myself, since i was already eating so low at 1300. after being stuck at the same weight for 3 weeks and busting my *kitten* at the gym 6 days a week, i decided on march 12th to up my calories to 1800. whether or not i exercised. so basically tdee method. and ive lost two pounds since.
  • zoemcquaid
    Options
    i felt the same way. i felt like in order to lose anymore weight i would have to starve myself, since i was already eating so low at 1300. after being stuck at the same weight for 3 weeks and busting my *kitten* at the gym 6 days a week, i decided on march 12th to up my calories to 1800. whether or not i exercised. so basically tdee method. and ive lost two pounds since.

I have just spent the last couple of hours searching through forum posts and i have worked out my BMR, TDEE, and Deficit.
    I have also changed my goals in my MFP to the numbers i worked out, hopefully this will help me.