Marathon runners?

Options
2»

Replies

• KARRINB
    Options
    http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

This is a good site for a runnign schedule!! There are a ton of them out there.. the on thing I have learned from all the running and marathons is dont forget to CROSS TRAIN! Its crucial in the last miles for strength! :)
    GOOD LUCK!
  • stewster123
    Options
    Just as a note, 6 days a week MIGHT be a little heavy.. from what I've read it is usually best to not run two back-to-back days in a row (although you can if you want) - in order to prevent injury. (If you do run back-to-back, you are supposed to at least be mixing up the intensity, distance, or tempo. So for example, one day do a quick 3 mile run, 2 days later do a long, slowerpaced 6 mile run)

Also make sure you don't increase your mileage too fast - that also helps prevent injury.

Books I've read on the subject suggest cross-training (swimming, biking, etc) on the inbetween days. You use different muscles, give your running muscles a break, and can come back strong and not burn out/get hurt.

Those are just my two cents :)

Very good advice (especially for me)! Much appreciated!
  • stewster123
    Options
    http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

This is a good site for a runnign schedule!! There are a ton of them out there.. the on thing I have learned from all the running and marathons is dont forget to CROSS TRAIN! Its crucial in the last miles for strength! :)
    GOOD LUCK!

Thank you so much for the advice! Very good tip! So many things I don't even think of...
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I did my 1st full using the book :The Non-Runners Guide to Running a Marathon" Its maybe a 16 or 18 week program with each week spelled out on what to do. After that one I have been using Hal Higdon and my last one I used a Hal Higdon but changed it a bit by actually not doing a long 2o miler and capping out at 18 and only doing it once

You can run as many days as you want. Your just not suppose to do alot of speed work. Walking and running everyday is fine if your body is fine with it. Everyone is different. Some people are born to run fast, some for distance...We have a friend cranking out full marathons 1x month..He is insane.

If you can run 12 miles right now I would just go for the full marathon if you have one in mind for the early spring. I would pick up a program which ever you decide and start training. You dont have to follow a lineage in races. My 1st ever road race was a 10K. My tris went Spint then 1/2 iron skipping all in the middle.
  • Concordborn
    Concordborn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I second (or third?) The Hal Higdon schedule, I use them for all the half and fulls I've done. Like people have said, it varies from person to person the best way to train and even run the marathon. Walking during the training isn't going to kill you, or even walking during the race. In fact Hal Higdon recommends walking through every water station on the course, trying to drink while you run is tough, plus breaks are good every now and then (he says he even did this when he was placing 1st in marathons). The long runs are the key to preparing you for the marathon, you gotta get those in. The other runs during the week are more free to change, you can run a little shorter or farther, you can not do speed work if it's not your thing, you can cross-train more and run less. I once finished a marathon when I had shirked my training and had only done the long runs (it wasn't what I would call a "fun" marathon, but I finished). Good luck with the training and keep us updated!
  • stewster123
    Options
    I second (or third?) The Hal Higdon schedule, I use them for all the half and fulls I've done. Like people have said, it varies from person to person the best way to train and even run the marathon. Walking during the training isn't going to kill you, or even walking during the race. In fact Hal Higdon recommends walking through every water station on the course, trying to drink while you run is tough, plus breaks are good every now and then (he says he even did this when he was placing 1st in marathons). The long runs are the key to preparing you for the marathon, you gotta get those in. The other runs during the week are more free to change, you can run a little shorter or farther, you can not do speed work if it's not your thing, you can cross-train more and run less. I once finished a marathon when I had shirked my training and had only done the long runs (it wasn't what I would call a "fun" marathon, but I finished). Good luck with the training and keep us updated!

Thanks for the info! It's great to hear from people who have gone through it. I will definitely keep you all updated!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I am planning to run my first full marathon in mid may. I am using Hal higdons program. Well, kind of a blend between the novice & intermediate plans with some other tweaking to fit my schedule.
    On my off run days I will do yoga and/or bodyweight exercises. Plus one day a week fully off.
  • rcdonovan
    rcdonovan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Definitely use Hal Higdon's training schedule. Ive used it for my first two and am using it now for my third in May