Sugar and carbs always too high

Options
My sugar and carbs always seem to be too high. I'm not sure if I should be eating less fruit to combat this?

I eat a lot of fruit and veggies throughout the day (today my carbs will be high because I have a pasta-heavy lunch planned). But, I'm not sure if I should be concerned that MFP sets my limits so low, or just disregard them because it's fruit and healthy sugar?

Advice? I think my diary is open, feel free to take a look.

Replies

• travellernikki
    travellernikki Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Also - I know I have 1 tablespoon of sugar during breakfast, I'm gradually cutting it down, it used to be 2 :/
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar whether is comes from fruit or sugar cane/beets. If you are too high on your carbs, start cutting back on some of your fruit and your flour products. You might also want to try fruits that are naturally lower in sugar. My carbs are set to 90 grams, I rarely go over and I eat fruit every day.
  • kristinamarie40
    kristinamarie40 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the pie chart on MFP mobile, I noticed my carbs were out of control. My husband wanted to do South Beach diet (which is low carb/good carb) so I started with him just to get my carb intake back in check and in 5 days I've lost 4 pounds. It's amazing how "convenient" foods are all loaded with carbs. It's taken more preparation but we are eating a ton of veggies, lean meats, eggs, low fat dairy and the lower fat nuts like pistachios. It was really hard at first to give up sugar/carbs but now I feel less hungry throughout the day so I'm happy I'm doing it. Good luck!
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My sugar and carbs always seem to be too high. I'm not sure if I should be eating less fruit to combat this?

I eat a lot of fruit and veggies throughout the day (today my carbs will be high because I have a pasta-heavy lunch planned). But, I'm not sure if I should be concerned that MFP sets my limits so low, or just disregard them because it's fruit and healthy sugar?

Advice? I think my diary is open, feel free to take a look.

Everything is a carb. The only thing that isn't a carb is fat.

So once you think about it that way, you realize that even too much protein can become carbs. Your body is quite efficient at storing energy.

I would suggest lowering your intake of anything with grains. Fruits are great, eat tomatos, eat avacados, eat fruits but in small amounts. Eat more green veggies (Kale being good).

pro tip: make sure your really looking at serving sizes. They can be quite deceptive.

pro tip 2: don't buy prepackaged foods. Cook fresh foods. Its 15-20 mins out of your day, but totally worth it. I've gotten efficient at it now where I can whip up a meal in less than 30 mins (Rachael Ray would be jelly). Last night I made london broil and cauliflower, mushrooms, and shallots. I popped everything in the oven after prep and went to do other things while it cooked. Its amazing how good fresh foods taste and they fill you up.

protip 3: water water water. and more water...dump the soda. If your a diet soda drinker, a regular soda drinker, whatever. get rid of it.
  • larajmoore
    larajmoore Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carb. So, stop tracking sugar. You don't need to do that.

As far as carbs, not to be blunt, but stop eating so many then. If you are using MFPs setting, it is way, way, way too high, IMO, and I think most people would agree with me. So, if you're exceeding that, it's probably too much. Eat more protein. That's always the answer. Stop reaching for carbs. Start think about meat, eggs, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese. Things that will provide better satiation, and more solid nutrition. Carbs are ok, and you need them, but, not as such a huge part of your diet.

This.