Dieting over 40

Options
Im wondering if their of many of you out their that find it hard to shift those llbs when you hit 40 or after.:wink:

This seems to be happening with me, before it seemed more easy and now its like its jumped to very hard?

Replies

• Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm on this boat!!

In my teens and 20's I ate anything and everything and never gained a lb. Had my son at 21 yrs old. Went from 8st 5lbs to 11st and within 2 months of him being born I was back to 9st. And I hovered around 9st - 9st 5lb until my mid 30's with no issues whatsoever.

Suddenly I'm in my mid 40's and I'm 11st 5lbs!! And its so hard to shift.

I think my issue is, I'm so long eating what I always ate. And not worrying about amounts of food, that I'm struggling to actually monitor what I eat. I find it so hard to remember to weigh.

Started with a personal trainer in Jan and went onto a low carb diet which I really stuck to for 6 weeks. I lost 5 lb's.. Thats with training 3 times a week, plus walking on non training days..

Got me quite depressed about it for couple of weeks. Now coming to the realisation, my body has changed. It doesn't burn the calories like it used to. I need to really watch my food intake and up my exercise and let the lb's come off slowly. Stop waiting for the end day and being disappointed that in 6 weeks I didn't loose loads of weight. I lost nearly a lb a week on that diet. That wasn't a failure - I lost weight!!

I've realised I've let my body down. It used to be this muscular, toned machine that did anything I asked of it and was a joy to live in. I ignored it for so long, I let all that fade away.

Now I'm determined I'll get it back. I'll have that body again. It may take time, but I'll get there. My body deserves to be loved again. And this time, it won't be ignored!! ;)
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Sure. It is harder. :nod: I'm less active, partly due to age but mostly due to life. It takes a lot more planning and sacrifice to be active now with four kids. I suppose that is switched up for many - had their little kids when younger and more free time in their 40's when their kids were older or even out of house - I did that part backwards :P I cook for kids now, not just myself. I have aches and pains that I never had before. Weight comes off more slowly. It comes off in different places. But - it is coming off. It isn't going to be any easier in my 50's so now is the time!

Look at some of the success stories on here of woman in their 40's. OMG. They look amazing. I don't know that I'll ever have the time and dedication to look like they do but it is inspiring that is for sure :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I can't say yes...

This is the first time in my adult life (after having my son) I have lost weight this easy...and it's staying off...

Prior to this I would do cardio and watch my intake...get bored of the cardio and make excuses not to do it...

or I would try some diet that wooshed the weight then gain it all back.

Been here just over 9months...have learned lots and started lifting...that's the key.
  • Rhozelyn
    Rhozelyn Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Got the t-shirt! :smile:
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I thought it would be harder to lose weight in my 40s but honestly it hasn't been. Last June I was 46 yo weighing 88.5 kilos (195 pounds), now 47 yo and have reached my goal weight 56.6 kilos (125 pounds).
    Counting calories and regular exercise/weights works for me.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    59 here, and MFP has been great. I've lost over 20lbs with another 10 to go. It takes alittle more time and patience. Also read a great book that said it all---as you get older you have to move alot more, not less. Everyone thinks they can begin to take it easy, and this will point you in the wrong direction. Follow MFP guidelines, read the threads, learn alot, ---and go!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Im wondering if their of many of you out their that find it hard to shift those llbs when you hit 40 or after.:wink:
    ?
    No - far easier.
    I have more "me time" for exercise and my activities as the kids are grown up.
    There are tools like MFP and a wealth of information at your finger tips.
    Food labelling is now the norm rather than the exception.
    People do tend to get less active as they age but that doesn't mean you can't make up your mind to reverse that.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    In reality the main reason people find it harder is because they are generally less active than when they were younger. People'e metabolism only slows around 100 calories for every 10 years so it really shouldn't be significantly harder. I've found it easier because I now have more knowledge and more drive to do it.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what it is with me. 2 years ago I could eat more crap and still lose weight but not now, im eating healthy most days and exercise about 3 times a week but im just not moving it lol. you would think they healthy food alone would make me drop some llbs but its doesn't, I tried ww filling and healthy and that didn't make a difference either, think my metabolism is slow maybe, or screwed up lol.Im not desperate to lose weight but a few llbs off would be nice.
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i'm 42 and find it easy if i stick to the rules: i do this, works every time without fail:

For me it’s simple math, and this is the short version:
    Find out how many calories you maintain at and subtract 500 per day to lose 1lb per week (or subtract 1000 per day to lose 2lb per week).

Here’s the longer version:
    I have a sedentary day job, and I only want to lose about 10lbs (so my BMR is around 1200), which is the amount of calories I would need if I was in a coma; but because I talk/stand/laugh/walk a little during the day, I use about 1600-1700 and maintain my weight

1lb is about 3500 calories, so to lose 1lb per week, I have to reduce my calories by 3500 a week.
    2lb is about 7000 calories, so to lose 2lb per week, I have to reduce my calories by 7000 a week.

I can do this in a way that suits me, my activity level my lifestyle and the amount of time I want to spend on a ‘diet’. It involves creating those deficits by reducing the calories I eat and exercising the others off.

So for example, last year I continually lost 1lb per week by simply eating 1500 - 1600 calories a day and exercising off 400 calories. This meant I was creating a 500 calorie deficit a day, which over 7 days added up to 3500 calories, which equals 1lb.
    This time, I can’t be bothered with weeks of dieting so I’m prepared to work hard and lose 2lb a week and I’m doing this by the exact same method, only this time I’m eating 1200 calories a day and exercising off 400-500 per day.

I’m getting the results I predicted because I know what my activity levels are and what my maintenance calories are, thereby knowing how many calories I need to reduce by.

Also, I don’t eat any animal products at all (no meat, no fish, no diary) so I have a lot of knowledge about healthy nutrition and I make sure my 1200 calories are nutrient rich and meet my daily nutritional requirements.
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. In the past, all I needed to do was exercise and the weight came off. But eventually, I would stop exercising regularly and the weight would pack back on because I never changed the way I ate (which was too may cals and much of it low nutritional value stuff).

Now, using MFP and exercise, the weight is again coming off but I know that this is sustainable since I am changing my habits and not just relying on the exercise part.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Other than physical issues that limit exercise, I've found it easier. At age 55, I've accepted that "one of these days" is not a valid outlook. And taking 30+ pounds off my joints has helped with those issues.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    i'm 42 and find it easy if i stick to the rules: i do this, works every time without fail:

For me it’s simple math, and this is the short version:
    Find out how many calories you maintain at and subtract 500 per day to lose 1lb per week (or subtract 1000 per day to lose 2lb per week).

Here’s the longer version:
    I have a sedentary day job, and I only want to lose about 10lbs (so my BMR is around 1200), which is the amount of calories I would need if I was in a coma; but because I talk/stand/laugh/walk a little during the day, I use about 1600-1700 and maintain my weight

1lb is about 3500 calories, so to lose 1lb per week, I have to reduce my calories by 3500 a week.
    2lb is about 7000 calories, so to lose 2lb per week, I have to reduce my calories by 7000 a week.

I can do this in a way that suits me, my activity level my lifestyle and the amount of time I want to spend on a ‘diet’. It involves creating those deficits by reducing the calories I eat and exercising the others off.

So for example, last year I continually lost 1lb per week by simply eating 1500 - 1600 calories a day and exercising off 400 calories. This meant I was creating a 500 calorie deficit a day, which over 7 days added up to 3500 calories, which equals 1lb.
    This time, I can’t be bothered with weeks of dieting so I’m prepared to work hard and lose 2lb a week and I’m doing this by the exact same method, only this time I’m eating 1200 calories a day and exercising off 400-500 per day.

I’m getting the results I predicted because I know what my activity levels are and what my maintenance calories are, thereby knowing how many calories I need to reduce by.

Also, I don’t eat any animal products at all (no meat, no fish, no diary) so I have a lot of knowledge about healthy nutrition and I make sure my 1200 calories are nutrient rich and meet my daily nutritional requirements.
    Ive done all that, did it for weeks and weeks and nothing lol, im already at my 1600 a day, which is the amount I need to drop a llb but I don't lol.