What kind of bike should I get? And for my husband?

Options
I would like to purchase a bicycle and am completely clueless about where to start. I was thinking craigslist because need to keep this as cheap as possible. (Seriously. I work two jobs and am still broke, my husband works more than that. So work with me here.)

I live near the beach so I was thinking of getting a beach cruiser. But I'm from the mountains and might want to go mountain biking eventually maybe? I'm also a runner and maybe want to try a tri one of these days. But road bikes and tri bikes are definitely out of my price range. I also don't know what size bike to get. Bikes on craigslist have their inches listed and I have no idea what to get. If it helps, I'm 5'6 and currently 170 with a goal of 135.

My husband also wants a bike just for cruising around town. We live in an urban area, so the terrain would be most roads, sidewalks and the beach boardwalk. He's 6'4 and weighs 300ish pounds. The issue with him is that he's not very gentle with anything, so it would need to be something sturdy.

Any advice bikers?

Replies

• spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I bought a Schwinn 7 speed bike at Meijer last year in May 2013. I liked it and it was like $180 but on sale for $140 and then I got some other discounts for using my Meijer credit card and another discount so it brought it down to under $100. I didn't want to spend a ton of money in case I didn't continuing riding the bike but I was hooked. I can't wait till it warms up around here more so I can start biking again.
    Look around your town for people that fix up old bikes too or even craigslist. I kinda looked at those first before getting the new one at Meijer.
    Good luck!
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I'd get a hybrid bike, which is a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike. The tires are midway between both, which is good for the city. Personally i like front shocks and a shock seatpost on mine, but that's your choice. If you decide to do serious mountain biking or tri in the future, probably should get another bike for that.

Either way, Google "how to buy a used bicycle", and also search Youtube too.
    Also search for "how to find the right size bike" or something like that.
  • Erica262
    Options
    Thanks, that's very helpful! I didn't know hybrid bike was a thing.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I agree with Cherimoose, a hybrid sounds like the bike you want. Hybrids are very common and sell in stores for sub-$200 to over $2,000.

The usual advice in bicycle circles is to check out a local bike store or two. Within any given price range, the quality and options available are pretty equal among the major manufacturers. So the idea is to find a good bike store first, then let them fit you in a bike given your particular budget. But you don't sound like you have much of a budget, and the $300 or $400 entry level bikes might be considerably more than you wanted to spend.

I think it might still be a good idea to start at a bike store. The sales people are usually pretty knowledgeable and helpful. They can show you the different types of bikes and the advantages of each. They can also tell you what size bike you should buy for a particular bike type. (Hybrid size will be different than road bike size which will be different than mountain bike size.) Be up front with the sales people. Tell them you're thinking about buying used because of a tight budget. A good bike store will help you even if you're not necessarily ready to buy anything from them that day.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    another vote for a hybrid.

Also consider this your "starter" bike. You may reach a point where you need a more specialized bike for some activities (like a tri)
    But even then you can sometimes cheat by just swapping tires on existing bike ie for road racing get the smoothest tires you can, for off road riding you want good treads)

As for size-seat to pedal-you leg should be almost straight at the bottom of the down stroke
    seat to handle bars-it should feel good-youwant to reach out enough but not be too stretched (again some seats can move forward and back)

And forget the old rule that feet much reach ground when on seat-that's just for safety for beginner kid riders-not applicable for adults.
  • shiva916
    shiva916 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the post above.

I picked up a hybrid last fall to use as a way to get out and exercise more. I think that'll be your best bet for urban riding, typical roads, sidewalks, bike paths etc. a mountain style will work too but can tend to be heavier and slower on the road. Road bikes are great but don't think about doing anything other than paved roads and paths with most of them. I wanted something durable where I didn't have to worry about going off a curb or hitting a big hole and blowing tires. My hybrid is a trek fx so not the cheapest out there but I love it so far.

If I stick with it I will look into getting something better. A hybrid is a good starting point to get you into (or back into) cycling then you can see if you want something more specialized.
  • uboom
    uboom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If your interested in riding on the road where most of the cyclist in the area ride. I have a deal for you.

I have a steel frame road bike sitting in my garage. Here is the deal, you can come and get free of charge. I only ask that if you like cycling and get a better bike later that you pass this on to another person that wants to get into cycling. Let me know if your interested.

Oh don't get a hybrid... they are crap and do nothing well. Better off getting a Mountain Bike and put slick tires on it. That way you can ride it around town and ride trails.
  • dickrocketjones
    dickrocketjones Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    no question. a hybrid is the way to go. also suggest getting the most bike you can afford. best components etc. you want something reliable. if you spend all your time working on your bike your not going to want to ride it.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If your interested in riding on the road where most of the cyclist in the area ride. I have a deal for you.

I have a steel frame road bike sitting in my garage. Here is the deal, you can come and get free of charge. I only ask that if you like cycling and get a better bike later that you pass this on to another person that wants to get into cycling. Let me know if your interested.

Oh don't get a hybrid... they are crap and do nothing well. Better off getting a Mountain Bike and put slick tires on it. That way you can ride it around town and ride trails.
    Thumbs up for the idea and a high 5 to you uboom for passing it forward!
  • dickrocketjones
    dickrocketjones Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    great idea. my first real road bike was a steel framed specialized- loved that bike- got out of cycling and sold it- now aluminum frame- not the same- wish i'd never sold that thing-
  • AreUjoking2
    AreUjoking2 Posts: 142
    Options
    When I started out, I bought a used Mongoose z100 mountain bike. I only paid $80 for it at a yard sale. It was the perfect starter bike. Now, I am looking at hybrids and road bikes. Because I too want to do marathons. I'm thinking that my starter bike will last me until next spring, and then I will go get my "forever" bike. I went to a bike shop a few weeks ago and learned a lot. I now know what size of bike is right for me and I learned the differences of the bikes. They will also let you test drive them, and are more than willing to answer all your questions. I would start there, then you can look around at yard sales and goodwills, even Walmart has bikes on a budget. Good luck to you, and enjoy your rides!!!
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Another vote for a hybrid here! I got a Merida T3 which is a good bike, but not too cheap and not too expensive - about $800 AUD. You will be able to find heaps of decent second hand bikes for much less.

I've had a mountain bike and a very good quality road bike (Kuota) but they simply did not suit me and what I wanted to do which was just commute to work and do some long distance road/bike path rides a few times a week.

The hybrid suits me because:
    - thinner tyres than a mountain bike so easier to ride, but requires more effort than a road bike so more calories burnt over a shorter distance;
    - The handlebars are not so low down they put pressure on my wrist (I had a broken wrist a few years ago and can't put pressure on it for long periods). I prefer to ride a bit more straight up, not hunched over like a gnome;
    - I got a gel saddle fitted because road bikes, well, hurt a lot!
    - The straight handlebars are wider than the curly ones on the road bike and gave me better balance and stability;
    - Regular pedals so I can put my feet on the ground if I have to. I fell over way too many times with the clip-ons and this made me a nervous rider and I just didn't enjoy it, especially on the roads. I used to drive my bike to the nearest bike path to ride it, now I can ride straight out the front door.
    - can fit a rack and panniers to the hybrid but can't with a road bike - very important for commuting to work.

All in all, I really enjoy riding the hybrid whereas the very expensive road bike just sat in my garage unridden for over a year and I only rode it 5 or 6 times in all. To avoid wasting a lot of money, make sure you get the bike you need, not something flashy that looks good but doesn't suit you.
  • Erica262
    Options

Wow, thanks everyone! I'm totally overwhelmed with info now ;)

uboom, I will definitely take you up on that offer! Thank you!

And I think I'll check out a local shop to find a bike for my husband.

I definitely am just looking for starter bikes for both of us. I have a feeling I'll get more into than he will, but who knows! Then when we're both done with school we will (hopefully) be able to get better bikes and can "pass it forward."

Thanks again!