Lose 20 Pounds In 30 Days Without Exercise!

Options
This is a plan I followed several years ago and was successful at shredding 50 pounds.

Here are the four simple rules I followed…

Rule #1: Avoid “white” carbohydrates
Avoid any carbohydrate that is — or can be — white. The following foods are thus prohibited, except for within 1.5 hours of finishing a resistance-training workout of at least 20 minutes in length: bread, rice, cereal, potatoes, pasta, and fried food with breading. If you avoid eating anything white, you’ll be safe.

Rule #2: Eat the same few meals over and over again
The most successful dieters, regardless of whether their goal is muscle gain or fat loss, eat the same few meals over and over again. Mix and match, constructing each meal with one from each of the three following groups:
Proteins:
Egg whites with one whole egg for flavor
Chicken breast or thigh
Grass-fed organic beef
Pork
Legumes:
Lentils
Black beans
Pinto beans
Vegetables:
Spinach
Asparagus
Peas
Mixed vegetables
Eat as much as you like of the above food items. Just remember: keep it simple. Pick three or four meals and repeat them. Almost all restaurants can give you a salad or vegetables in place of french fries or potatoes. Surprisingly, I have found Mexican food, swapping out rice for vegetables, to be one of the cuisines most conducive to the “slow carb” diet.
Most people who go on “low” carbohydrate diets complain of low energy and quit, not because such diets can’t work, but because they consume insufficient calories. A 1/2 cup of rice is 300 calories, whereas a 1/2 cup of spinach is 15 calories! Vegetables are not calorically dense, so it is critical that you add legumes for caloric load.
Some athletes eat 6-8x per day to break up caloric load and avoid fat gain. I think this is ridiculously inconvenient. I eat 4x per day:
10am – breakfast
1pm – lunch
5pm – smaller second lunch
7:30-9pm – sports training
10pm – dinner
12am – glass of wine and Discovery Channel before bed

Rule #3: Don’t drink calories
Drink massive quantities of water and as much unsweetened iced tea, tea, diet sodas, coffee (without white cream), or other no-calorie/low-calorie beverages as you like. Do not drink milk, normal soft drinks, or fruit juice. I’m a wine fanatic and have at least one glass of wine each evening, which I believe actually aids sports recovery and fat-loss. Recent research into resveratrol supports this.

Rule #4: Take one day off per week - I DON"T FOLLOW THIS TO THE LETTER AS I TENDED TO GAIN WEIGHT.
I recommend Saturdays as your “Dieters Gone Wild” day. I am allowed to eat whatever I want on Saturdays, and I go out of my way to eat ice cream, Snickers, Take 5, and all of my other vices in excess. I make myself a little sick and don’t want to look at any of it for the rest of the week. Paradoxically, dramatically spiking caloric intake in this way once per week increases fat loss by ensuring that your metabolic rate (thyroid function, etc.) doesn’t downregulate from extended caloric restriction. That’s right: eating pure crap can help you lose fat. Welcome to Utopia.

Replies

• elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Just curious. How are you going to keep the weight off? I don't think I could live on a rotation of three or four meals for the rest of my life...
  • SkierElle
    Options
    I think it really depends how much you have to lose and what your eating habits are currently if this will work. Also exercise is really beneficial and if you want to lose weight and be healthy too, you should exercise. It preserves your muscle mass while you're losing weight and for people with excess skin helps get rid of some of that. It also keeps your blood sugar levels down and reduces cravings. I definitely agree with cutting out "white" carbs. My aim is to have only one serving of white carbs per week, or less.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Why not go for a realistic lifestyle change instead of a quick fix where you'll gain all your weight back after you stop following "the plan?"
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    most people on this site aren't here looking for a quick fix. its a true lifestyle change. it will take me longer to acheive my goal, but I don't worry about falling off this wagon.
  • MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think a change in healthier eating and moderate excercise is the way to go. You need to find something you can stick to or the weight will come back. This method may be quicker, but I think in the long run will make it harder for you...
  • kRpRpLgRl
    kRpRpLgRl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Why not go for a realistic lifestyle change instead of a quick fix where you'll gain all your weight back after you stop following "the plan?"

I agree! You need to do something that you can follow for the rest of your life.
  • summerlopresti
    Options
    Eating four times a day is hard when you have a family and work full time. I barely get a lunch at work, lol. And I know, from experience gorging myself once a week doesnt really help! I wish it did. I then take the next 3 days working off the weight gain and water retension. But if it works for you keep it up! Good luck
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success with it, but quick fixes don't normally last. Many people want to be able to eat what they want, not what they are restricted to. If I was told I can't have certain foods, that's all I'd crave! I think if people stick to upping their water, veggies, fruits, and protien and lower their sodium and eat proper portions, they can still have things like cookies or pasta, etc, just in moderation. Paired up with walking and some light jogging (thank you C25k) and that's how I've lost 46lbs.

Good luck to everyone on their journies and I hope you all reach them and stay healthy :)
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    The OP's own profile says he gained the weight back after he went off these restrictions. I want to lose the weight and stay down...granted, I have a long way to go still. I guess the title of the topic irked me. no offense to the OP....it just seems like such an infomercial....something my mom has been falling for for years and I'm finally having success by NOT falling for the gimic diets.
  • Lizzybluts
    Lizzybluts Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think your 4 rules are very inspiring, especially #4. I remember reading a few years ago the same thing, it actually boosts your metabolism if you over eat one day a week.

That may just be the answer I am looking for. If I knew I could have something that I really wanted on Sunday, it wouldn't be so hard to say no to it during the week. It is a little frightening to eat this way, but I am going to give it a try this week.

Thanks for posting.

-Lizzybluts
  • Cheri_M
    Cheri_M Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the majority of these replies. Most MFP peeps have done the quick fixes. The majority of members are looking for long term lifestyle changes. Working in healthcare I cannot help but promote the importance of exercise. Exercise is not just for those trying to lose weight, exercise benefits everyone.

:smile: Exercise: 7 benefits of regular physical activity
    "The merits of regular physical activity — from preventing chronic health conditions to promoting weight loss and better sleep — are hard to ignore. And the benefits are yours for the taking, regardless of age, sex or physical ability. Need more convincing? Check out seven specific ways exercise can improve your life." http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/HQ01676

:flowerforyou: Here are some of the great things that regular exercise can do for you:

•Keep you trim, help you lose fat and preserve muscle
    •Improve sleep
    •Improve your bone density and reduce your risk of falls and fractures
    •Lower your risk of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, gallstones, and colon cancer
    •Raise self esteem, improve mood and relaxation
    •Decrease migraine headaches
    •Reduce discomfort from arthritis
    •Reverse the natural muscle loss that occurs with aging.

:bigsmile: You don't have to do vigorous exercise like running to reduce your risk of heart disease. If you do at least moderate aerobic exercise, you still gain the health benefits by walking briskly at a 3 -- 4 miles per hour pace, or by doing other activities at a vigorous pace, like gardening, vacuuming, dancing.

Every bit helps. Only twelve weeks of regular exercise improves your fitness measurably on an exercise treadmill, but all exercise improves your blood sugar, blood pressure, and triglycerides levels, even briefly.

READ MORE:
    http://www.pamf.org/patients/EXERCISE.html
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    Just an FYI, you can lose weight in a short amount of time without exercise AND without following any of these "rules." It's a matter of calories in vs. calories out. They're called crash diets.

The key to KEEPING it off is making *permanent* healthy lifestyle changes and learning what to eat.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Having gone through this logging food thing for three years, I have to agree with the original post.

I find it is much easier to find a few foods like the ones he lists and just eat them over and over in varying combinations. The worst part of losing weight for me is logging food. That is where I tend to slack off. And that is the most important thing. Once I stop logging, a downward spiral begins.

It is tedious and time consuming to log food, plus it feeds my perfectionist/OCD brain. In my food diary I'm always trying to make the nutrients and calories come out perfect.

Once I know the foods caloric values, I am much more likely to stay in limits. I can then write it down anytime during the day, and know exactly where I am in my head.
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    The OP's own profile says he gained the weight back after he went off these restrictions. I want to lose the weight and stay down...granted, I have a long way to go still. I guess the title of the topic irked me. no offense to the OP....it just seems like such an infomercial....something my mom has been falling for for years and I'm finally having success by NOT falling for the gimic diets.

Agreed.
  • Fat2FitArmyWifey
    Options
    Congrats on your success with it, but quick fixes don't normally last. Many people want to be able to eat what they want, not what they are restricted to. If I was told I can't have certain foods, that's all I'd crave! I think if people stick to upping their water, veggies, fruits, and protien and lower their sodium and eat proper portions, they can still have things like cookies or pasta, etc, just in moderation. Paired up with walking and some light jogging (thank you C25k) and that's how I've lost 46lbs.

Good luck to everyone on their journies and I hope you all reach them and stay healthy :)

I completely agree! I think if you restrict yourself you will crave the foods you "can't" have! I went from 210-183 in about a month of working out & exercising five days a week! Portions are key when it comes to losing weight! I think after this "quick fix" you will binge on pasta & cookies most likely because you haven't had them for so long. I enjoy pasta & stuff but it works better for me to eat it in moderation! :) If this works for you then go for it! Wish you the best of luck...
  • Hibpshman1
    Options
    I agree with the majority of the people here...though there can be a couple of things gleaned from the "quick" weight loss technique.

1. There are a LOT of food ideas listed there...a repetition wouldn't be that boring, and it would be predictable.
    2. Change up the repetition once a month or so. I've found that eating the same healthy snacks (sliced raw bell pepper for example) has made it easier to pack a lunch the night before or in the morning.
    3. Shopping is easier if you're not trying to have a different meal every day! Busy people need a plan that is executable and not complicated.
    4. Staying away from the foods mentioned will help a lot...no one can argue that point.
    5. Eating foods you love but that are bad for you once in a while is a good thing. You don't want to give in to cravings, so plan out when you will eat the foods that are high in fat so you are in control.
    6. Not everyone will lose 20 pounds in 30 days, but it sure got our attention, didn't it?
    7. Have a wonderful Christmas and remember, keep exercising through the holidays, even if you eat too much once in a while, and it won't go straight to your belly or hips!

Merry Christmas everyone!

AL.
  • nelsaphine
    nelsaphine Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends how much you have to lose and what your eating habits are currently if this will work. Also exercise is really beneficial and if you want to lose weight and be healthy too, you should exercise. It preserves your muscle mass while you're losing weight and for people with excess skin helps get rid of some of that. It also keeps your blood sugar levels down and reduces cravings. I definitely agree with cutting out "white" carbs. My aim is to have only one serving of white carbs per week, or less.

I agree with you on this. This sounds like a safer and more 'life style' way to go about losing weight!
  • dewoods
    dewoods Posts: 148
    Options
    Sorry if this Post offended people.

As I mentioned I followed this plan several years ago and it worked for me. I was cautious with the binge day as I seemed to gain weight back.

I also continued to workout as that was already part of my plan.

As some stated I did gain about 25 pounds back. That was due mostly to me being lazy. My job took me back on the road (45 weeks my busiest year) and I just got lazy and ate comfort/easy food vs. trying to stay on track.

If you view my diary you can see that while I still follow this same type of plan I have mixed it up and have found other foods that I enjoy that will keep me on track.

For me it is still easiest to cook the same few meals over and over. I still enjoy all the sweet stuff, but in moderation. I can eat my healthy choice meals all day and if I choose to head to DQ for that Cookie Dough Blizzard I don't feel bad about it.

MFP has helped me discover great friends like you all and a way to track food and stay focused.

Again the intent was just to post something that worked for me. Thanks for all the lively discussion.
  • summerlopresti
    Options
    I have a mild case of rheumatoid arthritis and was on an anti-inflammatory drug every day. Since I started working out I havent takin it at all! My joints feel great, before if I skipped even 1 day i could hardly move. Its great. I looooooove exercising :)
  • Cheri_M
    Cheri_M Posts: 21 Member
    Options