Heart Rate during workouts

Options
What is your average heart rate during workouts? Mine is usually 145ish. I'd like to bump it up a little more to 155ish, but I don't want to be running around like a crazy woman. I'm about 141 pounds and was moving pretty quickly keeping the average at 145.

Just curious what everyone else's is (if you have a HRM).

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Depends on my goal for the day. I have easy days (around 135), long days (around 145) and intense days where I do spurts of around (165). I try to vary it so I don't get burnt out.
  • deannarey13
    Options
    My fat burning target heart rate is 115-130. I figure why work harder when burning the fat is exactly what I want to do.
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    i try to get mine to 85 % of max rate during my workout sevearal times. My 85% level is 158. It depends on age and weight. My personal trainer figured mine out.
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i try to get mine to 85 % of max rate during my workout sevearal times. My 85% level is 158. It depends on age and weight. My personal trainer figured mine out.

I need to figure mine out too. Off to do a search! :)
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I took a fitness class a long time ago where we did this formula to decide our resting, our max, and our target heart rate for cardio. I wonder if it can be googled? Toning, muscle work, would not apply very well. But I'm doing mainly cardio until I loose the weight and because i'm trying to be heart healthy as my long term goal.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I took a fitness class a long time ago where we did this formula to decide our resting, our max, and our target heart rate for cardio. I wonder if it can be googled? Toning, muscle work, would not apply very well. But I'm doing mainly cardio until I loose the weight and because i'm trying to be heart healthy as my long term goal.

Oh, well, you can google! I found this site immediately: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt62.htm
  • pegesam
    pegesam Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It really just depends on what I'm doing and what my reasons are for doing that particular cardio exercise. I'm trying to lose weight, so its important for me to keep my heart rate at a lower rate (220-age @ 65%). When I'm doing this, I keep my heart rate right at 118-125. Having said that, I participate in endurance sport stuff, so that heart rate methodology is out the window.

When I'm riding long distance cycling, the group I ride is pretty quick. When I train with them, I'm going full on endurance training, so my heart rate is right at 150-155 (I'm doing all I can to keep up at 20 mph on a bicycle). I've aspirations of doing a sprint tri, so when jogging, my heart rate will get up to 170 over a period of time. It's good to see tho, that you're using a heart rate monitor. HRM are very important tools in any exercise program.
    I realize that calories in - calories out = weight loss, but I'm 45. I have to use the first methodology while eating clean and trying to lose those last 20 pounds.
  • nwillbur
    Options
    Heart Rate can be an important measure of what you're doing. I'm a 28 year old in fairly good shape. I have read all kinds of literature pertaining to HR training. The best thing for you to do is to establish a max heart rate. Try not to use a regularly prescribed method of 220-age as HR varies greatly from the individual. (My max HR for running is 201). Google Max HR tests. There is a lot of good stuff out there on establishing your max HR.

HR will also vary depending on exercise. So your max on the elliptical may be quite different from your max HR running.

Once you've established a max heart rate determine what kind your target it. A lower slower HR and lower intensity will burn a higher percentage of calories from fat. 85% is a good threshold for a fairly intense work out. Keep your workout varied with some days in the long slow range and some in the high intese range. A high intensity workout will burn more total calories. The best approach utilizes 1-2 high intense workouts a week with 3-4 moderate to low intense workout.

I like to keep my HR at about 65-75% of my max for most workouts.