Runners: what was it like when you first started?

Options
Hello,
Last year I lost 30 pounds for my wedding. After the honeymoon I slipped up some and gained 10 back, but have kept the over 20 off. Now, I'm ready to keep going with my weight loss journey and would like to lose another 30 pounds. The first time, I lost the weight by changing my diet with minimal exercise. Now that my diet has changed, I'm ready to start exercising. I went jogging with my dog last night and jogged for 15 min and walked for 20 min before I was exhausted. I would like to build up stamina and lung capacity and run more without getting winded. What was it like for you when you first started running? How long did you last? Long how did it take you get not get as winded?

Replies

• beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running, but now I love it. There is hope. :) I would say definitely start out slowly and gradually work your way up. It used to be a struggle for me to be able to run for 20 minutes, but now I run for over an hour (outside -- the treadmill is still a struggle because it's so boring). Do you have an iPod? Motivating music helps a lot. Good luck!!
  • Livestrongalways
    Options
    You should try the couch to 5k app, I've just started a few weeks back and it's amazing how much my stamina has improved already, there's a podcast that plays through your iPod , mobile ect and tells you when to run and when to walk, it's aim is to having you running 5k in 9 weeks :) if your a little advanced for that stage then move to the next however don't push yourself to hard....good luck x
  • labtech666
    labtech666 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm currently working my way through a 'couch to 5k' app on my phone. The first sessions involved running for 1 minute at a time with walks in between. Once the runs got up to 5 minutes I thought it would kill me, but after 7 weeks I can now run for 25 minutes.
    Never thought it would happen, but I think I'm becoming a runner!
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Keep at it, over a relatively short time you will build up endurance and distance. Take it slow, add more time each week. Its hard to say specific numbers because everyone is different. I also need to music, try out Electronic Cardio on Pandora.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    It gets better each time you go out. The first 5 minutes I don't particuliarly like but after that I get my rythym guing and I love it. Try doing walk/run intervals. That is the best advice for starting a running program. You will build up stamina, distance and speed over time. Just enjoy the process. If you start out too hard and too fast, it's no fun. Buy Runner's World or go on their site. There is a ton of good running tips for beginners.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    What was it like? Pure hell!! Especially since I originally started on the treadmill and when I started running outside it was like taking a huge leap backwards. But like anything, with time and practice, you get better. Your lung capacity, endurance, all that will improve. Keep at it!
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It was terrible at first! I couldn't do more than 5 minutes without having to walk. But the more consistent I became in running, the better my cardio got. You will be surprised how quickly you can progress.
  • Deb_622
    Deb_622 Posts: 694
    Options
    I started running to lose weight and it was a huge struggle for me as well - I hadn't done much exercise in years. I definitely started slow and tried to do small intervals where I increased my speed a little bit for a certain amount of time and then decreased the speed - without going all the way down to a walk. I do have a treadmill (with a TV right in front, because yes...they are super boring) but, I've also done the same type of thing outside using telephone poles...run/jog/sprint from one telephone to the next and then jog at a slower pace...then repeat...

The biggest thing I can say, is that you need to push yourself without going overboard - start slowly and build up your endurance. Try to do better and better each time you go out, and as your weight comes down the runs will get easier, and you'll be able to go farther.

Good Luck!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

^^^^^ yup yup- greatttt post she basically consolidated every beginner running post I have seen on here! I have been "running" for about a year and I still liked reading it!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I started out barely able to run for 2 or 3 minutes.
    But getting out 3-5 times a week i am able to hammer out 5km without stopping after 7 or 8 weeks
    Now I love running.

C25K is your friend.

It is a great way to get into running.
    Although if you can already run 15 mins straight you can probably skip the first 2-3 weeks.

The more you run the stronger your heart will be the less winded you will become.

Start out slowly - at first run at a speed where you could comfortably carry on a normal conversation.
    You'll find over time that speed increases.

Make sure you have proper fitting running sneakers.
  • labbielove
    labbielove Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Running/walking combo is how I got started, and I also highly recommend the Couch to 5K plan. Getting out there and moving is the key, so whether you're running or walking you're still ahead of the game!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I'm currently working my way through a 'couch to 5k' app on my phone. The first sessions involved running for 1 minute at a time with walks in between. Once the runs got up to 5 minutes I thought it would kill me, but after 7 weeks I can now run for 25 minutes.

No need to "think" you are a runner....... You ARE a runner!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yeah, starting off takes a lot of dedication!

I second the recommendation to follow something like Couch to 5k.

is there a ParkRun near you? These are weekly timed 5k runs. I started them last year - my first one took me 34 minutes, and I had to walk some of the way. Now my PB is 26.34, and I couldn't imagine my weekend without a ParkRun.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Last year I lost 30 pounds for my wedding. After the honeymoon I slipped up some and gained 10 back, but have kept the over 20 off. Now, I'm ready to keep going with my weight loss journey and would like to lose another 30 pounds. The first time, I lost the weight by changing my diet with minimal exercise. Now that my diet has changed, I'm ready to start exercising. I went jogging with my dog last night and jogged for 15 min and walked for 20 min before I was exhausted. I would like to build up stamina and lung capacity and run more without getting winded. What was it like for you when you first started running? How long did you last? Long how did it take you get not get as winded?

When I first started, I couldn't run my 1.5mi fitness test without walking. I averaged a 14ish min time. I hated every second of it. Keep at it, run slow easy miles, and take care of your body (listen to it as well), and you'll do great things. And check out the "so you want to start running" post that someone linked to above me. Good stuff in there.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    The first time I ran, I didn't make it to our mailbox (300ish feet) before needing to stop. I cried.

I run my first half marathon next Saturday.

Keep going. It gets better.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options

Take my word for it, you ARE a runner!

Charles
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Definitely C25K. From your description, it looks like you're probably at the week 4 or 5 stage but it can't hurt to start from week 1.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    The first time I ran, I didn't make it to our mailbox (300ish feet) before needing to stop. I cried.

How long did it take?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

How long did it take?

I've been running about 18 months now. I piddled around for a lot of 2013, hanging my long runs around 5 miles. I started training for this race in January, and I won't be setting any world records, but I'll finish.