Runners: what was it like when you first started?

Options

Replies

• MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options
    I just started running recently, it's hard to find the time for a run for me because I work full time and have a very needy two year old, so sometimes he and I run laps of our apartment and sometimes I sneak out in the early mornings/nap time. If I'm leaving him to go for a jog I don't stay out for more than ten minutes, which is about a mile for me, I can jog for 20-30 at a more relaxed pace but when I'm hurrying to make sure the little guy doesn't wake up and then wake up his dad because he can't find me I focus more on my speed.
    My goal is to run a 5k in June, I'm not following any specific training program, I'm just listening to what my body has to say about various runs and adjusting things as need be.
  • 1daylate1dollarshort
    Options
    My first attempt at exercise, about 5 years ago, was running. I didn't do much else. I was on the low end of "healthy" on the BMI chart and it was still terrible....at first.

I started just jogging. I couldn't make it half a block without stopping and gasping for air. It was awful. I kept at it though and after a week, I could jog a block! Then eventually (maybe a month?) around the block a couple of times without stopping to walk.

Then I just started running pretty fast, which was hard.

I ended up loving it. The cool thing about any kind of exercise is seeing an increase in stamina/strength/whatever. It's just cool to see how much I improve over time.

I ran for a while, then got pretty sick and just stopped. I missed it. Now I'm back to exercising, but I haven't started running because of the eternal winter. Can't wait to get back at it though.

Give it a chance for a bit! You might end up really loving it. Any exercise kinda sucks at first (for me, I'm definitely a couch potato)
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    It kinda sucked until I actually ran an entire mile. That was a huge win for me.

I started running in a wildlife refuge away from judging eyes where only the otters and birds would see me wheezing, jiggling and hacking. I told myself I would walk and/or run one mile. At first, I ran a few steps and then walked until I recovered. Then repeated. Soon, the running stretches began to grow closer together. Within a few weeks I had ran the entire mile very slowly. But it was under my belt. Huge win. Then I repeated the entire process but went up to 3 miles. After a few months I had that under my belt. Then I repeated the same process with 6 miles, then 9 then 12 etc. Always multiples of three for some weird reason.

Anyway, 10 years later I ran my first marathon. It took me nearly 5 hours but I could not give two sh*ts. I won much more that day than the Kenyan who took first place.

My advice. Shoes. Shoes Shoes. Get the right shoes. Talk to a professional. It makes ALL the difference.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the C25K app. Don't make the mistake of trying to go from not running, to running non-stop for a long time. That's pretty much a recipe for injury and failure. The C25K app is great because it allows both your cardio and muscles "rest" time in between running sets.

I hadn't run for 30 years since forced cross country in grade school. I also have/had exercise-induced asthma, and running had always been my trigger. Once I moved from Obese 1 into only Overweight in BMI, I started the C25K app (I decided to wait for a lower weight to lessen the impact on my hips & knees) and was amazed at how quickly I progressed. Yes, the first few weeks sucked hard, but it did get a LOT easier, fast after that. Still a challenge, but totally doable. I ran my first 5K last fall in a time of 32:37, which I was VERY happy with! I'm now part-way through the extension 10K trainer, with my first 10K coming up in a few weeks.

If there's any advice I can give you about learning to run through C25K, it would be this: if it gets too hard - SLOW DOWN your pace, but don't stop running. Concentrate on running the time first; speed and distance will come later, once you've got your base endurance.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    What was it like for you when you first started running? How long did you last? Long how did it take you get not get as winded?

When I started I weighed 209 lbs. I am 5'7" and 65 yo. I started as you are, first by walking. When I could walk a mile and feel comfortable, I ran the distance between the last 2 mailboxes on my street, say, 20 yards. The first time I did that I had a "near death" experience! :) I lived.

As I got comfortable with that distance (yes, just 20 yards) I added another mailbox, and so forth.

Today, just about 1 year later, I am 135 lbs, and I run 4.5 to 5.5 miles 6 or 7 days a week.

I love running. I HATE the first 1/2 mile or so...I HATE it....but after that I find physical centering and emotional healing. I have great shoes, wonderful music, and a supportive family.

Starting March 30, I will begin training for a half marathon. I will be including body weight strength training as the "cross training" in getting ready.

You can do this!

~Charles~
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    a lot of walking and sucking wind. but the more I did it I noticed it didn't get any easier, I just got stronger and now I can run 4 miles (maybe more) without stopping and sucking wind. 4miles is still hard to do, but I'm just stronger and more healthy since my first day.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    15 min of running? That's great! Excellent. When I first attempted to run, I set the treadmill on 6.0 made it maybe 1 min. I had to walk. I remember watching everyone else around me on the treadmills running for MILES at a time. MILES! I just wanted to be able to run 1 mile! It took me a very very long time to be able to run a mile. I was incredibly slow. I could never have my treadmill even CLOSE to the speeds of anyone around me. Eventually, within a year, I worked up to running 10-20 min without stopping... Another year went by, and I challenged myself to run 4.5 miles. I remember feeling so accomplished that I rAn 4.5 miles in an HOUR. I continued to try to run... 3 years later, I signed up for my first "race". Then it became a whole new obsession... Now I have ran ~5:30 mile... Sub 20 5k... 7:05 pace for a 1/2 marathon & 4 full marathons. It didn't happen overnight. Celebrate every little step. Only compete with yourself. It's amazing what you are capable of :)
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I hated running, but forced myself to do it. Started 1 min runs and 2 min walks. Thats was about 3 years ago and now I can push to 5 miles or so but a regular workout run is around 3 miles. It takes time and I can only say from my experience is that I fell in love with running. I dont know if that will happen for everyone but it did for me. Just keep at it, maybe you'll end up loving it. Good luck!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    A year and a half ago, in November, I started the C25k app and ran for 30 amazing seconds. By October of the next year, I finished a half marathon.

You're getting a lot of good advice in this thread and you should listen to it.

All I'd like to add is...believe in yourself. KNOW that you can do it.

One thing that runners struggle with is underestimating what they can do. I spent 7 weeks sure that I would be forced to quit at some point. Sure that I just wasn't capable of running. That wasn't necessarily a bad thing at first, because it led to me just taking a single day at a time and doing what I could do that day and that's how I overcame the odds against finding the time to do it. But it did hold me back after a certain point.
  • linnipopz
    linnipopz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have just not long started C25K and its taking its time but its working. I only do it at the Gym though on the treadmill and I am still struggling with my breathing and also how I put my feet down. I am in agony at the moment but I think thats more to do with the squats I tried to do the other night before the treadmill, but I am determined to complete a 5K at somepoint this year. I am to scared to go out jogging myself but once the weather pics up and the lighter nights get lighter I think I might have to bite the bullet and move my butt outside!!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    15 min of running? That's great! Excellent. When I first attempted to run, I set the treadmill on 6.0 made it maybe 1 min. I had to walk. I remember watching everyone else around me on the treadmills running for MILES at a time. MILES! I just wanted to be able to run 1 mile! It took me a very very long time to be able to run a mile. I was incredibly slow. I could never have my treadmill even CLOSE to the speeds of anyone around me. Eventually, within a year, I worked up to running 10-20 min without stopping... Another year went by, and I challenged myself to run 4.5 miles. I remember feeling so accomplished that I rAn 4.5 miles in an HOUR. I continued to try to run... 3 years later, I signed up for my first "race". Then it became a whole new obsession... Now I have ran ~5:30 mile... Sub 20 5k... 7:05 pace for a 1/2 marathon & 4 full marathons. It didn't happen overnight. Celebrate every little step. Only compete with yourself. It's amazing what you are capable of :)

sub 20 5K that is impressive. I hope to do that some day. for now I'll run my 5Ks in 34min. that's my goal anyway.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    I have just not long started C25K and its taking its time but its working. I only do it at the Gym though on the treadmill and I am still struggling with my breathing and also how I put my feet down. I am in agony at the moment but I think thats more to do with the squats I tried to do the other night before the treadmill, but I am determined to complete a 5K at somepoint this year. I am to scared to go out jogging myself but once the weather pics up and the lighter nights get lighter I think I might have to bite the bullet and move my butt outside!!

running outside is such a great experience. I don't use my elliptical at all. I do all my running on the pavement. it's such a great feeling
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Last year I lost 30 pounds for my wedding. After the honeymoon I slipped up some and gained 10 back, but have kept the over 20 off. Now, I'm ready to keep going with my weight loss journey and would like to lose another 30 pounds. The first time, I lost the weight by changing my diet with minimal exercise. Now that my diet has changed, I'm ready to start exercising. I went jogging with my dog last night and jogged for 15 min and walked for 20 min before I was exhausted. I would like to build up stamina and lung capacity and run more without getting winded. What was it like for you when you first started running? How long did you last? Long how did it take you get not get as winded?

On your first day you made it 15 minutes!?!? Wow. I make it about a hundred yards. It sucked at first. I smelled blood when I breathed AND later my muscles were sore for about 5 days. Thankfully that didn't last!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Just to add a little - while the "first time" was really a blur, the first time doing longer distance really sticks out for me. First HM in Jun 2011. Hobbling down the stairs. Walking like peglegs. Didn't run again until October (foolishly signed up for another HM) and completely quit after that. When I picked up running again Jan 2013, I (properly) worked my way up to 13 in 4 months and felt like a champ. Fast forward a year and 1000mi later, run 16-18 and run again the next day.

Moral of the story: the more consistently you run, the more it takes to knock you down. Stick with it and you'll be unstoppable.
  • Tomtomtomfitz
    Tomtomtomfitz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    nothing too new to add to what has already been said--lots of great advice already given!

but want to agree with--

-starting slow

-starting with walk / run combo

-try to run outside (so much more enjoyable than treadmill to me)

-music helps if you like music

-definitely get decent running shoes--talk to a knowledgable running store staffperson, you don't need to break the bank but need something that fits you well and "how" you will be running

-I liked setting goals based on time, not distance. Didn't care if I ran 1 mile, 2 miles, etc, just wanted to run "20 minutes", however far that got me. Makes you listen to your body more--some days you have it, some days you don't!

-consider a heart rate monitor; I found in the beginning what really makes running so darn miserable is most people run well into their stress level, and if you run at 80% or so instead, you'll find that while you'll be going slower than you though you should, you won't be miserable and you'll stick with it. Don't worry, the speed will come--in the beginning my "running" was actually about the same speed as my walking--didn't take much to get my heart rate up! Now if I don't get in at least a few runs a week I miss it...!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It was brutal. Looking back, I was so slow and it sucked so much I should have just walked...it would have been quicker lol. But I just kept at it. Wanted to run to lose weight, now it's just plain enjoyable. Not sure when it got easier...hell, it still isn't sometimes, but it does get easier. Stick with it and you'll get there.
  • eapragar
    eapragar Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the advise and inspiration! I have the C25K app and never used it. I think I will definitely start there. I ran again today, but didn't quite make it as far because my legs were still tired from yesterday. Haha. But I will keep at it and maybe slow down a bit and start at the beginning of the C25K app.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    It was sooooo hard! I couldn't even last one minute:)
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I could barely run for a min, now I run couple half marathons a month. Don't run every day at the beginning, run every other day and build mileage slowly.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the advise and inspiration! I have the C25K app and never used it. I think I will definitely start there. I ran again today, but didn't quite make it as far because my legs were still tired from yesterday. Haha. But I will keep at it and maybe slow down a bit and start at the beginning of the C25K app.

Perfect! That is a great idea. Starting at the beginning will keep it easy and fun as you build up your conditioning.