Trying to get fit with fibromyalgia

Options
Hi, I'm starting a journey to fight against fibromyalgia and get into shape, hopefully getting rid of it, or making it less severe. Support would be great, and I'll return the favor!

Replies

• clairejoknee
    clairejoknee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've got a very similar condition 'ME' - I'm doing this in the hope that cleaner food/cutting out junk will make me better. It's also making me drink more water. I'm sticking to the calories and have even managed a bit of exercise (which would have been impossible just a short while ago). I want to loose a stone but so far only half a pound off in two weeks. I bet our metabolism are as fatigued as we are. How are you getting on?
  • bombdawtcom
    Options
    Congratulations!

I don't have any kind of sever conditions, but I'm just trying to get the pre-baby body/health back.

I'm here for support if you'd like to add me!
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I know a lot about Fbro and 2 main things to know are stretching and stretch again is a key element for you which means a longer warm up and a longer cool down as well. Go slow use foam rollers for trgger points and remember a warm pool makes a lot more possible walking in 86 or higher doing arms in water with floats will really help a lot. Good luck you can friend me if you want I have had it to the point I couldn't put on a shirt to now rarely being aware of it and forgetting to tell MDs because of an awesome trainer who got me back on track. I know lift heavy 3xwk for 2.5 hrs and cardio 4-6x wk for an hr. Dream and don't let go of those dreams It can happen be patient.
  • fatcat0908
    fatcat0908 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My mother in law has seen a wonderful improvement in her fibro pain levels since starting a gluten free diet. Just something to consider.
  • ericarenee2005
    Options
    I've read before the metabolism is slowed down dramatically by diseases like fibromyalgia so I've been drinking a lot of teas in hopes of getting it moving. I drink pu erh and green tea as well as parsley tea which has surprisingly reduced some of my pain and helps me sleep better. It's one step at a time because it is seriously hard to work out but I just keep doing what I can because if you give up I think it only gets worse.
  • ericarenee2005
    Options
    I know a lot about Fbro and 2 main things to know are stretching and stretch again is a key element for you which means a longer warm up and a longer cool down as well. Go slow use foam rollers for trgger points and remember a warm pool makes a lot more possible walking in 86 or higher doing arms in water with floats will really help a lot. Good luck you can friend me if you want I have had it to the point I couldn't put on a shirt to now rarely being aware of it and forgetting to tell MDs because of an awesome trainer who got me back on track. I know lift heavy 3xwk for 2.5 hrs and cardio 4-6x wk for an hr. Dream and don't let go of those dreams It can happen be patient.

Thank you so much for posting! It's really encouraging to hear something like this from someone whose had it.
  • emilyroberts312
    Options
    Hi, I've got fibro too and I'm looking to lose weight, get fitter and relieve symptoms. Maybe we could share experiences in how we're finding our diets and exercises :)
  • NoExcusesFitnessCoach
    NoExcusesFitnessCoach Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with fibro 8 years ago and have seen a complete reversal of symptoms since I changed my diet and started exercising a year ago. When I say complete reversal, I mean COMPLETE. I haven't had symptoms in a year. Clean eating and exercise are the KEY. Keep going and you WILL see improvements! :smile:
  • acloern1985
    acloern1985 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I had Chiari surgery 11 years ago, and while the surgery fixed the problem, I continued to have daily extreme pain and exhaustion for nearly 7 years following the surgery. My doctors, after ruling out any other explanation, decided I have Fibromyalgia.

For the longest time I didn't believe that daily exercise could help me. I was depressed, activity hurt, I felt like I had the flu for days after working out, and food gave me comfort. So for about 6 years I stayed overweight and unhappy. Then I finally decided I needed to do something about it. I worked out, and what I discovered was that the more I pushed through the pain and exhaustion, the easier it got. The symptoms started diminishing as my weight decreased, and the more often I went to workout, the less like crap I would feel. Sure, there were still days that I would go at it too hard in the gym and I felt like warmed death the next day. But I'd take that day off and get right back at it the next.

What helped me the most was finding a balance of working out hard enough to see results, eating healthy foods to nourish my body, and allowing my body to rest when it needed it.

I still have pains that non-Fibro people don't have. But not near the amount I was having before I dedicated myself to a healthy lifestyle. Good luck, OP, you can do it! It's miserable at first, but it gets easier. Don't be too easy on yourself, but don't be too hard either. Work to find your balance.
  • EbSC234
    EbSC234 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I got diagnosed about a year ago, and I recently started working out with a trainer. It's been a few weeks, and I feel pretty great! I still have hard days now and then, but I have definitely noticed a reduction in my pain. It's been amazing!
  • juliesillars2
    Options
    Hi , I have FM and an under active thyroid. FM diagnosed 2 years ago and I've gained over 2 stones since then. I've started swimming and walking my dog, how long did it tke others to regain a decent level of fitness and what sort of frequency should I be aiming for? Julie
  • mikecole2014
    Options
    I have fibro also and it's been a long hard struggle . Talking to others that have it and have similar goals really helped me out the most. Anyone feel free to add me , im on daily .
  • pamdsaul
    pamdsaul Posts: 17
    Options
    I too suffer from fibromyalgia. Good luck on your journey. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • doingitforjesus
    doingitforjesus Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I too have fibromyalgia and have been away from here for a long time since dealing with the symptoms of it. Right now it is pretty bad pain and weakness wise. I am starting to try and exercise, I have a recumbant bike and at times can do no more then 5 minutes but usually 10 minute every couple days right now. I recently needed a cane o get around a lot at home. I want to work on losing this weight and being more active. Add me as a friend and anyone else here as well as I could use all the support I can have from others who understand
  • scrappinsleuth
    Options
    I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 13 years ago. I also suffer from depression and sleep problems. I started going to a massage therapist who understands Fibro I've been going to him every other week for the last 5 years and he has helped me a lot. Last July I started to cycle and was amazed how much it helped me. Unfortunately I always have a major flare up in spring, usually March, which puts me in bed for a couple of weeks and then takes another month or so to get back to my normal. This year it has been a little worse. I am currently taking cipralex and gained 20 pounds. I can't seem to lose it. So frustrated
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    Hi all, just found this post. Please add me. I was diagnosed with fibro in Feb this year x
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I've also got fibro.

I will say that walking everyday has definitely improved how I feel on a daily basis (oh- and drinking lots of water).

Good luck <3
  • JLoescher01
    JLoescher01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from fibro. Ridding my system of all the toxins due to a diet that used to be high in processed foods was the best thing I ever did. Rarely ever do I eat anything that has been processed anymore. Completely off meds now and able to work out. Best of luck to you!! :flowerforyou: