Dukan Diet - Any good?

Options
I'm working with and osteopath who is recommending the Dukan Diet which sounds very similar to the Adkins Diet. Low, low, low carbs and lots of protein and veggies.

I have a friend who used it to great effect but then started putting weight back on and got tired of the diet. She's thinking of going Paleo.

Purely counting calories hasn't done it for me since there is really little structure and I fall off the wagon constantly. Does anyone have experience with Dukan or am I settling myself up for rapid weight loss followed by rapid weight gain?

Replies

• jcolier
    jcolier Posts: 64
    Options
    I follow the Atkins diet, which is low carb. I don't see it as a diet though, more of a way to eat. I've had good results mentally and health wise, a bit of weight loss.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Not familiar with Dukan, but Ive been low carbing for 24 days and started feeling off recently. Been eating about 30 carbs a day. Got real tired and a head ache recently even though most the comments say you get them at the first few days of carb restriction. Best thing for you to do is try it out and see if your body feels fine doing that.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    People tend to fall off the wagon when they set their calories too low or decide to give up whole food groups. How can I fall off my wagon if I allow myself to eat all things as long as I stay in my moderate calorie level?

Personally, I could never live on just protein and veggies. I also need dark chocolate, wine, pasta, excellent bread, and so many other things. I have been eating all of those for nearly two years. Just less of them. I have my calories set to a reasonable level that allows me to incorporate the foods I love.

My only rule: "don't do anything today that I'm not willing to do for the rest of my life."
  • tffnylou
    tffnylou Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am on the PSMF diet (protein sparing modified fast) which is really similar to the Dukan Diet. I am being monitored by a doctor and nutritionist because I am only eating 20g of carbs a day which is basically just vegetables and lean meat. I was also prescibed potassium while i'm on this diet.

You shouldn't try this diet on your own... I have to get blood work done every two weeks so they can check my kidneys as it is very easy to become dehydrated and develop other issues like high uric acid levels in your blood which can cause gout.

59463613.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • KatissimusDorsi
    Options
    Any diet that eliminates a food group is intolerable in the long-run for most people. Inactive, very overweight people tend to do better on a lower-carb diet than a more active person BUT if you love bread and pasta and can't imagine life without it, your success may be short-lived.

Typically a cycle is a few months of being strict and seeing results, then months and months of uncontrollable binges that people often call "falling off the wagon."

I would advise you to simply make 1 small, positive change that you can handle (such as eating a serving of vegetables with dinner every day), ride it out until it's easy to do, then add something else that's positive.

On a side note, for people who aren't counting calories, eating high-satiety foods like meats and high-fiber fruits and vegetables becomes much more important.
  • KenMontville
    KenMontville Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great input and feedback.

I'm kinda conflicted about all this. I'm 302 (this morning) and I really need to do something. Really. My primary MD says "eat less and exercise more" (the magic formula) but that's easier said than done. I connected with a DO (osteopath) who is more holistic about a neck problem and that segued into nutritional counseling. On a variety of supplements (Standard Process brand) with the osteo's recommendation for Dukan with him monitoring.

I would love to "eat less and exercise more" or do everything in moderation but it hasn't worked well for me. I absolutely enjoy bread, rice, potatoes....and ice cream, cookies, muffins, pies and cakes.

I see it as something that will be structured and someone outside of me to monitor and hold my feet to the fire.

Sigh.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Well you could try reducing your carbs, but not as low. Even at 75 grms to 100 grams your hunger cravings could possibly be curved and you could still lose weight. You dont necessarily need to go so low right away.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    If you absolutely enjoy bread, rice, potatoes, ice cream, etc. why do you want to give it up completely? That makes no sense to me. If you let MFP set up your macros you will find that you are able to eat lots of carbs and still lose weight. Unlimited? No.

Why not give it a few weeks? Buy a food scale first. That (and drinking lots of water) is what got me on track. I can't thank the posters on this forum enough for always pointing out how important it is to weigh instead of measure.

When you see a steady weight loss week after week just by following the MFP guidelines you will be very excited. It won't take long for the first number on your scale to be a "2" instead of a "3". Come on. Get going!
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great input and feedback.

I'm kinda conflicted about all this. I'm 302 (this morning) and I really need to do something. Really. My primary MD says "eat less and exercise more" (the magic formula) but that's easier said than done. I connected with a DO (osteopath) who is more holistic about a neck problem and that segued into nutritional counseling. On a variety of supplements (Standard Process brand) with the osteo's recommendation for Dukan with him monitoring.

I would love to "eat less and exercise more" or do everything in moderation but it hasn't worked well for me. I absolutely enjoy bread, rice, potatoes....and ice cream, cookies, muffins, pies and cakes.

I see it as something that will be structured and someone outside of me to monitor and hold my feet to the fire.

Sigh.

I don't mean to be a poop but your doctor (and my doctor and my nutritionist and - shudder - my mother) is right. Eat less exercise more. If you are doing something drastic, stick with medical supervision.

For me, I also got some assistance from an antidepressant (it is easier to stay focused when you are not under stress). I love food and will not stop loving GOOD food but I was eating junk as well and doing A LOT of mindless eating. I made the decision at the end of November that enough is enough. I "survived" quitting smoking and truthfully, this is easier than that was by a long shot. I did not want surgery so my option was to suck it up and do it.

I understand the desire for structure and being monitored - that is what I use my friends list and the various challenges on MFP. It has worked as well as meeting with a nutritionist regularly. I do use commercial protein shakes (along with a bunch of fruit and string cheese) for lunch - mostly for convenience. Breakfast and lunch is "real food". I am working hard to retrain myself to get away from stress/boredom/depression eating.

From what I read on the forums, it has to come from YOU not someone else. Regardless of the path (medically supervised diet, surgery, on your own), you have to be committed and ready to change. I find it helpful to remind myself that it is not going to fix all the problems I have but it will help improve my health.

You and I are starting from the same place - I am 52 and started in November at 318 pounds (ouch). I celebrate every new decade and when I broke back into the 2 century, I jumped for joy.

Good luck on your journey and reach within to find your motivation.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I just read your profile - you can imagine how happy I was when I could bend down to tie my shoes - it was one of my first non-scale victories.
  • KatissimusDorsi
    Options
    Losing weight can absolutely be a scary experience, especially when you feel confused and unsure of what to do. I can tell you with certainty cutting out an entire macronutrient is most likely not your path to success.

Instead of completely overhauling your diet, leading to an eventual "falling off the wagon" and feelings of defeat, why not set yourself up for success? Start with something small and manageable. Try one of something like:

-Only eating at the dining table when you're at home
    -Avoiding eating in the car
    -Drinking a big glass of water with every meal
    -Eating a big serving of vegetables with dinner everyday
    -Getting 8 hours of sleep
    -Buy a food scale and measure 1 meal a day (I usually find breakfast easy to do this with)
    -Going for a 10 minute walk everyday

Just one at a time, until it's a habit. These small habits will add up overtime and lead to weight loss, minus the heartache, deprivation, and frustration.
  • Adriennrus
    Adriennrus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started Dukan yesterday, I love the concept although I will add my twist to it to make it a bit healthier!! I started a blog to inspire anyone if they are dreaming of the beachbody for this summer just like me!!!

http://sweatluv.wordpress.com/
  • PLAID1977
    PLAID1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've followed the 1st two phases (Attack and Cruise) of the Dukan Diet a few times before. For me, it has helped with breaking plateaus etc. It does work. It's basically lean protein, veggies and low fat dairy. Like all things it essentially creates a caloric deficit. I have done it in conjunction with MFP as well as on it's own. I like seeing the calories I am eating too but the nice thing is that it is not necessary. I couldn't follow it forever. But I have not had any ill effects as far as rebound weight as long as I follow some healthy eating and controlled plan afterwards, calorie counting etc. You may find it helpful.

There is a free calculator online that tells you approximately how much weight you can expect to lose (getting to what Dukan calls your True Weight) and approximately when that will happen.

I'd also recommend googling a man named Marshall Brain and his Dukan experience. He blogged his experience and weight loss throughout the 1st 2 phases. It was interesting to read.

It works. But like anything, you need to continue watching what you eat, even if it is not on the same plan. I happen to like switching things up every now and then. It's helpful to me for weight loss and for my sanity! Good Luck!