Do you need to exercise?

Options
I have a question, if you sat in bed for 24 hours and ate 1500 calories and didn't move and your BMR burns 2000 calories would you lose weight? I obviously don't do this but I was just curious.. It seems to good to be true lol

Replies

• sbox11
    sbox11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Theoretically, yes. BUT doing that could lead to all kinds of health problems. The best option would be to exercise. Obviously we all have different lifestyles, but if you set aside just 15 minutes a day, it will drastically improve your health. Although it may not cause you to lose a lot of weight, you would see a difference. Maybe not in your weight, or in the way your clothes fit at first, but definitely in your energy.

If you watch TV, get up and MOVE every commercial break for an hour. Do jumping jacks the whole break, jog in place, do sit ups, push ups, dance, do ANYTHING other than sitting and it will make the difference.

There is a difference in being thin and being healthy. Just because you are thin does NOT mean you are healthy.
  • juicymisslucy
    juicymisslucy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You probably would. But....getting around and moving is wonderful for the soul, and, believe it or not you will have so much energy.
  • Scottmufcrvp1
    Scottmufcrvp1 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Theoretically, yes. BUT doing that could lead to all kinds of health problems. The best option would be to exercise. Obviously we all have different lifestyles, but if you set aside just 15 minutes a day, it will drastically improve your health. Although it may not cause you to lose a lot of weight, you would see a difference. Maybe not in your weight, or in the way your clothes fit at first, but definitely in your energy.

If you watch TV, get up and MOVE every commercial break for an hour. Do jumping jacks the whole break, jog in place, do sit ups, push ups, dance, do ANYTHING other than sitting and it will make the difference.

There is a difference in being thin and being healthy. Just because you are thin does NOT mean you are healthy.
    Ok thanks, I get about 30-60 minute exercise each day, on the week days I do about 40-50 minutes if walking, 300 push ups and I go on my trampoline for 10-15 minutes
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I think what you are asking is do you need to exercise...? No. You can lose just at a calorie deficit.

Calorie deficit = weight loss
    exercise = health

You may want to exercise to look better though.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Muscle atrophy.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You don't have to.

But I guarantee you'll feel better if you do. Exercise isn't just about losing weight, there are countless benefits to exercise.
  • JaysWays
    JaysWays Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    everyone should exercise. People that complain about not wanting to workout is because you probably haven't found your soul-mate workout yet. It took me awhile till I found mine lol Working out makes your body feel good, and mind.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    If you've ever seen someone waste away in a hospital bed because they aren't getting enough calories, yes, you can not exercise and lose weight.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if you eat at a deficit and do no exercise, yes you'll lose weight, but the risk of losing lean mass along with the fat would be high. if you lie in bed all day and eat at a deficit, the risk is higher still

unused muscle goes first. Even when you're not eating at a deficit, totally unused muscle will slowly atrophy, because evolution has favoured energy efficiency and surviving food shortages, and unused muscle is a liability in a food shortage (it consumes calories for no increased survival benefit... used muscle from an evolutionary perspective is necessary for hunting/food acquisition, therefore it has a survival benefit, so mechanisms to protect it in a food shortage have evolved). the less you use your muscles, then the more muscle tissue is at risk of being lost when you eat at a deficit. A bigger deficit and insufficient protein intake are also factors that increase the risk of muscle loss. Additionally, loss of bone density will occur as a result of doing no exercise, thus increasing the risk of osteoporosis

take home message: to minimise loss of lean mass while eating at a deficit, exercise (preferably including some kind of strength training) and eat plenty of protein, and don't go for too big a deficit............ but to answer your question, yes if you eat less than you burn you'll still lose weight without any exercise... just that it's not going to be only fat that you lose
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have a question, if you sat in bed for 24 hours and ate 1500 calories and didn't move and your BMR burns 2000 calories would you lose weight?

Of course. A lot of housebound or bedridden people lose weight.
  • omgtry
    omgtry Posts: 114
    Options
    this why o started im in a wheelchair for 22 years it has not been fun n i gain so much wtg i went 2 400 lbs but im 6'4 so it don't look like i am but soething woke me up i don\tr know what it was an when i find out i''l share it i promise
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    YES! ....I NEED Exercise, I don't know about anyone else. -It keeps me sane, makes me feel good, makes me look good and I enjoy it!
  • buildabetterbody66
    Options
    Many people lose weight without exercising. However, remember losing weight, doesn't mean only losing only body fat. The benefit of exercise is to help tone, build muscle so you can maintain muscle while losing fat. Think of pictures you have seen of people the same height/weight and some look fit and others fat. I want to be lean....not "skinny-fat".