Care Package

Options
Achrya
Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
I'll try to keep this brief: I'm sending my husband a care package. I'll be sending snack cakes, cheese puffs, M&M's, dried fruit, protein powder, and jerky (both beef and turkey.) I'd also like to send some protein bars, so I'm looking for suggestions.

Needs to: Have a good protein to Calorie ratio (So not 9 grams of protein for 200 calorie or something. No.)
Not taste like total crap
Not be Quest bars (He hates those)

Actual calorie count doesn't really matter (He strength trains 3 days a week and is adding 3 running days a week [short run, medium run, long run]) so don't feel like I need lower calorie suggestion. But Protein ratio matters. Did I mention that?

I'm also open to other snack suggestions but please remember: They have to survive a week or two of shipping and then being shoved into a locker until he eats it.

Replies

• sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Clif Builder bars. I love the mint chocolate and toffee myself.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I love the Pure Protein brand bars. The smaller version of them have 190 calories and 19 g of protein. However, they have a bigger bar that is more calories and more protein - IDK what though. I ONLY usually buy the double baked ones as they are kinda crunchy and don't have the protein bar taste/texture.

They have double baked chocolate vanilla and chocolate peanut butter. They do also make a Chocolate Caramel Cashew or something that's pretty good.

My protein bar world has been confined to these for a while as they have different sizes, taste good, and dont' have a ton of carbs. I'm sure other people will have some other amazing options so I'm interested to see!
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Power crunch bars
    peanut butter fudge and the chocolate..
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    is smoked salmon an option? it's vacuum packed so lasts a while. I love it the amount of protein and omega 3s is good for the number of calories.... not sure how long between going on sale and the expiry date though, i.e. if it'll keep long enough. It keeps for a while though... and I like eating it directly out of the pack (maybe I'm weird...)
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    bahahahahahah i gotta quest bar ad on the side of my screen right now.

I use a brand called "life choice"- i've only seen them at walmart. 21 g for 210 calories-ish in the peanut butter kind.

My mom was all "blech" but for a protein bar, they taste pretty good and aren't super carb-y.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Chorizo and some salami rings don't require refridgeration.
  • Achrya
    Options
    is smoked salmon an option? it's vacuum packed so lasts a while. I love it the amount of protein and omega 3s is good for the number of calories.... not sure how long between going on sale and the expiry date though, i.e. if it'll keep long enough. It keeps for a while though... and I like eating it directly out of the pack (maybe I'm weird...)

Hmm, I don't know. I went on a google search adventure and it looks like it's gotta be refrigerated and eaten withing 3 days of opening. I guess if I found smaller packages that's be okay, but I think I've only seen big ones at the store. But I'll look; he's a big salmon eater so he'd love that.

Thanks for all the bar suggestions everyone, I'm looking them all up for the details. It's appreciated.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options

I use a brand called "life choice"- i've only seen them at walmart. 21 g for 210 calories-ish in the peanut butter kind.

My mom was all "blech" but for a protein bar, they taste pretty good and aren't super carb-y.

I love these protein bars. They're really inexpensive, too.
  • Achrya
    Options

I love these protein bars. They're really inexpensive, too.

So two votes for that brand. Promising.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Clif Builder bars. I love the mint chocolate and toffee myself.

While I also love Clif everything, I have a friend who told me that it would be many years before he ate Clif Bars again because these, along with Pop Tarts, were given a certain rating (I cannot for the life of me remember the term used), which meant that these items were basically everywhere. He was with the Marines if that helps at all.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    How bout nuts? Great fats and protein! No refrig required-they travel well!
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Girl Scout Cookies. I think they are still being sold.