Need Peppermint Recipes---not necessarily "healthy" consciou

Options
My father is coming to visit. He LOVES peppermints! I want to give him a "food/candy," but want it to be more than just peppermints, but to include peppermint... Any recipe ideas are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Cocoa with peppermint schnapps!:drinker:
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've been making these peppermint patties for get-togethers over the last few weeks... everyone loves them and can't believe they're homemade, and they are SO delicious (and I find they're very easy) - here is the recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peppermint-Patties/Detail.aspx

They aren't low cal though!! :) Just make them small and then it's OK to have a few :)
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I make these - def not healthy but delicious - cake balls.

What you do is bake a cake, let it cool completely. Once cooled, crumble it into pieces in a large bowl.

Add frosting, mix well. Refrigerate that for about an hour so, then shape into balls and lay out on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and refrigerate over night. I use an oxo small cookie dough scoop for that part.

Melt chocolate (can use almond bark or tempered chocolate, which is a pain if you don't have a tempering unit) and dip the cake balls, then I usually sprinkle the tops with a topping of some sort.

I made one last week for someone using Dark Chocolate cake mix with Andes Baking Pieces inside, a chocolate buttercream frosting with melted Andes baking pieces, dipped in dark chocolate then sprinkled with crushed candy canes.

Once dipped they last about 2 weeks refrigerated.

Here's my website if you want to see what they look like or need ideas: www.courtneyscakeballs.com

ETA: If you use almond bark, my preference is to use the Vanilla as I don't care for the imitation chocolate kind. Use half almond bark and half chocolate chips - for the mint can even use the Andes ones, the chocolate sets the same and you get the good chocolate flavor :)
  • tmthorn0927
    tmthorn0927 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You could buy him Peppermint Tea. It taste good and is good for you. I love it!

Make Peppermint bark -very easy. Kraft recipe I believe.

:flowerforyou:
  • Coopertown3
    Coopertown3 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Check out the Hungry Girl e-mail sent today--it is for peppermint pie--looks really yummy!!!
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Those cake balls sound amazing!!!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I've been making peppermint bark for two days.
    12 small candy canes, smashed, a sack of GOOD white chocolate chips and 1/4 tsp of peppermint extract for the base; about 2/3 C mini chocolate chips for the top....

SO: melt white chips in double boiler. Stir in extract and canes. Spread on parchment paper to desired thickness (which should be fairly thin). Let cool.

Melt chocolate, spread quickly on hardened top of peppermint layer.
  • pines2palms
    Options
    What is the best way to melt chocolate if you don't have a double boiler, because I do not...
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    What is the best way to melt chocolate if you don't have a double boiler, because I do not...
    Take a pot of water and a bowl(metal) that fits on top without allowing water vapor in....it works like a double boiler. Just dont get water in the chocolate or it will sieze up(get all funky and unusable)
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it and am only suggesting it cause you said it doesn't have to be healthy lol

I saw this recipe I think in a grocery store flyer that was promoting a few products for the holidays, including some kind of peppermint icrecream. It was oreo cookie crumbs on the bottom, them softened peppermint icecream on top, then another layer of crumbs and another layer of icrecream, then to make it pretty they had some chocolate shavings on top.

It looks delicious!!! But I know if I make it, I will eat one piece, then my husband will finish it off. While that helps me, it doesn't help him. Maybe I will make it for new years when I have company visiting...hmmmm...
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Take a pot of water and a bowl(metal) that fits on top without allowing water vapor in....it works like a double boiler. Just dont get water in the chocolate or it will sieze up(get all funky and unusable)

This is a great way to temper chocolate but if you don't need it tempered you can microwave it but be careful not to scorch it. I do 25 seconds, stir and repeat. Closer to the end just do 15 to 20 seconds. When it's mostly melted but still has chunks just stir till melted.