Heart rate & Physical Ability?

Options
Weird question that I can't seem to find an answer to on Dr Google so hopefully someone can shed some light on it for me.

I am curious to know why I physically seem unable to get my heart rate in the "target zone" for cardio activities? As in, I am physically unable. I can jog on the treadmill at 5.5-5.9 and feel as though I am working for it (sweating, have to control breathing), but when I check my HR on the machine, it's barely at 140 when it should be at 160.

If I am physically unable to push myself harder, how am I supposed to get my heart rate higher?

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Maybe jogging at 5.0-5.5 isn't fast enough for you. Have you tried increasing speed? Adding incline?

Also are you relying on the HRM on the machine or a HRM? If you were using a HRM and the machine picked it up, it doesn't always show what your actual heart rate is that second. Sometimes it says I'm at 128 when I'm hitting the high 160s and takes a minute or so to reflect that.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The machine is not a medical quality device.

Oh, heart rate target zones are a poorly constructed myth. What, a person runs at 6 miles per hour for 45 minutes and they don't think they're burning any calories or fat because the HRM doesn't show that their pulse is in the proper zone?
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Use a real HRM that is on your body to monitor your heart rate if you really need to, or manually count your pulse for 10 secs and X it by 6. You can also ignore your HR and go by perceived exertion: if you are working up a sweat, are breathing faster than you normally do, but can carry on a conversation without gasping for breath then you are doing fine! :wink: Try running at 100% of your max effort for 30 seconds -- that will get your heart rate up there!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It means your heart is strong and you need to work harder!

Bump it up to 6.5-7MP. Or Increase your elevation, try 3 or 6 degrees.

Also, try holding a 2.5lb dumbbell in each hand when you jog. Also look into a weighted vest (Walmart $45). You'd be amazed what adding 5-10lbs to your body weight does to your heart rate.

When I train hard, I get to the point where my normal routine isn't enough, I can't get my HR up. That's when you have to step it up! This is a good thing. Your heart is strong.

Keep in mind how your heart recovers too. The faster the better. What if you sprint at 7-9MPH for about 30 seconds. (you can do ANYTHING for 30seconds). That will get your HR way up, then how quickly does it recover down to 135-140? 30 seconds? 60 seconds? A strong heart will recover quickly!
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions everyone, thanks :)! I just started redoing C25K and was happy that I was able to resume at week 4 instead of starting back at the beginning, but I will try to bump up my speed and get my heart rate higher! If needed, I will just start over at week 1 with a faster speed so I don't kill myself ;)!

Thanks!