How do you lose weight when you're so out of shape?

Options
Hello, I am trying to lose about 25 pounds (all of which I gained from depression/binge eating) but I am having such a hard time exercising. Before all of this happened, I used to be able to run 6 miles 6 days a week and do strength training and yoga a couple of times a week too. Now whenever I try to go for an outdoor run, all I can do is run for about 30 seconds. Today I tried again, and basically just walked for 15 minutes because I was so out of shape and couldn't run for more than 30 seconds, not to mention it is so hard when my stomach fat keeps flopping up and down ugh. When I go to the gym it takes me about 2 hours to burn the same calories I used to be able to burn in one, and I don't have the time to always be there for more than 2 hours with my school schedule (plus my gym is a long walk to and from, and I'm a college student at a GIANT university and sometimes it is too crowded that I have to wait for machines to free up). I really want this weight gone in the next couple of months (it has been on for a year now because I haven't been able to work out due to my depression/anxiety/being so out of shape), but I just can't picture myself losing an ounce since I can't really do any cardio, which is essential to burn fat. HELP!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
  • piercedee
    piercedee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about trying C25K? It starts out with short runs with walking mixed in and can get you back running.

Also eating at a deficit is all you technically need but if you like working out find something... One quote I love is "no matter how slow you go you are still lapping everyone on the couch"
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    ^This. Weight loss comes from your diet. However, if you also want to address your 'being out of shape', start of slow with walking. Walk your butt off. Once you've gotten your endurance up, then I recommend starting something like c25k.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Of these 40 pounds, fully half of them came off with barely any exercise.

Then my feet and knees stopped hurting so much from not having to carry so much weight around, and I started exercising more and more. Now I'm losing weight still AND I get to eat, so it's win-win. Oh, and by exercise? I mean walking 2-3 times per week and strength training 2-3 times per week and maybe an exercise DVD or 2 thrown in every once in a while if the weather was bad.

You can do it, if you eat at a calorie deficit. You have to accurately track your intake. Don't try 2lbs/week at the beginning, until you are able to exercise more.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Start slow. Walk w/ short runs and just try to up your run length until you get to where you want to be. I've lost quite a bit of weight and never stepped into a gym.

Like it was already said, to lose weight you just have to eat at a deficit.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I started on here in a wheelchair. Then graduated to crutches. I'm still on crutches. I am practically housebound and have developed a debilitating illness. None of these stopped me. At all! If you want to lose weight, eat in a calorie deficit. That's all you need to do. If you want to get fitter, start off with walking and build from there. If I can do it, so can you!
  • CharleeCali
    CharleeCali Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just walk for now, even if it's just 15 minutes. Work your way up slowly. Focus more on your eating until you're more comfortable with the exercising part.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    You have to rebuild your endurance again. Start slow, and add a little to it every week or so.
  • goldie21047
    goldie21047 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I remember, several years ago, I was talking to my doc about how I'd like to lose some weight. I'd been mowing the lawn with a push mower and was telling her of my efforts to get in some exercise. Her response was "you gotta get your heart rate up" (to that magical fat burning rate). What a load of . . . nonsense! Too bad she didn't say ''you gotta eat less!" 'cause right there's the truth!!

I've been playing tennis an average of 3 times a week and doing Pilates on my off days for about 5 years. I didn't lose weight until I paid attention to the amount of food I was eating. It's mostly about the food. I haven't changed my exercise habits in the past year, but I have changed my eating habits. I've lost 45 lbs. Eat less, lose weight -- whether you move more or not. Exercise for fitness.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Use MFP. Use a food scale. Eat to target.