My TDEE vs eating exercise cals - help!

Options
Hi there and sorry for being a bit of a noob.

I'm a 22yo female, 165cm, 156lbs. I've just started exercising 3x/week at the gym (cardio and resistance), want to lose 1lb/week. I've lost 15lbs so far. :)

This is where the confusion comes in -

My TDEE from the Scooby site is 1884, but MFP says to eat 1380 (plus exercise cals).

Which one do I do?

Thanks so much in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Honestly it is up to you and you really should give something a "test run" anyway. Just because that is what a website says doesn't mean it's going to work.

I prefer TDEE as it's a flat number every day, so even if I do something more than my normal workouts that burn calories I don't even think about eating them back. They will just help me in the long run of losing more weight.

Also I think the TDEE method would be easier for a lot of beginners. To me the method of eating back what you burn is a recipe for disaster as the way MFP calculates the burn for a peticular excercise could be completely off.

Oh I just burned 1000 calories on the eliptical in 20 minutes! Really? Did you?

As always, your mileage may vary and you need to find out what works best for you. Try something for a week and see how it goes. If it seems to be working, go another week to verify and continue from there. If not, adjust accordinly.

Edit*** My ability to type this week has gone out the window.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    TDEE = 1884 - 15% = 1602
    You should take a 15% deduction with the amount of weight you need to lose.

How many pounds per week did you tell MFP you want to lose? 1 Pound is appropriate for the amount of weight you need to lose.

You pick one or the other and do it. It should come out somewhere in the same neighborhood. A properly set MFP + exercise calories should be in the same ballpark as a properly set TDEE - % goal.

1380 + exercise calories 300 = 1680.

TDEE - 15% = 1600
  • lshmoose
    lshmoose Posts: 4
    Options
    WHAT ARE TDEE FROM THE SCOOBY SITE AND WHAT IS MFP. SOUNDS AS IF YOU ARE TRYING TO WORK TO DIFFERENT PROGRAMS WHICH NEVER WORKS. FOLLOW ONE. MAYBE IF YOU FOLLOWED THE SCOOBY SITE ONE WEEK AND SEE HOW YOU DO AND THEN FOLLOW THE MFP SITE. MAYBE YOU COULD JUST CHECK OUT THIS SITE AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY UNDER EXERCISE. IF YOU TRY TO LISTEN TO ALL DIFFERENT SITES IT NEVER WORKS. THERE IS A FORMULA FOR GETTING DOWN TO YOUR GOAL WEIGHT. I USED TO KNOW IT BUT NOW CAN'T REMEMBER. ASK YOUR COMPUTER THAT QUESTION AND SEE WHAT IT SAYS. ALSO STICK TO ALOT OF WATER, AND VEGGIES. THAT IS ALWAYS A SURE FIRE HELP. HOPE YOU ARE GETTING TWO OZ OF PROTEIN AT ALL MEALS AT LEAST. SOUNDS LIKE IF YOU HAVE LOST 15 LBS YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK.
    WELL THAT IS MY 2 CENTS. HOPE IT IS A LITTLE HELPFUL. TAKE CARE. KEEP WORKING AT IT AND YOU WILL GET THERE. LOSING THIS WEIGHT IS A LIFE STYLE NOT A QUICK FIX FOR GETTING OFF WEIGHT. TAKE AND DO SOMETHING THAT YOU CAN STICK TO FOR A LIFE TIME.
    TAKE CARE AGAIN AND GOOD LUCK.

LINDA
  • hilly510
    hilly510 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Like the other posters said, it should come out to about the same number. Personally, I like to see myself eating back exercise calories. It does good things for my motivation. Plus my body likes eating different amounts on different days, keeps the metabolism guessing.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    WHAT ARE TDEE FROM THE SCOOBY SITE AND WHAT IS MFP. SOUNDS AS IF YOU ARE TRYING TO WORK TO DIFFERENT PROGRAMS WHICH NEVER WORKS. FOLLOW ONE. MAYBE IF YOU FOLLOWED THE SCOOBY SITE ONE WEEK AND SEE HOW YOU DO AND THEN FOLLOW THE MFP SITE.

No, don't do this. It takes longer than a week to see results.
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Like the other posters said, it should come out to about the same number. Personally, I like to see myself eating back exercise calories. It does good things for my motivation. Plus my body likes eating different amounts on different days, keeps the metabolism guessing.

Very valid point of choosing MFP vs TDEE right there.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's kind of personal preference, it generally ends up in the same place. If your exercise is sporatic, you are probably better going with MFP, but if it's pretty consitant, TDEE works great. Keep in mind that if you choose to do TDEE and log your exercise, MFP will add them to you calorie goal regardless. Many people will thus log exercise calories as "1" to avoid this.
  • squidneyhan
    squidneyhan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sorry - meant to say my TDEE-20% is 1884.

I guess neither is "better" you should pick one and run with it? Eating my exercise cals back is good for my motivation but then there's conflicting advice about whether to eat them all back or not.

Thank you for your advice everyone - i really appreciate it!
  • zenhiker2014
    zenhiker2014 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

My TDEE from the Scooby site is 1884, but MFP says to eat 1380 (plus exercise cals).

Which one do I do?

These numbers actually match perfectly if you are trying to lose 1 lb per week. TDEE is your total expenditure, or what you should should eat to maintain weight at the activity level you used in the calculator. To lose weight you would have to eat less.

A calorie deficit of 500/day comes out to a pound a week (7x500=3500 calories)

So MFP is telling you to eat 1380 to lose weight, which is 500 below the TDEE from the Scooby site, which is a calorie target that should result in about a 1 lb loss each week. If you exercise more than the amount you put in the calculator, you can eat more and still lose at the same rate.

Does that help?

Edit: Oops, never mind. I just saw your post saying the 1884 figure was TDEE-20%
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I have used both the TDEE and MFP method; this is why I use the MFP method. You just need to be sure you are calculating exercise calories accurately.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I guess neither is "better" you should pick one and run with it? Eating my exercise cals back is good for my motivation but then there's conflicting advice about whether to eat them all back or not.

If you're unsure, eat 3/4 of them back or 1/2 of them if you're not very hungry.
  • hilly510
    hilly510 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Yes. For instance, I take what the elliptical says I burn in 30 minutes and plug it into MFP. When I lift weights, I use MFP's strength training cardio option. Then I eat back all of those exercise calories. So far, it has worked for me, so I haven't fussed with it. Decide now if you want to eat 50-100% of exercise calories back and just stick to it. If you keep changing your mind and trying different things, you're not going to know what's working.
  • deksgrl
    Options

Okay, since you are only 16 pounds from goal weight, you should take a smaller deficit. 15%. When you get to 10 pounds from goal, make it 10% deficit. (or setting MFP to half a pound a week)

What I like about the TDEE -% method is I eat the same amount every day. I don't have to worry about how accurate my calorie burn on the exercise is (one of the major drawbacks of the MFP method, unless you use a heart rate monitor, your calories could be overestimated). But as others have mentioned, they like the motivation of getting to eat back exercise cals. Ultimately that is your choice.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

If you keep changing your mind and trying different things, you're not going to know what's working.

This has been a massive stumbling block for me! Well maybe not "massive," as I have managed to lose 63lbs however I am constantly second-guessing myself. It sucks. It's a mental drain. It keeps me apprehensive. Don't fall into the trap! Pick a method, pick a number, and stick with it MINIMUM 4 weeks before deciding if it is working for you. If it's not your thing after the 4 week trial, THEN make a switch. Chances are you didn't get fat overnight, or in a week - you're not going to see results that fast, either. *

*except in cases of morbid obesity, sometimes people with a *lot* to lose, lose super fast in the beginning but it always should taper off to a reasonable 2 lb or less a week
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options

TDEE includes your exercise, so you must not eat back any exercise calories when using TDEE. That would be double dipping.

The MFP default calorie goal includes your activity level & deficit, but no exercise. Therefore, you must eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories. The calorie counts & burns are estimates, so some people reduce the margin of error by eating back a portion of their exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • VanillaSmile427
    Options
    Hmmm... I would use the iifym calc.. i found it to be more accurate than scooby.. by inputting your stats for 15% fat loss and working out 3X at 5' 5" at 156 lbs your suggested is 1718 calories/day... I've had success with it. to me it's easier sticking to one target every day vs.. adding exercise and eating some back.. nah.. to much hassle.. i workout whenever i want and just stick to my calories and ive been loosing steadily! i would recommend using this one:

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

So yeah I just use MFP to track calories and macros.. like everyone said MFP calories burn exercise can be way off!! so you could be overeating on days you exercise so i prefer to stick to a higher number throughout the week. good luck!
  • jec0508
    jec0508 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been eating my "sedentary" calories plus all exercise calories. And for my burned calories, I go by whatever MFP tells me I burned. I've been losing about 1lb/ week. This method works so much better for me since it actually gets me to go to the gym... I don't think I would if I just are more calories everyday if I went by my TDEE. Whatever works for you though!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Okay, since you are only 16 pounds from goal weight, you should take a smaller deficit. 15%. When you get to 10 pounds from goal, make it 10% deficit. (or setting MFP to half a pound a week)

What I like about the TDEE -% method is I eat the same amount every day. I don't have to worry about how accurate my calorie burn on the exercise is (one of the major drawbacks of the MFP method, unless you use a heart rate monitor, your calories could be overestimated). But as others have mentioned, they like the motivation of getting to eat back exercise cals. Ultimately that is your choice.

I agree with you...I like to know at the beginning of that day what I can eat...helps me plan better.

I also didn't want to fall in the trap of just exercising so that I could eat extra. I want my execise to be about fitness.

Maybe it just depends on how ones mind works.

I used my TDEE figure based on 3x a week...when actually I try to a least walk 6 times a week plus maybe a few other low intensity things. That is where I get my extra calories from if by some chance I want to splurge a little bit on the weekend. So far this has worked for me.