C25k

Options
Hey everyone,

So I have never really been a runner, however, I have walked or jogged frequently. Well, this past week I started a couch to 5k. The first two runs felt awesome. Today, the 3rd run, my muscles felt a little more tight. It felt like more of a struggle. However, I did the same speed and distance as run 2.

Do you suggest continuing on to week 2(90s run, 3m walk), or doing week 1 again(60sR/90sW)?

Replies

• jeyloz
    jeyloz Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi, I started C25K this week, today will be my third workout. I am ridiculously unfit and would never call myself a runner. The first session was great but I struggled with the second because my muscles were sore. I'm really looking forward to today's session as my muscles are well rested, so I guess it's all dependant on how you feel at the time. I think it's important to remember that the programmes are just guides, everybody progresses at different rates, if you feel like you could use a little longer on week one then stick with it, you might find that after two more goes you're really ready to move on. I'll see how I feel after today's session, but I'm pretty sure I'll be repeating week 1, just until my body starts to get used to it.

Good luck! Feel free to add me and we can check in and motivate each other through the programme! :)
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Take your time, and repeat a week if you feel needed. This program will work. I'm not a runner. But I have done 5 5ks . This year I'm doing a 10k. Keep telling yourself that you can do this. Good luck.
  • littlecumbercookie
    Options
    I want to try the C25K app too, but I don't know what I'm waiting for. I guess it's time!

I did run a 6km marathon a few months back, but I honestly don't know how I did it. During my training sessions, I just can't seem to run for more than 3-4 mins at a stretch. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and it's been about 4 months now. It's driving me nuts.

Hopefully, C25K will help!
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I started this week as well!! So far I love it went 2.06 miles on the first day. I'm considering not alternating days because I love it so much but it sounds like it catches up with you so maybe I should take them off. Good luck to all of you!
  • ashmarie8722
    ashmarie8722 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Well The first week isn't the problem I could do this every day I think, but When I do stuff like that i hurt my knee or ankle. So i am sticking to every other, and i got a fitness app for abs and arms that i do on the "off days"
  • christmre
    christmre Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just started this app today, couldn't believe how out of shape I am, lol. You could always try week 2 next week, and if it doesn't feel right you can go back and repeat the first week, make sure you are taking your rest days, it will really help. Also, make sure you are stretching properly after you exercise, it will help with the muscle tightness.
  • momma2azoo
    momma2azoo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I did w6d3 today. This is the 2nd time I've done C25K. It's a great program. I was running 4+ miles a few days a week before an accident. I'm finally working my way back to that.

Take your rest days. It's silly not to. When you pick up a new activity it takes time fore your muscles, bones and connective tissue to adjust. If you don't give them time to rest and heal you'll continue to break them down and end up injured. The start of the program is fairly easy, but it's smart to start good habits right away. Tale your rest days and use those days to work your upper body.

Personally, after a rest day if I'm only mildly sore I run. It's normal to be a little sore. If you have sharp pain, swelling or heat don't run through that. I often find that at first I have to run through a little tightness until my muscles warm up then the run feels easier.

Remember that when you get to the longer runs! I usually feel worse the first mile, then my muscles get warm and loose and running feels great until my muscles get fatigued.

Stick with the program. The further you get into it and once you finish it and start adding distance you'll really appreciate how well planned out the increases in c25k are.

Oh, and go slow! Really slow. Don't expect to actually finish 5k in 30 min right away. Target running for 30 min. As you get stronger and more fit you will pick up speed. Endurance comes first. It's better to run the whole interval slowly than to run too fast and have to walk.
  • ashmarie8722
    Options
    I did w6d3 today. This is the 2nd time I've done C25K. It's a great program. I was running 4+ miles a few days a week before an accident. I'm finally working my way back to that.

Take your rest days. It's silly not to. When you pick up a new activity it takes time fore your muscles, bones and connective tissue to adjust. If you don't give them time to rest and heal you'll continue to break them down and end up injured. The start of the program is fairly easy, but it's smart to start good habits right away. Tale your rest days and use those days to work your upper body.

Personally, after a rest day if I'm only mildly sore I run. It's normal to be a little sore. If you have sharp pain, swelling or heat don't run through that. I often find that at first I have to run through a little tightness until my muscles warm up then the run feels easier.

Remember that when you get to the longer runs! I usually feel worse the first mile, then my muscles get warm and loose and running feels great until my muscles get fatigued.

Stick with the program. The further you get into it and once you finish it and start adding distance you'll really appreciate how well planned out the increases in c25k are.

Oh, and go slow! Really slow. Don't expect to actually finish 5k in 30 min right away. Target running for 30 min. As you get stronger and more fit you will pick up speed. Endurance comes first. It's better to run the whole interval slowly than to run too fast and have to walk.

Great Advice and support! Thanks :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Today, the 3rd run, my muscles felt a little more tight. It felt like more of a struggle.

It's a system of progressive loading, you're muscles will get used to the demands, so I wouldn't worry about it and just move on to week two
  • jeyloz
    Options
    Anyone had issues with blisters? I'm wearing running shoes that I've had for a while and are so comfortable, but I keep getting a blister in the same place. It doesn't bother me whilst running but oh my is it painful the next day! I have awful anyway all shoes kill me! Just wondering if any of you know a way to tackle it?
  • Flood73
    Flood73 Posts: 15
    Options
    Anyone had issues with blisters? I'm wearing running shoes that I've had for a while and are so comfortable, but I keep getting a blister in the same place. It doesn't bother me whilst running but oh my is it painful the next day! I have awful anyway all shoes kill me! Just wondering if any of you know a way to tackle it?

You could try an anti-chafing gel or maybe play around with a different way to tie your sneakers:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/custom-tie-your-running-shoes
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    The C25K app allows you to go for time or distance. If you're slow, you might want to start with the timed one. This is what I did. The timed one works you up to 30 minutes of jogging, and for me, that was only about 2 miles! After I completed the timed program, I went back and did the same program, but this time for distance.

I also hit a mental block around weeks 3-4. I didn't think I would make it. Everything hurt. I hated running. This was stupid. But I made a deal with myself that I would finish the program no matter what, and after that I would never have to run again if I didn't want to (by week 7 I was addicted to running).

If you're very heavy, you might want to consider taking 2 days off between runs. I was 250 pounds when I started, which was very difficult on my ankles and lower legs. I realized I needed an extra recovery day, so I did that, running twice a week and doing aerobics or circuit training on the off days. I also elevated my feet for 2 minutes every night, and iced my feet and ankles, and took ibuprofen. Also, stretching, stretching, stretching.

The lighter you get, the easier it will be on your body. I'm still slow, but I no longer need to ice my feet or stretch constantly. It's a process. Take it slowly and don't give up. :smile:
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I too started c25k this week. I've been averaging about 4 out of 8 minutes for jogging so I definitely plan to do week 1 again next week. After day 1, I had such an "I'm so proud of myself" feeling that it lasted 2 days. It was amazing.
  • swaring125
    swaring125 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through all the comments yet, but I only redo a week if I walked when I was supposed to run. I don't worry too much if I'm sore, tight, or having a not great day because it happens regardless of what exercise we do. But it's whatever you feel comfortable with!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I started this week as well!! So far I love it went 2.06 miles on the first day. I'm considering not alternating days because I love it so much but it sounds like it catches up with you so maybe I should take them off. Good luck to all of you!

Be careful. Don't do more than it calls for or you are setting yourself up for an injury. It's only 8 weeks. Don't tap out in week 5 due to overtraining.
  • ashmarie8722
    Options
    So I did week 2 on accident, and it was fine. :) Actually felt great. Keep it up!
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Great job on doing week 2. If I had a rough day 3 on any week, I would try day 1 of the next week. If it felt fine, I kept doing, if it didn't, then I went back and redid the week.
  • jeyloz
    Options
    I should be doing Week 2 Day 1 today, initially I had planned to repeat week 1 because my fitness level sucks, but during my last session I found myself saying 'I probably could've done a bit more if I really pushed myself' so now I'm thinking I should just got for week 2. It's just the hills that scare me!
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Be careful. Don't do more than it calls for or you are setting yourself up for an injury. It's only 8 weeks. Don't tap out in week 5 due to overtraining.

Yeah I thought better of it after reading about other people getting burned out. I decided to go on a 4 mile walk instead yesterday and didn't overwhelm my self. Jeyloz you can always try week 2 day 1 and if its to hard go back to week one there is no harm in trying and if it hurts pause the program and go back.
  • jeyloz
    Options
    I'm heading out on a run in a little while, I'm definitely gonna try week 2, I want the progress!