newly diagonised with celiac and trying to lose weight!

Options
Hey ive recently been diagnosed with celiacs disease and really want to lose at least 1.6 stone to get to the weight I was last year and felt more comfortable/confident. Decided to start using fitness pal put all my food diary entries in and Im no where near my daily calorie intake.. ive tried gluten free breads but not too keen... anyone on here that eats gluten free and is attempting to lose weight? thanks x

Replies

• mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I eat gluten free and have an open diary for friends. You can add me. Do you have a particular question? I generally stay away from gluten free carbs though and concentrate on whole foods that do not come from packages (unless we are talking about Betty Crocker's gluten free chocolate chip cookie mix).
  • Tight_Fit
    Tight_Fit Posts: 453
    Options
    I sent you a friends request, I actually just posted today an amazing recipe for gluten free, grain free muffins!
  • astagliano
    Options
    I am allergic to gluten and am lactose intolerant as well. I eat a lot of gluten free pasta, rice, and potatoes as far as carbs go. Sometimes I live off of rice and/or corn Chex, I can't tell you the last time I had a sandwich or a hamburger with a bun on it, It takes some getting used to but its worth it for how good no gluten makes you feel. There are a lot of gluten free products out there now, just look around and I'm sure you will find things you love that will make you not even miss gluten!
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    I'm gluten free as well- feel free to add me.

I've found it's generally easier and tastier to stick with one-ingredient foods, and food that are naturally gluten free. So: chicken, seafood, veggies, fruits, rice (& rice noodles), corn (& corn tortillas), potatoes, nuts, eggs, cheese, milk, yogurt (check labels), etc. You can make an amazing variety of delicious gluten free foods with that list as a starting point.

Omelets, fritattas, all kinds of chicken/ fish/ seafood dishes, tacos, asian noodle dishes (rice noodles, and sub tamari for soy sauce), salads, roast veggies, soups, stir fries over rice. I even do a cauliflower-based pizza which sounds really weird and is utterly delicious topped with mushrooms, red peppers, and pesto. I also do a great pancake made with gluten free oats, bananas, and coconut.

It is a huge adjustment at first, and eating out can be a major challenge at times. It gets a lot easier as you go and know what you can rely on.
  • grainfreemama
    grainfreemama Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am gluten and dairy free. I have found what worked for me was not replacing gluten products-that is, I just don't eat pasta, bread etc. anymore. I do highly recommend it! I have felt great since I cut out grains! :)