Slim Fast to start?

Options
FatMomma89
FatMomma89 Posts: 81 Member
I've been trying to do it on my own but its not working. Tomorrow I'm starting slim fast to help get my body used to eating less and shrinking my stomach. Did anyone else try this and did it work?

Replies

• Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Uggh, can't stand the taste of slim fast. I began by limiting my carbs. Gave up diet soda, and sugar. I would make a protein shake for breakfast and lunch, and eat a healthy dinner. Went from zero exercising, to going to the gym three times a week. You can go to a health store and have them suggest a good protein powder, and make your own to your personal taste. Much healthier and better tasting than slimfast.

Best of luck!
  • FatMomma89
    Options
    I've been working out about 48 minutes or more most days and eating less trying to hit my target of 1260 a day but still nothing. I did end up losing 1 inch on my thighs and half an inch in my waist but the half inch was gained in my c-section flap.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    How much are you losing a week? Are you sure the impatience isn't setting in and getting the better of you?

Working out makes us gain water which hides fat loss. Even your measurements stay the same. Mine do this for weeks at a time then I'll suddenly drop just the amount I calculated I would.

Don't panic and set yourself up on a starve binge pattern!

If it's any consolation I've lost less than half a pound of fat in one month and I'm happy about it! Netting 1600 per day. It's all in my master plan.

Trust the numbers! Log, weigh everything and mostly be patient!! Delay that gratification!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    it is not working because you are eating too much.

slim fast has nothing to do with weight loss, and you cannot "shrink" your stomach…

Why is not working?

Do you own a food scale? Weigh/log/measure everything?

what is going to happen when you stop using slim fast…? are you really going to drink it for life?

if you make sensible changes now, you can have long term success and keep the weight off.

calorie deficit = weight loss….
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Slimfast is like any other "diet" fad. It works because it puts you in a calorie deficit. But you can eat real food and be in a calorie deficit. The thing about diets is that they don't work in the long term because you haven't changed your eating habits. You use the slimfast until you get tired of it, then you go back to your old habits that didn't change. Perhaps you're different and you'll find a way to change your habits while you are on slimfast. Best of luck with your weight loss journey.
  • aishmartin
    aishmartin Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I use it. Sent you a pm.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat real food at a deficit? Why do people make things more complicated than they need to be?

tumblr_m4016qhlHg1rolvqk.gif
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't enjoy drinking my meal and I don't like diets. I started this because I wanted to make permanent changes in my life with the way I eat, what I eat and exercising.

I enjoy food so I started by adding more exercise to burn more calories so I could eat more. My allotted calorie intake is 1200, if I burn 200 calories I can actually eat 1400 calories.

The first thing I did was take out high calorie foods that offered no nutrition values, sweets, potato chips, fried foods, diet soda. Believe me you won't miss them. I now eat better, feel better and the weight comes off slowly but surely and it will stay off.

Good Luck to you.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I don't use slim fast for weight loss. I use it as food in my college classes because you can't eat in them. xD I'm there eight-nine hours a day two days a week with no real breaks so it's useful for keeping me satisfied so I can get my classes done, but other than that, I don't drink them outside of school unless I'm sick and need to get protein in my and can't eat it.
  • FatMomma89
    Options
    Shrinking your stomach is when you don't feel hungry all the time. That is what I am trying do do. Here is info from WebMD on it.

Myth or Fact: If you cut down on your food intake, you'll eventually shrink your stomach so you won't be as hungry.

Answer: Myth. Once you are an adult, your stomach pretty much remains the same size -- unless you have surgery to intentionally make it smaller. Eating less won't shrink your stomach, says Moyad, but it can help to reset your "appetite thermostat" so you won't feel as hungry, and it may be easier to stick with your eating plan.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat real food at a deficit? Why do people make things more complicated than they need to be?

Lol this. Or make your own protein shake....it'd be better for you
  • lauriebeakley1
    Options
    I use Slim Fast shakes & meal bars for convenience and it has helped me. I don't always have the time to make something to eat because I'm always running around.
  • FatMomma89
    Options
    I use Slim Fast shakes & meal bars for convenience and it has helped me. I don't always have the time to make something to eat because I'm always running around.

I don't have a lot of time either. I have 4 little ones some with special needs and 3 dogs and more... So really dinner is the main meal we eat at home the kids go to school so they eat there.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I've been working out about 48 minutes or more most days and eating less trying to hit my target of 1260 a day but still nothing. I did end up losing 1 inch on my thighs and half an inch in my waist but the half inch was gained in my c-section flap.

Who set that target? I asked because it's pretty low so I am wondering if you are eating enough. Are you drinking plenty of water as well?
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Shakes work but real food is better.
    Shakes work but when you come off them you still have to work out how to use real food.
    A lot of people who lose weight with shakes put it back on when they stop using them.
    Check you are logging everything and loving correctly. If you are you may have set your weight loss too low. Eating too much = fail but surprisingly eating too little =Fail
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Are you only eating 1260 calories a day? If so I think your body is trying to conserve calories. I eat just under 2000 calories a day and I have been losing very well the past few weeks. I exercise 3 to 4 times a week for about half an hour, more if I feel like it. U need a lot of nutrition and 1260 calories just doesn't cut it.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I agree that your calories seem low. I have the c-section 'flap' still too. I know darn well I need to lift more. I guess its time for me to do that. Want to join me?
  • CardiC333
    CardiC333 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    No. :|
  • FatMomma89
    Options
    My goal is my pre pregnant weight (133) and my goal date is May 15 2015 and that is what my app gave me. But most of the time I have calories left over like yesterday (3\22\14) I had 622 leftover.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options

I completely agree. It's not about shrinking your stomach, it's about knowing what you put in your body. Eat more veggies and you'll feel full on less calories. Slim fast isn't going to make you feel full anymore than pizza rolls will.