loosing weight, what they don't tell you..

Options
Thought this was a needed post for people who are just starting with weightloss, its to prepare for the realistic changes your body goes through during and after a big weightloss

Firstly BOOBS, or what boobs? like a lot of people they were the first to disappear on me :(

Clothes- I have had to give away/donate so much of my clothes as nothing fits! bet you're thinking thats great! wrong! i went on holiday in august 2013 and bought a whole new wardrobe, went to try everything on again as going away in April and NOTHING FITS, i didn't think id lost that much since then but apparently i had...right now i cant seem to find clothes that fit! a UK 10 is too big and a UK 8 is too small!

Confidence- this might not apply to many is even any but i have found that since loosing weight i am actually less confident in some ways! mainly because im so aware of every part of my body and what i want to change

Slight obsession- Again this may not be a lot of people but i have found that i ended up obsessively weighing myself daily, and getting depressed if the scale moved up! i have no stopped weighing myself and started to look at measurements

This is all just the negative side to MY own journey of weightloss, i have many positives too :)

Replies

• motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    My boobs are always the last thing to go :( Weight drops off my shoulders which results in them being even more of a liability. Guess you can't please all of us girls all of the time :laugh:

I find I get more confident as I become less acutely aware of my size.

We are all different - let's just enjoy the benefits of feeling fitter and having more energy!

ETA I did mean to say congratulations on your weight loss - looking great! :flowerforyou:
  • EllennD
    EllennD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Haha yeah everyones different! Im still happy with everything!

Thank you and you!
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Yep....sad days about the lack of boobs..

People forget to tell you how cold you will be, all the time.

Agreed on the less confident too,but figure it's just a case of getting used to new figure, had the old one a while :)
  • EllennD
    EllennD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Oh yes thats another big one! Always being cold when the larger people at work open the windows!

edit to remove 'fat' people to larger :)
  • youtalkfunny
    Options
    --Buy your clothes second-hand! I never used to go to thrift stores, because I could never find anything in size 4XL. I'd have to go to the Fat Guy Store and pay $50 for pair of pants. Now that I'm a normal size, those thrift stores ROCK! I've never had nice clothes in my life, now I've got a closet full of stuff like Polo, LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, Nike, Champion, etc. I've had to empty the closet 2-3 times going from a 4XL to an L (and I haven't given up on M yet!). That stuff is a lot easier to give away when you got it for 90% off!

--Wish I could lose MY boobs. I'm getting pretty jacked around the arms/shoulders/chest, but when you lose this much weight, you can't "work off" loose skin.

--I just saw your pics. You are ROCKING! If confidence is an issue for you, it's completely unrelated to losing weight.

--I'm with you on the obsession thing. I literally can't go 30 seconds without thinking about it. It's the first thing I think of when I open my eyes in the morning. I guess I'm just making up for lost time, as my first 46 years on this planet, I never spent two seconds thinking about it, which is how I ran it up to size 4XL. I finally figured out that the scale fluctuations are far less frustrating when you only allow yourself to step on it one day per week (my weigh-in day is Friday). It also took me a long time to learn how to bite my tongue and stop talking about it nonstop. I'm allowed to THINK about it all I want, but I now don't TALK about it unless somebody else brings up the topic.

--The only negative thing I'll add to your list: you're 19, so this won't apply to you, but I'm 47, and I've never set any money aside for my retirement! Go look at my pic, do you think I ever imagined I'd grow old? Now I'm nice and healthy and will probably live into my 70's and 80's...I'm screwed! :)
  • youtalkfunny
    Options
    Great point about the cold, Lucy. I absolutely picked the wrong winter to take off a 200-lb blanket! And guess where I moved to just before I lost all this weight? MINNESOTA!!! I've been wearing long underwear every day and night since mid-December...and I work indoors!

Actually, the past 4-5 days I was able to go with normal underwear...it felt like going commando, compared to the thermals! Don't worry, though, it's 7 degrees F tonight (-14C), I'm back in the long johns.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    There is a post like this but it takes a "tongue in cheek" look at it.

In other words it's funny not sad.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Loose skin. Oh, but yay, you've lost weight and you're more confident, so you take up a hobby where you need to wear tank tops and shorts, and sometimes you have to uncover your belly! ...and then jump around doing warm ups... or go upside down... And it's like you're wearing a flesh-coloured sack. All that loose skin becomes super apparent and for that moment you feel uglier than you ever did when you were fat. (But you don't quit, because the group is amazingly supportive and you love your new hobby)
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    That your feet might shrink! I know I was carrying water and fat around my ankles, but I went down 1.5 sizes and also went from wide width to normal size. I had to eventually get rid of all of my cute shoes, flip-flops and boots because they no longer fit!

Edited to add...

That shaving might be different after losing. I hacked my leg while shaving many times after I started developing muscles and when tendons started to become visible.

I even had to get used to shaving under my arms because I was not used to that concave. This was something else I never heard or thought of until it happened!
  • dragonhaslanded3
    Options
    Any remedies for helping with loose skin ? I aim to lose a lot of weight over the next year and am a bit concious about loose skin
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Loose skin. Oh, but yay, you've lost weight and you're more confident, so you take up a hobby where you need to wear tank tops and shorts, and sometimes you have to uncover your belly! ...and then jump around doing warm ups... or go upside down... And it's like you're wearing a flesh-coloured sack. All that loose skin becomes super apparent and for that moment you feel uglier than you ever did when you were fat. (But you don't quit, because the group is amazingly supportive and you love your new hobby)

This. I feel like I am swapping a fat body for a saggy one. At 23! Sad times! Im just hoping it will shrink back in given some time to catch up, I really dont want to have the body of an old lady at this age... I started bellydancing classes again last week and I was the only one covering my belly up lol.

I agree with the OP about the boobs. The weight loss combined with me breastfeeding seems to have sucked the life out of mine :/

Also people dont tell you that it can take a while for your brain to catch up with how you look now. So many people are always telling me I have lost more weight and I am looking good. I know I have lost weight because the scale says I have but to me I dont look much different (albeit saggier).
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You look amazing op, you should be confident in your skin!

I'm also frustrated with clothes shopping..my size 12s are no longer an option. I am between a 10 and a 8 (UK)...10 feel loose and comfy but 8 look better but are uncomfortable. I have 1lb to go to goal and I hope that helps me settle into a size 8 :)
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I started changing my eating habits 5-6 years ago .......

My hubby & I had a memorial service for my boobs the very first year :laugh:

I've worn a path to the local Goodwill dropping off my clothing donations ....... and my husband's stuff as well !

My marriage was sort of rocky before because of ME ...... I was a MISERABLE overweight person ...... but things are MUCH better now :heart:

Right now my only "negative" is that I don't get a free pass on anything ....... I'm actually EXPECTED to pull my fair share of the workload !
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Thought this was a needed post for people who are just starting with weightloss, its to prepare for the realistic changes your body goes through during and after a big weightloss

Firstly BOOBS, or what boobs? like a lot of people they were the first to disappear on me :(

Clothes- I have had to give away/donate so much of my clothes as nothing fits! bet you're thinking thats great! wrong! i went on holiday in august 2013 and bought a whole new wardrobe, went to try everything on again as going away in April and NOTHING FITS, i didn't think id lost that much since then but apparently i had...right now i cant seem to find clothes that fit! a UK 10 is too big and a UK 8 is too small!

Confidence- this might not apply to many is even any but i have found that since loosing weight i am actually less confident in some ways! mainly because im so aware of every part of my body and what i want to change

Slight obsession- Again this may not be a lot of people but i have found that i ended up obsessively weighing myself daily, and getting depressed if the scale moved up! i have no stopped weighing myself and started to look at measurements

This is all just the negative side to MY own journey of weightloss, i have many positives too :)

Hi there! You're not alone with the 'negative effects' of weight loss..!
    About your wardrobe...because I've been there, 3 dress sizes ago, didn't lose much weight, but a lot of fat....stick to basic, classic pieces and find a good seamstress, any devoted mother, aunt. or grandmother will gladly help, too... I had to take in a bunch of dresses, but they were good quality, and worth keeping.. Don't buy anything that will go out of style next season, anyway... Wrap dresses or anything stretchy are always a good choice and will be good for 1-2 size changes... Can't go without a properly fitting bra, though...gotta keep buying those....mother nature is cruel with this...lol
    Good luck... =)
  • aliciadub
    aliciadub Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    --Buy your clothes second-hand! I never used to go to thrift stores, because I could never find anything in size 4XL. I'd have to go to the Fat Guy Store and pay $50 for pair of pants. Now that I'm a normal size, those thrift stores ROCK! I've never had nice clothes in my life, now I've got a closet full of stuff like Polo, LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, Nike, Champion, etc. I've had to empty the closet 2-3 times going from a 4XL to an L (and I haven't given up on M yet!). That stuff is a lot easier to give away when you got it for 90% off!

--Wish I could lose MY boobs. I'm getting pretty jacked around the arms/shoulders/chest, but when you lose this much weight, you can't "work off" loose skin.

--I just saw your pics. You are ROCKING! If confidence is an issue for you, it's completely unrelated to losing weight.

--I'm with you on the obsession thing. I literally can't go 30 seconds without thinking about it. It's the first thing I think of when I open my eyes in the morning. I guess I'm just making up for lost time, as my first 46 years on this planet, I never spent two seconds thinking about it, which is how I ran it up to size 4XL. I finally figured out that the scale fluctuations are far less frustrating when you only allow yourself to step on it one day per week (my weigh-in day is Friday). It also took me a long time to learn how to bite my tongue and stop talking about it nonstop. I'm allowed to THINK about it all I want, but I now don't TALK about it unless somebody else brings up the topic.

--The only negative thing I'll add to your list: you're 19, so this won't apply to you, but I'm 47, and I've never set any money aside for my retirement! Go look at my pic, do you think I ever imagined I'd grow old? Now I'm nice and healthy and will probably live into my 70's and 80's...I'm screwed! :)

So with you on the talking thing! I still have 90 pounds to go, but I obsess over it 24/7. I think that can be good, as it reflects my extreme focus which is better than never thinking about it, as before. Just have to temper it and not make my husband's ears bleed from hearing it all the time!

OP: you are a beautiful young woman. You've worked hard on your physical body. Love yourself and be kind in your thoughts toward yourself. Confidence really does come from accomplishment. Give yourself credit for what you've accomplished! :)
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Menopause will eventually take care of being cold all the time--Yay for winter! As for the boobs, not everyone loses them. Mine haven't budged, even though I really wanted to drop a size or two. ;-)
  • RideRunRepeat
    RideRunRepeat Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    One of the things that they don't tell you is how DIFFERENTLY you have to learn how to eat. Your body has such different needs, get full on so much less...just LESS food is needed even before you get full let alone stay within calorie bounds.

I was so NOT mentally prepared for that the first time I lost 60 pounds...maintenance is an entirely different mindset and battle all it's own!

They also don't tell you that people will start judging you for being a healthy weight!! The comments, the stares...it's all new and overwhelming. Plus it literally feels like you are in a new body and it's a steep learning curve!
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    You don't automatically get to sit in the front seat of the car anymore when a lot of people are going places together. Now it's all "oh you're small, you get to squish in the middle of the back seat."
  • JohnMcCaghren
    Options
    As a guy, I can say that I'm very much hoping my boobs are the first to go.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    My boobs surprised me too, I sort of thought my large breasts were hereditary, I was wrong lol. Lost 20 pounds and a cup size!