30 Day No Junk, No Soda, No Fast Food?

Options
Hi all. I've been using mfp for years, but I've never hit up the community. I'm starting to think I need more peer support if I'm ever going to lose the 50 lbs I gained during the two pregnancies I had in under 2 years.

Anyways, I'm challenging myself to give up my food kryptonite: fast food, junk food, and soda, for at least 30 days. I'm hoping 30 days from now, I'll have discovered healthier foods and will have broken my unhealthy eating habits.

I'm starting Monday, so if you want to join me, and are in roughly the same shape I am in regards to indulging way too much, you've got a couple days to say farewell to some of your favorite things.

We can meet back here daily to talk about our progress :)

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    There may be a lot of people who tell you that you don't have to give up anything - I am sure you have read the forums and seen it said many times.

But...I do find that since I have close to eliminated it, I don't really miss it - I do say close to elimination because I have had it a couple times but I am closing in on the end of my third month and a couple times in say 11 weeks is not bad compared to a couple times a week.

The thought of it now is far less appealing than it used to be...good luck with your 30 days! :flowerforyou:
  • rougecrayon2
    rougecrayon2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I gave up chips for lent! Last year was pop... a bit longer than 30 days but by the time it is over I eat/drink waaaay less... like the want is out of my system. I still want it! lol, but not like when I'm eating it.
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm totally supportive of you doing this! I just figure that if I'm looking to live a healthy life then what I fuel my body with should be there as well. I sometimes slip back into old habits, especially with soda, so I'd love the motivation to stay away from it!
  • ZL9685
    ZL9685 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Definitely keen to join in on this one!
    I'll be starting tomorrow myself, will add ya for mutual support :D
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    There may be a lot of people who tell you that you don't have to give up anything - I am sure you have read the forums and seen it said many times.
    <snip>

yup and here is one of them...

Why give it up...?

I understand want to lose weight but really there is no "junk" food..food is not bad.

You can lose weight and still enjoy treats...my diary is open and as you can see from just this week alone I have had Burger King...(wish I had got the salad would have enjoyed it more than the fries) and I eat chocolate every night.

You lose weight because of how much you eat not what you eat.

you will see this a lot 80/20 rule...80% of your calories come from nutrient dense foods such as fruits, veggies, lean protiens etc...20% from treats.

This makes this "diet" a sustainable way of eating for life so that when you get to goal and switch to maintenance it's not a big shock
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    <snip>

yup and here is one of them...

Why give it up...?

I understand want to lose weight but really there is no "junk" food..food is not bad.

You can lose weight and still enjoy treats...my diary is open and as you can see from just this week alone I have had Burger King...(wish I had got the salad would have enjoyed it more than the fries) and I eat chocolate every night.

You lose weight because of how much you eat not what you eat.

you will see this a lot 80/20 rule...80% of your calories come from nutrient dense foods such as fruits, veggies, lean protiens etc...20% from treats.

This makes this "diet" a sustainable way of eating for life so that when you get to goal and switch to maintenance it's not a big shock

Like I said I never totally gave it up - but sometimes things are triggers and to give them up for a short period does help to reduce the appeal of things that maybe aren't so great to eat when you are dieting - Yes I know moderation but for some it's not quite that easy. Honestly if I ate a McD burger right now I would probably feel sick. I picked up Buddy Burgers and Root Beer the other day to take a treat to my Dad while visiting and honestly the burger tasted good but I could have had so much more for that 710 calories. Totally not worth it for me.
  • rissamarie406
    rissamarie406 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yep, as knra said, my problem is moderation. I've always had a hard time moderating and saying no. That's why I call these foods my kryptonite. I've also got a husband who loves his soda and fast food (but doesn't have a problem with his weight. Jerk. Lol) and he's always swinging by the drive thru and asking me what I want at the end of the day... and I end up blowing my calorie intake every time.

That's why I'm doing this. I want to challenge myself to live without those foods and find healthier alternatives.

Thanks for your input though :)
  • rissamarie406
    Options
    Awesome! :)
  • rissamarie406
    Options
    Yay! :)
  • rissamarie406
    Options
    Awesome! Btw, love the username :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nope. Everything in moderation. I must be doing something right. :smile:
  • tiffany140
    tiffany140 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm in with you.... Let's do this!!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nope. Everything in moderation. I must be doing something right. :smile:

Ditto. :) I will stick to moderation.
  • randomtai
    Options
    Yep, as knra said, my problem is moderation. I've always had a hard time moderating and saying no. That's why I call these foods my kryptonite. I've also got a husband who loves his soda and fast food (but doesn't have a problem with his weight. Jerk. Lol) and he's always swinging by the drive thru and asking me what I want at the end of the day... and I end up blowing my calorie intake every time.

That's why I'm doing this. I want to challenge myself to live without those foods and find healthier alternatives.

So your next thread is going to be "husband sabotage"? Gotcha.
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options

The interweb is amazing for nutrition info. If you know your husband goes to Burger King all the time, look up BK nutrition info and have a standby that you know won't blow up your calories. Have a 'stand-by' for the fast food places you know will ruin you if you don't.

But, if you can keep this up and actually make such a huge change in your diet, more power to you. I'm a fan of everything in moderation.
  • rissamarie406
    Options

Um, rude?
  • rissamarie406
    Options
    I'm in with you.... Let's do this!!!

Awesome, Tiffany!
  • randomtai
    Options

Um, rude?

Not really you called him a jerk for not having to lose any weight. That would be more rude imho. I am just saying that is usually how things flow.
  • Sheacat
    Sheacat Posts: 24
    Options
    I am sorry, did I miss something? I thought this was to support people, not show up on a thread for something I don't intend to do just to be catty. Anyway OP, I am in. :)

Edited to add, some people have no sense of humour. My hubby is a jerk that way too. ;)