How are you guys burning 500+ calories

Options

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    This is not true...who told you that being obese makes you burn more then a thin person??? smh

I'm a little bit embarrassed for you that you actually just said that, and with attitude. Pick up 80 pound weights and go for a run - let me know how your burn is afterward.

Oh, I'm sure she knows what she is talking about. I mean, she IS a fitness competitor after all.
  • bjburg24
    bjburg24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For my exercise, I tend to alternate between a brisk walk of 2 to 2 1/2 miles and swimming laps. The walk usually burns 100-150 calories, but 40 or more minutes of swimming is around 450, I have worked up to swimming 45 minutes twice a week. Those days are nice to have in the "burned it off" category, but I am not trying to eat to compensate. Just nice to have that cushion on a day when I might go out to eat or be 200 calories over the daily allowance. I have also been trying out the elliptical at our Y and it is a calorie burner! I am only up to 8-10 minutes on it so far.
  • xamykate
    xamykate Posts: 8
    Options
    I have just made a new MFP account, and I am currently doing Insanity. Before I used a HRM and logged my exercise as Insanity and burned about 400+kcals for month 1 and around 600kcal for month 2 - now I am using MFP estimates as circuit training which puts me at 300+kcal for month 1 ... no overestimating here haha.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    This is not true...who told you that being obese makes you burn more then a thin person??? smh

I'm a little bit embarrassed for you that you actually just said that, and with attitude. Pick up 80 pound weights and go for a run - let me know how your burn is afterward.

A fitter person can burn the same as an overweight person in the same amount of time - it's about the amount of effort and getting the heartrate up - A heavier person even though they may only be walking 3 mph might burn the same as a fitter person say running 5.5 mph for the same amount of time - it's about the energy exerted not the amount a person weighs - A fitter person seems like they are working harder but they actually CAN work harder than someone who is not as fit - just my opinion - not an expert
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I burn over 500 calories because I weight train (lifting pretty heavy) and than I don cardio for about 20 to 30 minutes of HIIT (high intensity interval training) which burns way more calories than steady state cardio for an hour...........google HIIT to learn more about it.....:) I spend 1 hour and 1/2 to two hours in the gym and I am a fitness competitor......

Oh please... :yawn:
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Good way to pump is to do intervals....low speed - high speed cardio ...or weights and high cardio. Pump your heart a lot.
    Jumping ropes is a killer too.
  • Calliope610
    Options

A fitter person can burn the same as an overweight person in the same amount of time - it's about the amount of effort and getting the heartrate up - A heavier person even though they may only be walking 3 mph might burn the same as a fitter person say running 5.5 mph for the same amount of time - it's about the energy exerted not the amount a person weighs - A fitter person seems like they are working harder but they actually CAN work harder than someone who is not as fit - just my opinion - not an expert

walking @ 3mph is NOT the same activity as walking 5.5mph. Doing the SAME activity (i.e. same intensity, same speed, same distance, etc), the larger person WILL burn more calories than the other because of the increased mass being moved, resulting in more energy being exerted to move the greater mass = increased calorie burn.
  • randomtai
    Options

walking @ 3mph is NOT the same activity as walking 5.5mph. Doing the SAME activity (i.e. same intensity, same speed, same distance, etc), the larger person WILL burn more calories than the other because of the increased mass being moved, resulting in more energy being exerted to move the greater mass = increased calorie burn.

post-8766-YEAH-SCIENCE-Breaking-Bad-gif-og7N.gif
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I use a Heart Rate Monitor to get a more accurate calorie burn. I burn about 500 doing Cardio and Strength training. I'll switch up my routine every 2 weeks to keep things fresh. A typical for week for me would be like:

Monday: Cardio(Stairmaster, Arc Trainer, Jogging)
    Tuesday: Free Weights and Body Weight Strength Session
    Wednesday: Yoga and an evening Gym Class
    Thursday: Cardio(Whatever I'm in the mood for)
    Friday: Cardio for 30 minutes, Strength Circuit for 45 minutes
    Saturday: Free Day(Whatever form of exercise I feel like doing. Like A class, or just a good gym session)
    Sunday: Yoga/Rest Day
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

Where in my response did I say it was the same activity? Maybe I worded it wrong? A heavier person walking 3 mph (which could take a lot of effort on their part) and a fitter person running 5.5 miles per hour (possibly the same amount of effort as the heavier person's walk) could burn the same amount of calories. A fitter person would have to increase their effort to get to the same heartrate as a heavier person whose heartrate would increase at a slower pace.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options

MFP has cut my cals for combat based on my weight going down, which makes perfect sense to me. You try doing the same exercise whilst carrying a 20kg back pack and see whether you feel like you are using more calories.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options

I just read this after I posted mine, and totally agree! I went on holiday recently and my suitcase weighed 20kg, and it felt VERY heavy. It was very motivational to realise that was how much weight I had shed. Your weight loss is brilliant!
  • randomtai
    Options

Where in my response did I say it was the same activity? Maybe I worded it wrong? A heavier person walking 3 mph (which could take a lot of effort on their part) and a fitter person running 5.5 miles per hour (possibly the same amount of effort as the heavier person's walk) could burn the same amount of calories. A fitter person would have to increase their effort to get to the same heartrate as a heavier person whose heartrate would increase at a slower pace.

But... the argument was for 2 people (one overweight, one thinner) doing the SAME activity. Not sure what the heck you are talking about. :huh: :huh: :huh: :noway:
  • Calliope610
    Options

The premiss you responded to contains the implied assumption of the same activity. But you are right, of course a fit person will burn more calories in the same about of time running than an overweight person will burn walking. But for that matter, an overweight 240lb person will burn more calories in the same about of time running @ 5mph than another overweight 240lb person walking at 3.5mph. Therefore comparison with all variables being equal except weight is necessary for an accurate analysis.
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I cycle to and from work. Not only is it quicker than the bus (when you take into account the walk to the bus stop). Does it ffor me during the week. I'll through in a couple of runs, maybe a swim at night as well - when the kids are in bed.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    They *may* or *may not* be burning 500+ calories, if they are going by what MFP says or by a HRM. MFP wildly overestimates calorie burns so likely they only burned half of what it says they did. That's why if you're eating back your exercise calories, it's best to halve the time you spent exercising and only eat back those calories instead so you're not under estimating your deficit and eating too much. Even an HRM can't really help determine calories burned on some exercises like weight lifting, but it's a better tool than MFP estimations

No. Double is just as big an exaggeration. For distance running MFP is probably 20-25% high, sometimes less.

I use my Polar which is reasonably accurate given it bases off of HR, vo2 max and probably some other algorithm factor that I am not thinking of at the moment. When I run in the 7:40 to 8:00 per mile I usually burn 100-105 calories and that has been relatively consistent over time.

Ran an hour this morning and with the 1-2 minute recovery burn was around 800 calories for 7.6 miles
  • katerosserx
    Options
    Anyone good with advice on diet plans? Add me:)
  • Calliope610
    Options
    Anyone good with advice on diet plans? Add me:)

just read this and apply the principles contained within....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • momma2azoo
    momma2azoo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"A fitter person can burn the same as an overweight person in the same amount of time - it's about the amount of effort and getting the heartrate up - A heavier person even though they may only be walking 3 mph might burn the same as a fitter person say running 5.5 mph for the same amount of time - it's about the energy exerted not the amount a person weighs - A fitter person seems like they are working harder but they actually CAN work harder than someone who is not as fit - just my opinion - not an expert"
    [/quote]

You're comparing apples and oranges here. Admittedly, I like a whole basket of fruit but it's not fair to say grapes are equal to blueberries. 2 oz of grapes has a lot more calories than 2 oz of blueberries. Now, I could eat enough blueberries to equal the calories in the grapes but gosh. If I'm trying to watch my calorie count wouldn't it make sense to eat the food that has more volume (make me feel fuller) for less calories?

Comparing different exercise for different weight people and saying 'They can burn the same'!! Is like saying grapes and blueberries are the same just because you can work it out to eat the same number of calories for each. I'd rather have a bunch of blueberries than a few grapes personally.

You need to stick to one thing to understand the point being made (as I make mixed analogies....). If a 150 lb person walks a mile and a 250 lb person walks a mile, the 250 lb person is going to burn more calories. It really is that simple. It takes more energy to move 250 lbs a mile than it does 150lbs. Now, that 150 lb person could run circles around the 250 lb person for the entire mile, covering more overall distance and exerting more effort and maybe burn the same calories. But, now the two people aren't doing the same thing anymore, are they?? They're grapes and blueberries. :)

To the OP... How do you burn more calories? Real simple. Move more. More harder. Move longer. There's no magic to it. If you weigh 100 lbs or 500lbs. If you want a good calorie burn expect to work for it. For a fat out of shape person going for that one mile walk may feel like just as much effort as the hour and a half of high intensity cardio a thin in shape person does for a similar calorie burn.

Our bodies adapt to exercise by building cardio, muscle, bone and connective tissue strength. As the body gets stronger it becomes more efficient and burns fewer calories than it used to in order to perform the same exercise. If you're eating at a deficit, you'll loose weight along the way. At you get stronger and lighter it becomes easier to work harder. For me, this is the addictive part of exercise. It's hard to start. Once you get going though, seeing the gains you make is excellent encouragement to keep going and to go harder.
  • momma2azoo
    momma2azoo Posts: 50 Member
    Options

The premiss you responded to contains the implied assumption of the same activity. But you are right, of course a fit person will burn more calories in the same about of time running than an overweight person will burn walking. But for that matter, an overweight 240lb person will burn more calories in the same about of time running @ 5mph than another overweight 240lb person walking at 3.5mph. Therefore comparison with all variables being equal except weight is necessary for an accurate analysis.

Ahhh, but both people will burn the same calories (respectively) for the mile regardless of whether they walk or run.

My brain likes to point out the unfairness of that during the first mile of my runs when my muscles are warming up and protesting the abuse.