weights

Options
I'm wanting to start lifting weights but I don't have room for a home gym so I was wanting to get dumb bells. I've been pricing sets and I figure it'd be cheaper to get those adjustable ones likes the set from bowflex where you turn a dial to the weight you want. I'm not sure if I want to go with the bowflex ones though since they're a little pricier. Has anyone had experience with other brands of the same thing? How did you like them? Should I just go with the bowflex set?

Replies

• kieramint
    Options
    I purchased a bar and some dumb bells from Argos. I use this for calorie counting 1200 and exercise three times a week with a mini regime my chap gave me and I lost a stone in my first month and a further half stone over the 6 weeks after. I only got the cheap York ones, they do look like they would break but so far have come up trumps and been using them for almost three months. I do believe you will get better quality the more you pay but these are doing the job at a fraction of the price.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You could get dumbbells that use plates. There is a starter set on Amazon for $45-$50. Then just buy heavier plates as you progress if you don't want to buy it all up front. And then look for a bench that fits the space that you have and is light enough to move around if needed.

ETA: Craigslist may also have cheaper weights for sale.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Much cheaper would be to get a set which you change plates by unscrewsing or unclipping and slip another plate on/off to make your desired weight.
    It does take 20 seconds or so to do. But massively cheaper. Ones with clips aren't much slower than the fancy ones - screw on ones are slower but you can do movements which could loosen the clips.
    Also, you get to use the weights on a full size bar if you end up getting one.