When was your last straw that made you want to change?

Options

Replies

• b2kelly
    b2kelly Posts: 62
    Options
    I stepped on a scale and it said 230.. I literally died.. needless to say that was my turning point.. The Dominos near my house has since shut down because they stopped getting my money. I am now a lot richer in many ways.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I was just over 200 lbs and had been there for over a year when I realized this meant I was technically obese. I didn't think being a little overweight was anything to worry about, but I could not accept being obese.
    I'm happily down 22 lbs and I won't quit until I reach a 'Healthy' BMI.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    When I realized I was dressing like my fiances grandmother. I loved her dearly but i wanted to feel sexy again.Unfortunately, the only things that fit were her clothes...literally I was wearing my fiances grandmothers clothes that she didn't wear anymore. The pretty dresses are okay but they didn't fit anymore and I was always wearing those baggy stretch pants and sweatshirts. Now the pretty dresses fit again and I can wear skinny jeans. Now that's better.
  • stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that if I don't change my ways I will be lucky to see 40. That is enough to change anyone's habits.
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    A girl I thought was the love of my life left me. And now I'm here, a little over 30 lbs down and counting the days until I hit my goal so I can start bulking for dat natty physique.
  • littlebunny00
    littlebunny00 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank You! But I still believe I should never have let myself get into either of the situations! The choices we make deal us consequences and we have to live with those.
  • trainerwannabe
    trainerwannabe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Previous to "lightbulb moment" -
    Not able to participate in MY life...too fat to garden (my passion), too fat to even go up the stairs without having to catch my breath and deal with painful my feet and ALWAYS being the "happiest" fat person in the room etc. (I could go on for a page)

"Lightbulb" moment...
    After calculating in my head everything that the extra weight was taking away from me I said to myself, "Screw it!! There is NOTHING harder than being 100 pounds overweight!!" Right then and there I joined the gym and incorporated more fruit, veggies and lean protein. Didn't leave any kind of food out, just adjusted my workouts to accommodate most "cheat" meals.

Work in progress... Every moment of eating better and exercising has been definitely easier (both mentally and physically) then living was in my 224# body. I am now at the halfway point in my weight loss and I am appreciating every single moment of it!!
  • koreadarling
    Options
    Being miserable with anorexia and bulimia for nearly four years. I've met someone amazing who literally pulled me out of my depression and opened my eyes to how I was killing my body with my disorders eating. I used to want to be the sickly-skinny one, as if that was the only special thing about me. seeing the numbers drop dangerously low made me feel a false sense of achievement and happiness. not anymore :) life is about becoming strong, healthy, and happy, not about being obsessed, sick, and miserable. I want to live now, so I have to feed my body, and I will work hard to become strong.
  • QuietAlex
    QuietAlex Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For me, it was when I started working at my job last year. I wasn't miserable about my weight but I was in denial., Not only did I have to ride my bicycle to work, I was on my feet the majority of my shifts. I was still eating the same junk but I was not sitting down or lazing about anymore..I was also a full time student going to school on the days I wasn't going to work. In short, I never had a day off and was also going somewhere. The weight slowly came off and I didn't realize it was happening until my pants were starting to fall off! I had previous attempts to losing weight but I quickly got discouraged and went straight back to my old habits. When I started getting compliments and going down a size, I decided that it was the time to seriously change my eating habits and get on track once and for all. I went down from a 215 to now a 185ish. I'm still a work in progress but I'm very proud of myself for making it this far! :)
  • jamesisaac108
    Options
    I did it for the chickens. I was eating a piece of leftover turkey the day after Thanksgiving when I was watching Food, Inc. Saw what they were doing to the poor things and couldn't in good conscience eat meat anymore. But I never thought I would fall in love with vegetables. And the elliptical. And the Bowflex. And especially running. Had my longest outside run at 12 miles yesterday! Really have been blessed.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    i was sick of not being 100% comfortable in a bikini and was so tired of me vowing to myself every summer that the next year would be different..and it never was. finally I started going to the gym last summer consistently, all in preparation for this summer. still have some work to do but feeling better than ever :)
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I used to run 6-10 miles a day, eating only 1000-1200 calories, whilst working full time including 12 hours shifts on my feet some days. When I reached 8 stone (I am 5'8) my period disappeared. That was my wake up call.

Got on here, talked to people, changed my eating whilst logging it to make sure I was doing it right and....hey presto, it came back. It's now one year on and I eat twice as much as I used to - and I'm not scared of food any more. Food is fuel!

This site is amazing and the people on it even more so.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I am a former drug addict. when i got clean 5 years ago i packed on the pounds. In november i looked in the mirror and realised how big i had gotten. I told myself if I could give up meth I could do anything. Now I am down 10kgs and i have never felt better!

good for you for taking control of your life
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Two things .....

My husband made me go to the doctor because I was huffing & puffing just going up a few stairs ...... doctor said I was overweight (as if I didn't know) and prediabetic ......

A horrible photo of me with my daughter ...... I didn't even recognize myself ...... a real hit-in-the-head moment :noway:

Thank God that's all in the past !
  • _cdaley
    _cdaley Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I used to be very fit and extremely active. Two years of a stressful and all consuming job later, I was up 20lbs and hardly ever exercised. Final straw was going on a trip to Miami and not going in the ocean or pool because I was too embarrassed to put on a bathing suit. That, and not being able to fit in to any of my denim. Stressful job is gone, and I am refocused on living a balanced, fit lifestyle.
  • Yabiwaz
    Yabiwaz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Three things:
    1. When I was learning about BMI at university and most of the class came back as overweight, but I was half way through over-weight to obese!
    2. That I was literally sweating and out of breath from doing any stairs and felt uncomfortable in any vaguely shaped clothing so hid under hoodies.
    3. That my boyfriend became paranoid that I was pregnant after I ate any meal as my belly would bloat.
  • roozielynne
    roozielynne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This was mine.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Goal179/view/how-a-roach-saved-my-life-596707
    [/quote

One of the best blog story's I have ever read! Good for you! ]
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    When I stepped on a scale and realized I weighed as much as I did when I was full-term pregnant.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    too many last straws to count. it's always a bad picture, though.
  • mawmonamission
    mawmonamission Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hitting 30 in years and 300 on the scale. NO THANKS!!!

(Add me!) :-D