Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Not losing weight and getting frustrated

So my goal is to lose 100+ lbs total. As of right now I've lost 22 since the middle of January, but that's it. I haven't lost anything in almost 2weeks. I'm busting my butt running on my elliptical (between 25-45 minutes a day sometimes even longer) and eating between 1100-1400 calories a day and haven't lost a damn pound. I know that having a week of not losing is normal but I can't figure out why I haven't lost anything in 2 weeks. I'm not ready to switch up my routine because the elliptical is great for my terrible ankle that has been through the ringer over the past decade. Its pretty much bone on bone. Need some advice. Has this happened to anyone else?

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Congrats on the 22 lbs loss so far! That's awesome!

There's two options that pop out at me right away you could try:
    1) Try eating 100 - 200 calories MORE. Depending on your current weight you may actually be eating too little. I know it sounds weird but I remember I had lost weight eating around 1200 calories and then it stopped. When I bumped it up a few hundred I started losing again!
    2) If you're not ready to do anything but the elliptical, I'd suggest increasing your intensity while on the elliptical. Try doing some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) like go hard and fast for 10 - 20 seconds with a 60 recovery and repeat that cycle 6 - 8x a few days per week and then increase how many times you do the cycle and for how long.

Plateau's can happen when your body gets used to what you're doing day in and day out so you need to "shock" it every few weeks with either a calorie change and/or change in your workout.

Feel free to friend me and we can chat! I managed to lose over 100 lbs so I can relate!
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Have you cut out everything except water? Are you watching your salt intake (retains water, makes it difficult to get an accurate scale reading)? Are you getting enough fiber to keep you regular (you could literally weigh more due to being full of ****)? Have you tried cutting out the "bad" carbs? It is MOSTLY about calories in vs calories out, but if you are stalled, check into those things.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Have you cut out everything except water? Are you watching your salt intake (retains water, makes it difficult to get an accurate scale reading)? Are you getting enough fiber to keep you regular (you could literally weigh more due to being full of ****)? Have you tried cutting out the "bad" carbs? It is MOSTLY about calories in vs calories out, but if you are stalled, check into those things.

just what are these "bad" carbs?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Give it more than 2 weeks...I've gone 4 weeks without losing anything...
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,779 Member
    So my goal is to lose 100+ lbs total. As of right now I've lost 22 since the middle of January, but that's it. I haven't lost anything in almost 2weeks. I'm busting my butt running on my elliptical (between 25-45 minutes a day sometimes even longer) and eating between 1100-1400 calories a day and haven't lost a damn pound. I know that having a week of not losing is normal but I can't figure out why I haven't lost anything in 2 weeks. I'm not ready to switch up my routine because the elliptical is great for my terrible ankle that has been through the ringer over the past decade. Its pretty much bone on bone. Need some advice. Has this happened to anyone else?

All your questions will be answered by reading this and applying the principles contained within....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Open your diary. Are you eating back exercise calories? When was the last time you calculated your TDEE?
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    I upped my calories this week, and started watching sugar and carbs. I am not cutting them, but closely monitoring them. I dropped 1.4 this week.

Also, I started reading "The Mouth Trap, The Butt Stops Here," by Pam Young. I got the audio version from Audacity. I highly recommend this informative and entertaining audio book! Pam Young rocks and will inspire you!
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    22 pounds since January is FANTASTIC!! way to go! That honestly truly is great!
    It's all those tv shows that claim people are losing 10-12 pounds a week (when it's actually in real life closer to 3weeks) that make people just shrug off their accomplishments. You are doing wonderful! Keep up the good work. Just make sure you are keeping an honest track of everything that you put In your mouth and make sure you get some form of activity every day (I walk 2 miles even on non "gym" days) and the weight will keep coming off...... Even though it is SO over used.... You didn't gain it over night and it won't come off over night.
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member

just what are these "bad" carbs?

Sweets, mostly. Foods that are high on the GI.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Also if you are concerned about your ankle I would suggest adding either some dumbbells or a kettle bell and do some lifting and also squats with them.... I got dumbbells and it's made a world of difference in me. I do squats and curls and over head presses and some other different moves that I don't know the technical term for.
  • Congrats on the 22 lbs loss so far! That's awesome!

There's two options that pop out at me right away you could try:
    1) Try eating 100 - 200 calories MORE. Depending on your current weight you may actually be eating too little. I know it sounds weird but I remember I had lost weight eating around 1200 calories and then it stopped. When I bumped it up a few hundred I started losing again!
    2) If you're not ready to do anything but the elliptical, I'd suggest increasing your intensity while on the elliptical. Try doing some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) like go hard and fast for 10 - 20 seconds with a 60 recovery and repeat that cycle 6 - 8x a few days per week and then increase how many times you do the cycle and for how long.

Plateau's can happen when your body gets used to what you're doing day in and day out so you need to "shock" it every few weeks with either a calorie change and/or change in your workout.

Feel free to friend me and we can chat! I managed to lose over 100 lbs so I can relate!

I totally agree with this. I was sticking to the 1200 calories and not adding in my exercise cals and stopped losing for 2 weeks. So I listened to the people that recommended I up it to include the calories burned and now have about 1350 - 1400 a day and I AM LOSING AGAIN!! But, also, 22 lbs is awesome! And don't forget your water - at least 8 glasses! Really does help. Good Luck!