Food Weighing Basics?

Options
I plan on FINALLY buying a food scale this weekend while I'm out grocery shopping and I will begin using it next week. Up until now, I have been measuring liquids and solids in measuring cups and sometimes I just guess using little tricks like "4 oz=palm of the hand" for meat. I'm excited to start weighing my food, and hopefully I don't find out I'm eating way more than I thought, because I just now got to the point where I don't get hungry at inconvenient times.

Since I'm a newbie, bear with me and my stupid questions.

1.) Do I still measure liquids in measuring cups or should I use the scale for those as well?
2.) Do I have to measure individually packaged foods? For example, a light string cheese is listed as being 50 calories on the package. Do I need to recalculate that based on what the cheese actually weighs or is it okay to use the listed calories?
3.) How about things like crackers? Should I weigh those or use the package for calorie counts?
4.) Should I measure the empty cup/container first, then put the food in, and calculate the difference? Or do most food scales have the option to "zero out" once the container is on the scale?
5.) Should I trust my protein shake scoop or should I weigh that too?
6.) Should I weigh food raw or cooked? Does it depend on the food? Vegetables, meat, etc?

Any tips and tricks about food weighing would be really awesome. Any common mistakes people make when they weigh foods?

Next Purchase: A heart rate monitor. But until then...

Replies

• erindellamore
    erindellamore Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hopefully I can answer your questions! Have fun with your food scale, mine is my best friend in the kitchen. It'll just become second nature to you soon.

1. Most liquids nutritional data is listed by volume and not weight, it is safe to continue to use measuring cups and spoons. When nutritional data measures by weight (gram or oz) that's when I pull out the scale.

2. I weigh packaged foods that have a variety in product size. For example, I buy odd shaped loaves of bread that when cut, every piece is a different size. Therefor, I need to weigh my toast in the morning because one slice from the center of the bread could very well be 2 or 3 servings, despite the nutritional data saying the serving is "one slice".

3. I weighed tortilla chips the other day. The bag stated "9 chips" was the serving but by weight it was really 3x that. It's a good idea to know how accurate the labeling is on foods as to not fool you again in the future.

4. Every single scale has a "zero" or commonly named "tare" button, even dial scales and triple beams, etc. Always turn your scale on and let the readout say "0". Add your bowl, plate, cup, whatever. Hit your tare button, and you should see the 0 come back. Continue to weigh your food now.

5. Will it make a large calorie difference if the nutritional data is slightly off for your protein shakes? This is what I usually ask myself before weighing something, if the serving is 50 calories and it is one scoop, chances are a little variation does not make or break my daily limitations. You don't have to obsess. But to ease your mind, you could do it once to prove a point.

6. Weigh your food raw, and log it as the raw equivalent here on MFP, down to every vegetable or protein or grain. Cooking releases water and alters cellular structure to every food and you will almost always have two different weights: raw and cooked. Cooked weight will not be accurate, depending on if you salt your food, cook it in stock, boil it, etc. there will always be a variable.

Sounds like you've got it covered now! Have fun!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    1) I weigh milk too, just because it's more accurate and it's less dishes. The database has an entry for grams.
    2 and 3) it depends really. I wouldn't worry for low calories foods, but for granola bars, bread, crackers etc, it adds up. I don't bother with yogurt cups however. I guess I could weigh it full then weigh it empty and see what the difference is but... meh.
    4) most scales let you tare the container. I do weigh the container if I'm making a pie or quiche or something so I know how much the whole thing weighs to calculate servings though.
    5) I weigh protein powder too.
    6) raw if possible, if you cook big portions like I do, cooked is fine, just use the 'cooked' entry (for some reason most of the stuff I buy gives the cooked nutrition too anyway).
  • heavenridge
    heavenridge Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    1) Yeah, I've actually found measuring spoons to be more accurate & easier than cups. No waiting for the liquid to even out and bending over to look. I've actually had a few measuring cups that were way off.

2) I wouldn't. Nutrional information is going to be accurate enough for a situation like that.

3) Don't weigh crackers, they're all the same size and weight. You only need to weigh stuff in bulk that you're about to eat, like a handful of pineapple would be worthwhile to bust out the scale for.

4) If your scale doesn't have a tare function, throw it out. It's a must for any scale. I've never seen a scale that didn't have one, any scale you buy today should have it.

5) It's actually useful to weigh how many grams you're getting from one scoop to be sure you're getting something close to the serving size. If the scoop is accurate, you won't need to measure protein powder in the future. If the scooper is way off, you might want to.

6) It may be a little more accurate to weigh raw meat, but I need to weigh it cooked because I always weigh it before eating it. I doubt the difference is anything really significant, like for my chicken which locks in moisture when I cook it. It may depend on what meat we're talking about, though. If you're like me, you'll find that it's only really convenient to weigh cooked food and vegetables.

By the way, I bought this recently and it's a great item. http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395448348&sr=8-1&keywords=scales+kitchen
  • marcellomoo
    marcellomoo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything before cooking.

For things that come in consistent sizes like string cheese and crackers just take the packet info. For foods like chicken breasts that come in various sizes, ignore the calories for an "average" sized one and weigh it yourself
  • katielshelby
    katielshelby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    As far as the protein powder goes, I always put my blender on my food scale (when making a smoothie), tare it, and then weigh all of my ingredients individually. I found that "two rounded scoops" of protein powder were not accurate with the gram amount on the bag...it was more like one really rounded scoop. Obviously this method will work for whatever you are putting your protein powder in.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

1.) Do I still measure liquids in measuring cups or should I use the scale for those as well?
    2.) Do I have to measure individually packaged foods? For example, a light string cheese is listed as being 50 calories on the package. Do I need to recalculate that based on what the cheese actually weighs or is it okay to use the listed calories?
    3.) How about things like crackers? Should I weigh those or use the package for calorie counts?
    4.) Should I measure the empty cup/container first, then put the food in, and calculate the difference? Or do most food scales have the option to "zero out" once the container is on the scale?
    5.) Should I trust my protein shake scoop or should I weigh that too?
    6.) Should I weigh food raw or cooked? Does it depend on the food? Vegetables, meat, etc?

Any tips and tricks about food weighing would be really awesome. Any common mistakes people make when they weigh foods?
    liquids in cups/spoons
    I measure some of those just as tests...my yogurt was good...I don't eat much prepacked individual servings tho
    I weigh out crackers...chips etc...
    I have a zero function best thing ever...try to find one with that.
    weight protien powder
    Raw food if you can...I can't personally as I cook for 3 and I never know which piece I will get etc.

The only tips I have is try to weigh in grams...it's more accurate than oz.
    when I do a shake/smootie I put the cup on the scale, zero it out and load items in the cup zeroing out after each one less dishes to wash...hence why the zero function is the bomb.
    Oh my scale goes wonky near a microwave in use...:grumble:
    I leave mine on the kitchen counter...hehe
    weight as much as you can you will be surprise at what cup serving sizes are wrong...like cereal is way over in the cup measurment but cottage cheese is way under...

Eventually you will know by the look of the food how much it weighs if you eat it a lot..for me I know what 30 grams of cheese looks like but I still weigh it...anal I know...:laugh:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Just to add the following tips. When you look for entries in the database, look for the 100g entries. That way if your apple weighs 68g you can just log .68 as the quantity without doing math. If you use an item often enough and there are you 100g entries, you may wish to create yours.

2. A lot of newer users do not know of the recipe function. You can use this to easily log an entire meal if you do not wish to log each ingredient each time. You can change the quantity for optional ingredients to 0 and rather than delete them from your recipe, that way one recipe can be tweaked multiple times or even be used for multiple meals if necessary and possible.
  • katielshelby
    katielshelby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Eventually you will know by the look of the food how much it weighs if you eat it a lot..for me I know what 30 grams of cheese looks like but I still weigh it...anal I know...:laugh:

This is the story of my life!
  • SuziQGettinFit
    Options
    I just started using a food scale and I'm pretty shocked at how many more calories everything is as compared to the MFP directory. Eg - I've been using 43 calories for a medium golden delicious apple - on the scale it says it is 98. Really will add up in a day. Oh well - will make me exercise harder so that I can eat the same amount.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Something I learned on MFP: You can also put the container of food on the scale, zero it out, and then count the negative number that appears as you remove food from the container. This is useful if you are aiming for a specific amount (say you want 100 grams of yogurt), and also if you tend to lick the spoon.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You've all been really helpful!

I bought my scale on Saturday and wanted to try it out as soon as I got home. I was about to drink my protein shake anyway, so I put the scoop on the scale, zeroed it out, then filled it up to a "level scoop" as the packaging says. It was about 10 g more than what it should have been! I was pretty shocked at how much I had to remove to get it to the 32 g serving. And it's 115 calories per 32 g, so that's a fairly significant difference. Who knew?

I also used it to weigh out my chicken for my chicken taco lunches this week. 4 oz was wayyyy more chicken than I expected, so I cut it down to 3 oz and it was perfect. I used every bit of chicken and it separated perfectly into 5 individual baggies. I froze two so I know they don't go bad sitting in the fridge for 5 days. I did the same thing portioning out my refried beans for the tacos. It was pretty fun and I'm excited that it's all accurate now. I did end up weighing the chicken cooked with seasonings because I was shredding it and portioning it out, but I still feel pretty good about it.

Oh, I also weighed out my sugar free creamer for my morning coffee and individually packaged those as well. I quickly found out that my tablespoon measuring spoon was about as inaccurate as my protein scooper. Now I'm drinking coffee with less creamer, but I'm saving the extra calories.

I ran into a bit of a problem with my avocado that will also be on my chicken tacos, though. I couldn't cut into it yesterday because I didn't want it to brown, and I wasn't about to take my scale to work with me, so it looks like I'll be logging it was 1/4 of an avocado with no weight. But I got a pretty small one, so I don't think it'll be an issue.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Dang girl you're on your way! You're definitely a pro already all that stuff about portioning the servings LOL. I am thinking of buying a small scale for work for those few and far between times when the need arises. Thinking of it. I know it'll be weird to bust out the scale at work, but still.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Dang girl you're on your way! You're definitely a pro already all that stuff about portioning the servings LOL. I am thinking of buying a small scale for work for those few and far between times when the need arises. Thinking of it. I know it'll be weird to bust out the scale at work, but still.

I have an extra scale for work, OCD I know:blushing:
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    At $19 per scale, the only reason I can come up with not to bring one is that I don't want to look crazy and weight-obsessed. I know that's not a very good reason, so I may end up just doing it. I could always keep it at my desk out of everyone's view, but I'm sure someone will see it and make a comment. Oh well! Baby steps - let's see how having the first scale works for me. I can do most of my weighing ahead of time, but things like avocados are a different story entirely. If I really like avocados for lunch (this is my first try with a "real" lunch instead of a bunch of snacks put together like boiled egg, string cheese, banana, etc), I may be more inclined to purchase another one.