What do you eat on the go?

Options
Im on the road a lot with work, so I can't always bring my lunch to work. I frequently stop at fast food, delis, whatever is around for lunch (hello +30 pounds!). I know want to lose those but my on the road options haven't changed. What do you grab on the go for lunch to make smarter choices?

Replies

• LisaFlag
    LisaFlag Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't order the actual meals at fast food places. I would order just the burger by itself and use water I bring from a case. Subway is really good, it has a lot of calories but its healthier.
  • Saratini76
    Saratini76 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have found that the grilled chicken sandwich at McDonald's is around 310 calories and is delicious! Ask for no mayo to make it even less. The tomato on the sandwich lends just enough moisture to make the "no-mayo" less noticeable. They also have The minute maid lemonade that is 10 calories per 8 ounces. Hungry Howie's small Greek salad (that isn't that small) with the greek dressing provided is 350 calories. It's got lots of veggies such as banana peppers, cucumber, tomato, black olives along with feta cheese. It's so delish! And Firehouse Subs has an under 500 calorie menu. The Capt Sorenson's datil pepper chicken sandwich is OMG good and at 450 calories is a great idea. Hope these ideas help!

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You can frequently find decent stuff at gas stations and convenience stores. For example, you can generally find ok beef jerky, peanuts or almonds, an apple or a banana, and bottled water.

At a deli, turkey and/or swiss on whole wheat, with whatever veggies you like.

Fast food is a bit more tricky, but still possible. A lot of them have salads with chicken now. Jack in the Box has a chicken fajita pita, which is a bit high in sodium, but otherwise pretty good, both from a macro and taste point of view.

One thing I that helps me is just to slow down a bit, look at the whole menu, or selection (if in a convenience store), and really pay attention to the possibilities.

Cheers!
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have lunch on the go usually too, but I no longer stop by fast food places very often. I pack my own lunch and typically brown bag it in the car enroute. I take things like Simply Jif peanut butter to go cups and apple slices, baby carrots, Chicken of the Sea tuna "to go cups" or the foil bags of tuna, beef jerky, string cheese, piece of fruit, baggie of almonds, hard boiled egg, peanut butter sandwich, cheese and crackers, sliced colorful bell peppers, broccoli, celery sticks with peanut butter...really anything you like that doesn't need a microwave could work.
  • fayefayee5
    fayefayee5 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    there is a delicious sundried tomato and basil tuna+crackers combo that I love for a quick snack. 190 cals, and super yummy.

Also beef jerky, rice cakes, veggies + dip are some of my on to go snack choices
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My go to fast food options when on the road -
    Subway turkey on wheat, no mayo no cheese.
    Firehouse subs Hook and ladder, no mayo no cheese.
    Wendy's grilled chicken sandwhich, no sauce
    Chick-fil-a grilled chicken

I also will stop in Krogers or Wal-Mart and buy a 100 calorie bag of broccoli & cauliflower and eat that raw for lunch.
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I spend a fair amount of time on the road for my job so I just pre-pack protein options that will keep me full, that I can snack on in my hotel room and that I don't need a fridge for since I don't always get a hotel room with a fridge.

My staples are:

- almonds (usually 1/4 cup for a snack)
    - scooped baggies of protein powder and my shaker (for my breakfast or even snack in the afternoon if I'm feeling peckish). Just add coffee to my chocolate powder for a "Mocha" shake
    - jerky (excellent to chew on while driving- by the time I roll up to a gas station to fill up/use the washroom I'm not even tempted by the junk since I'm full of delicious jerky)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It helps to make on-the-go meals at home before leaving out of the house. Many items at restaurants are loaded with weight gaining ingredients. I have found it to be very helpful to plan ahead of time. I go out to lunch with co-workers and family members several times a month but I plan ahead. I search the menus online and select my food beforehand. I even ask for substitutes at restaurants like salad, soup or a baked potato instead of fries. I have protein bars, cereal bars, fruit, and low-sodium trail mix at home for my on-the-go times. Give yourself some time and practice, you’ll work it out.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Fruit, protein bars, veggies & hummus, greek yogurt, PB Sandwiches. I work in the field too and bought a big lunch cooler that I fill with ice packs, water, salad, protein, and healthy snacks.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Fast food. Mcdonalds is like weight watchers it has the calories on it.
  • HillValley
    HillValley Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thank you so much! I appreciate all the feedback! Great ideas!
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I order 1/4 # of turkey and 2 servings o green beans from BBQ place... Wendys had a side salad with a lemon dressing that was okay (but I am allergic to soething they ust preserve their salads with because my neck and breasts turn beet red) Fajita taco salad ( with guacamole and sour cream on the side or ask for avacado slices (& dont eat the taco bowl) .
    Snack on carrots and radishes a lot.. stop at grocery store and get yogurt, string cheese is easy, rotisserie chicken is most everywhere here. (bolillo roll from the deli) Jasons Deli has a fabuous Mediterrenean wrap and a side of fruit...I heat subway is okay but i personally don't like the place at all....
  • whovian67
    Options
    tHAT'S WHAT i DO,.. plan MY MEALS AND CARRY A COOLER & LOTS O WATER (CASE OF IT) IN MY CAR....(Oooops..not yelling just accidental cap lock)
  • whovian67
    Options
    I drive 150-200 miles a day sometimes but I know my territories and what to eat when and where. .I do try to take my own food though... makes it easier...It's more diicult when I end up in a podunk town and the only thing they have is a fried food concession in the local gas station.... like I want fried shrimp and ries from a gas station.... or a chimichanga or tamale on a spinning grill.....
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I opt for Starbucks things to eat. Fruit and water are easy to bring along with you if you're on the go in the car. Bringing healthy food a long is a great cheap way to stay on track and keep your wallet at bay. You can pack a loaf of bread, some meat, cheese, sliced veggies and whatnot in a small cooler for your car. If you're able to find a Panera, those are healthy. Just watch which meal you get, and instead of eating it all at once (especially if you're sitting so much in a day traveling), space the meal out through the day.
  • Eli716
    Eli716 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    String cheese... box of raisins... an apple... cinnamon toast (if I have five minutes to spare...
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    This is a great go to meal for me when on the go...there's a whole range of them, but this is my fave http://www.john-west.co.uk/product-information/tuna-light-lunch-french-style
  • inky16
    inky16 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I put on 30+ pounds for the exact same reason... spent a huge portion of my day in the car jumping between 3 part time jobs, and fast food was just the easiest and quickest. However, I've found it takes the same amount of time to sit in a drive through during lunch rush as it would take me to run into a grocery store and grab something. My go to's for a quick luck are a Naked smoothie (green machine is my fave) or a salad/ sandwich out of the deli. We've got Publix in FL, and they have an awesome salad bar and awesome pre-mades if you're super rushed.

My only issue with places like Subway and Firehouse is the amount of sodium in the meats. Definitely better than a double cheeseburger, but not the absolute best option. Some days, you just gotta compromise though.