How are you guys burning 500+ calories

Options

Replies

• golfmonk
    golfmonk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hey,

So, I see when people log or check random diaries and they have like 500+ calories...

That is nothing. I have some people in my friends list log 2000+ calories for 60 minutes of exercise.

I mean, is this *even* possible?

Really???
  • cmcmillan81
    Options
    I'm doing Zumba and I'm wearing a HRM which gives me acurate calories burn....I've tried to go by what the calories burn by mfp but sometimes it's way off. Also depends on the exercise you are doing you can burn a lot of calories. I also like to use my elliptical.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Swimming, I'm in the water for around 2 hrs., 15 minutes but my actual set times work out to 114 minutes of actual swimming (which is what I log).....
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA!

Everyone else is right though, calories burned is best to figure out with HRM and age & weight play a factor. MFP says I burn 946 calories in an hour of Zumba but I don't take that number to heart. It depends on the instructor and if I'm all in with total energy or if I'm slacking, I obviously won't burn that much. And I don't eat back all of my exercise calories.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I rarely get those high burns. When I run for an hour I burn about 500 to 550 but I don't run for an hour every day or every week. i can't stand the elliptical or the stationary bike so maybe that's why I miss out.

My daily workouts are generally 35 to 45 minutes long and are intense and fast paced. I also strength train but rarely go above 60 minutes. Walking and running are closer to 60 minutes for me.

My average burn is between 220 and 350. I'm about 18 pounds away from goal weight and the days when just walking 30 minutes would give me a 400 calorie burn are long gone. Thank goodness. I don't want to be that weight again.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    by working really ****ing hard, for extended periods of time.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    For me at 173 lbs, a 3 mile run or 50 minutes on the staionary bike or 4 miles on the eliptical all hit 500 cals easily. I generally try to go beyond that in my current condition.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Running roughly burns 100 calorie per mile, and as I'm training for a 10K my long run is in excess of 5 miles, and regularly run 2-3miles 3/4 days a week. I also have a very active job, and when I do a long shift I add the calorie burn from my pedometer (minus about 10-20%) and I can walk over 20,0000 steps at work.
  • Veganvibesss
    Veganvibesss Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i do zumba everyday until i burn about 800 calories. Did you mean you burn 300? cause you can burn 30 calories just sitting there pretty much lol.
    Try going for a run for an hour you will also burn alot and you dont need anything but yourself
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    MFP so grossly overestimates calorie burn that I'm surprised when people who exercise and track here are successful. It usually requires some modifications to keep things on track.. For example, here's my exercise from this morning..

For a 13.1 mile run, at a weight of about 185 .... The calorie burn of 2378 is what MFP puts. Runkeeper says 1881, and my Garmin claims 1922. By a rough calculation for NET LOSS (weight * .63 * miles) that works out to 1526. I'll be rounding it to 1500.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Eh, if 226 is heavy for a gal, guess I'm it :) I do the following:

1) 50-ish minutes of power walking on my lunch break. Perceived rate of exertion is that I can carry on a conversation, and my breathing is noticeable. I do use a heart rate monitor. Calorie burn is typically between 350-400 calories (@100 per 10 min)

2) Evening workout is TurboFire or Combat workouts. Also use the heart rate monitor. Perceived rate of exertion, can't talk, life flashes before my eyes. Calorie burn is between 400-600 calories. Workout length is 45-60 min.

Don't know if that helps or not.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Hey,

So, I see when people log or check random diaries and they have like 500+ calories they can eat back because of exercise. How??? What exercises are you doing? Whenever I do or log an exercise I burn about 30 calories, lol. Which is nice and everything, but that barely makes room for me to even have a cracker and I'm hungrier after than I was to start with in the first place. Any advice welcome!!

You have to be careful with the numbers this site gives back as exercise calories. Regardless of those so-called exercise calories, I limit my calories to a certain amount a day in order to create a calorie deficiency to lose weight.
  • catherinemaxwell566
    Options
    as a 5ft 2 125lb girl I only burn between 200 and 300 per workout and that's either a 2 mile run or an hour aerial yoga
  • Lylandra
    Lylandra Posts: 2
    Options
    I keep track of everything. Everything I eat/drink and everything I do including in my everyday life. In addition to going to a local inexpensive gym (so that the ubby and I can focus on a workout without kid interruptions) I also keep track of my daily activities. You'd be a bit surprised as to how much you can burn from everyday life in addition to a good workout routine. =)
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I walk for 20 minutes just going about my daily errands and burn almost 200 cals... I usually walk more than 50 minutes a day without knowing it. Try tracking what activity you do with a HRM.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I do 30 minutes of cardio followed by 20 minutes of weight lifting. MFP's anarobic & weight calc gives me 264 calories for that period. I recently bought a FT7 HRM and it calc's 460 calories for that same workout. 340 on the cardio and another 120 during the weight lifting period. The MFP feels to low to me, but the HRM also seems a little high to me.
  • Kreepie11
    Kreepie11 Posts: 76
    Options
    I myself have been doing a lot of Wii Zumba. I've found that I can burn just over 500 doing a medium intensity class for 45min (being roughly 45 pounds overweight), or over 600 doing a low intensity class for 60 min. Haven't tried a high intensity 20 min class yet, but I'm wondering if it will be roughly the same.

Also, one of my friends on MFP has been running (jogging) a lot, and that seems to work very well. She ran 10k today (woo!) and lost over 1000 cal. So if you're really committed, that could be an option. I myself would like to start.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    This is not true...who told you that being obese makes you burn more then a thin person??? smh

Ok this is about the dumbest thing I've read on MFP in a long while. SMH.
  • catherinemaxwell566
    Options
    This is not true...who told you that being obese makes you burn more then a thin person??? smh

Nearly the dumbest, heard someone recommend the 2,4,6,8 diet recently. How can someone not appreciate that carrying an extra 100lbs on you at all times makes ur body work a little harder?
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options

Nearly the dumbest, heard someone recommend the 2,4,6,8 diet recently. How can someone not appreciate that carrying an extra 100lbs on you at all times makes ur body work a little harder?

...lmao I must know what the 2 4 6 8 diet is.