Body By Vi or Herbalife???

Options
I've been hearing different things about both. I'm not necessarily looking for a "quick fix." I plan to still workout and eat right. I just need to know which one is better when it comes to price and benefits???

Replies

• corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I dont know anything about the first, but Herbalife has a HUUUGE selection of products, what is it you plan on using? They have vitamins, meal replacements, products for athlets, you havent given us enough information.
  • SweetNini
    SweetNini Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I want to lose fat and build muscle. I guess I would need something a bit thermogenic maybe. I want extra energy for my workouts...I don't have time to cook breakfast all the time. Some days I want to eat somedays I wish I could just make a quick shake. I'm on the go a lot. I have 9 months to reach my goal of losing at least 50 pounds...no more than 70.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Waste of money, time and energy. Set reasonable goals, be patient and do not fall into the trap of products that promise magical results. If you want to lose fat and build muscle, it is going to take you a heck of a lot longer than 9 months.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Neither. If you really just want a quick shake every once in a while, I suggest buying some protein powder. But make sure you research or ask around before you buy. The kind I have now is not that great. So, if you purchase protein powder, MRM is not the brand I would buy again!
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    ok, so I'm not pushing herbalife, I just live with a distributor who tells me about the products, and I've used a few.

They have a meal replacement shake that I'll sometimes use for breakfast, and they have a line of shakes for athletes called 24 I think, that I like to use when I can afford it. But honestly I'm not super picky about my shakes (taste good, lots of protein, and ingredients I can understand) so I'll buy whats at my local grocery store when I'm low on herbalife funds.

There may be more people on here with more knowledge about all this stuff. the type of workouts you do is another factor into what kind of shakes you should be using. Like I use 24 because I play Roller derby and I do weight training, so my body demands are higher then what a simple meal replacement shake offers.
  • SweetNini
    Options
    I am also trying to keep sugars down...I eat low carb (atkins) at the moment but I am no longer hungry enough to keep up with this lifestyle. I don't just want to jump into eating lots of fruits and carbs. I had heard herbalife was low carb. I just hate that everyone who says they "use it" seem to be out to just sell it without giving me the information I ask for.
  • SweetNini
    Options
    ok, so I'm not pushing herbalife, I just live with a distributor who tells me about the products, and I've used a few.

They have a meal replacement shake that I'll sometimes use for breakfast, and they have a line of shakes for athletes called 24 I think, that I like to use when I can afford it. But honestly I'm not super picky about my shakes (taste good, lots of protein, and ingredients I can understand) so I'll buy whats at my local grocery store when I'm low on herbalife funds.

There may be more people on here with more knowledge about all this stuff. the type of workouts you do is another factor into what kind of shakes you should be using. Like I use 24 because I play Roller derby and I do weight training, so my body demands are higher then what a simple meal replacement shake offers.

Some days...and I mean SOME days, I do insanity or turbofire. Otherwise I just use the treadmill or elliptical in the gym.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    Options
    I want to lose fat and build muscle. I guess I would need something a bit thermogenic maybe. I want extra energy for my workouts...I don't have time to cook breakfast all the time. Some days I want to eat somedays I wish I could just make a quick shake. I'm on the go a lot. I have 9 months to reach my goal of losing at least 50 pounds...no more than 70.

While it is possible to lose 50 pounds in 9 months, it's not recommended to drop that much weight so quickly unless you are morbidly obese. I hate being patient. I thought I was doing so horrible at this weight loss thing. But someone pointed out to me that I was losing at a rate of .5 pound per week and that was perfectly healthy. They were right. I feel great and I haven't experienced any weight gains except water weight around my tom. Be patient, take it slow, and you will never regret it!
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Stay away from both. It's going to take hard work and dedication to nutrition, not a quick fix shake made with artificial crap. There is no magic pill/shake or secret. You have to learn how to eat right, at the right times and get your workouts in to hit the goals you are looking to achieve. Plus looking for a "thermogenic" is not going to help, though it sounds good on paper and in the marketing ads, thermogenics is a waste of money. Plus if you use shortcuts, you aren't really learning how to maintain the healthy/fit look you want to achieve and the weight will pour back on after hitting the goal.
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I used to make shakes with herbalife at work with frozen fruit and almond milk. I find the herballife and protein powders I've tried too sweet. I make my own smoothies for breakfast with almond milk, Greek yogurt, oats, and fruit.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Waste of money, time and energy. Set reasonable goals, be patient and do not fall into the trap of products that promise magical results. If you want to lose fat and build muscle, it is going to take you a heck of a lot longer than 9 months.

^this. Save your money. Invest time into finding foods that you enjoy and make a sustainable habit of it rather than jumping on these gimmick bandwagons.
  • SweetNini
    Options

While it is possible to lose 50 pounds in 9 months, it's not recommended to drop that much weight so quickly unless you are morbidly obese. I hate being patient. I thought I was doing so horrible at this weight loss thing. But someone pointed out to me that I was losing at a rate of .5 pound per week and that was perfectly healthy. They were right. I feel great and I haven't experienced any weight gains except water weight around my tom. Be patient, take it slow, and you will never regret it!

Thanks for this response! Yes patience is hard lol my husband is actually deployed for 9 months right now. We are both focusing on fitness so I want to surprise him and MYSELF. no its not for him, he accepts me just the way I am (in case anyone wonders).
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Both are an utter waste of money
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to keep sugars down...I eat low carb (atkins) at the moment but I am no longer hungry enough to keep up with this lifestyle. I don't just want to jump into eating lots of fruits and carbs. I had heard herbalife was low carb. I just hate that everyone who says they "use it" seem to be out to just sell it without giving me the information I ask for.

Carbs are not your enemy. Over eating is the enemy. Your body needs/wants carbs as they help regulate many of your bodies hormone levels. Just as protein and fat do as well. Eliminating or drastically reducing one macro group without medical reason is a fad at best.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Which is best at what?

They are both ways to a pay a hell of a lot for a food stuff, when you could buy 'normal' food or even meal replacement shakes if you really like them for a lot less in a local shop.

So, only thing they seem particularly good at, when you have resources like MFP, is taking your money!
  • SweetNini
    Options

Carbs are not your enemy. Over eating is the enemy. Your body needs/wants carbs as they help regulate many of your bodies hormone levels. Just as protein and fat do as well. Eliminating one macro group without medical reason is a fad at best.

I have mixed feelings with atkins...which is why I won't do this forever. What you've just stated does make sense though.
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Which is best at what?

They are both ways to a pay a hell of a lot for a food stuff, when you could buy 'normal' food or even meal replacement shakes if you really like them for a lot less in a local shop.

So, only thing they seem particularly good at, when you have resources like MFP, is taking your money!

This exactly. I guess they're adding the amount of weight you lose from your wallet to the overall weight loss result.
  • OhCora
    OhCora Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Been using the Body By Vi for 5 weeks. in the first 4 weeks, I GAINED a pound. I had headaches, and serious gas and constipation. That was doing their 2 shakes a day 10 pound challenge. I thought 'screw this' I had enough of it. It is yummy, but it is Soya, and I don't think my body likes it too much, or I was using too much. Adding fruit to both shakes a day made it impossible to keep my sugars and calories within my goals. I can't return the stuff (except at a huge loss) so I decided to just use up what I have. I am just using it like I would any other protein shake, keeping my carbs down and sugar down too. Following this plan, that seems easier for me, I lost 4.8 pounds this last week.

My mom has done herbal life, had some short lived success, but some of the stuff gave her bad tummy issues too.

I, like you, was not looking for a miracle fix, but I was stuck at a plateau, and thought this option would kick start a loss again. No such luck.

It is WAY more expensive than nearly every other protein powder out there too. 60 shakes cost $116 including shipping. Their sales pitch is that the cost of their meal replacement shake is "about a dollar a shake". Do the math, not including your shipping cost, it is it is $1.60 a shake. Problem is, then you are supposed to add milk or almond milk, fruit, veggies, flavor...there goes your "savings".

There were 5 of us who started using at the same time. 1 was my fitness instructor, the rest of us, her clients. 3/5 suffered head aches, 4/5 suffered gas and constipation, 3/5 of us gained weight in a month, 1 stayed the same (fitness instructor- who was not replacing meals, just using it as her snacks as she needed more calories teaching 4-5 classes a day). The only one of us lost any weight also began a running program at the same time where she runs 5 miles 5 times a week. :-/

I do personally know one fella who lost 10 pounds in three weeks, but he used to eat take out (mcdonalds etc) every day, and weighed 354 pounds when he started the challenge. Good for him, but he may have seen the same results by eating at subway instead!
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of positive responses by people who sell these products. Take their opinions with a grain of salt. There is nothing herbalife or any other overpriced MLM product can give you that you can't get far cheaper at a grocery store and make yourself. If you want protein, try Optimum Nutrition (cheap per serving, look on Amazon), if you want a "meal replacement" shake, you can get that anywhere, if you want vitamins and nutrients- eat lots of fruits and veggies.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    Options

Thanks for this response! Yes patience is hard lol my husband is actually deployed for 9 months right now. We are both focusing on fitness so I want to surprise him and MYSELF. no its not for him, he accepts me just the way I am (in case anyone wonders).

I understand your hurry, then! I was able to lose 25 pounds when my husband deployed. He was definitely surprised when I picked him up. Good luck!!