30 Day No Junk, No Soda, No Fast Food?

Options
13»

Replies

• willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You can do it!

I had my last soda of any kind over a decade ago. I'm over a year and going strong w/o fast food and junk food - unless you count black coffee and unsweet tea from SB! I've lost over 100 lbs & still losing. I love eating healthy foods. My body loves it, too.
  • endlessloser
    endlessloser Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, did I miss something? I thought this was to support people, not show up on a thread for something I don't intend to do just to be catty. Anyway OP, I am in. :)

Edited to add, some people have no sense of humour. My hubby is a jerk that way too. ;)

Yup you missed quite a bit by not being in the forums a lot.

giving up food because it's "bad" is silly...there is no bad food..food does not make you fat the amount you eat makes you fat...

You can eat what you want in moderation and lose weight and yes calling your husband a jerk for making your life easy by getting dinner on the way home was mean.

I liken it to self imposed punishedment for gaining weight...

Yeah, I am ok missing that, haha. Why can't we let people do what works best for them? Why does it have to always be a my way or the highway approach? If moderation works for you, then awesome! I mean it, that is wonderful. Everybody works different and if people find that detoxing from stuff that makes them feel bad is what they need to do then why piss on their parade? If someone came on here wanting to do something truly dangerous (i.e. anorexia, starvation, etc) then I get jumping on them in a supportive manner to encourage them to seek a different path, but I fail to see how wanting to eat fresh food and non "junk" is a bad or unhealthy thing.

In any case, I am out. Trolls can go back to your trolling without the nice people getting in your way, lol

Beannacht, agus póg mo thóin! :)

ironic post is ironic

and I don't think letting people know they don't have to give up foods they like is "pissing on" anyones parade it's letting them know they can have treats still if they really want....

What I don't understand is why when advice like that is given to be helpful those that give it are accused of having no manners, called mean or bullies and basically told to shut their cake hole...

So I'm not going to get into this fight, but I will say this in a voice of being neutral:

1) the OP was frustrated and thought it might help her to perhaps reset her body (or not over do it) by cutting out fast food/junk etc. for 30 days... so she was NOT asking an opinion of what YOU thought of her plan, she was asking for WHO wanted to JOIN her.

2) you (if I recall, it's a long thread/lots of replies) were called a troll because you came in here with a bit of a battle. YES you have your opinion, and you're absolutely right to it.

It wasn't that you disagreed... it's that you CONTINUED to do so ... " is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

So while you didn't agree, you continued to come in here and repeatedly express your opinion.

This wasn't an opinion post... it was a "who wants to join me" post.

NOT the same thing - and in that case, I can totally see why she saw you as a troll. (And others saw too).

So while you don't agree, why would you repeatedly try to cause an argument, and insist YOUR way is right?

As someone pointed out, some things work for some people, but NOT everything works for everyone.

Fact is, I DO NOT eat fast food because I've read the ingredients!!! It's total CRAP. (And yes, I worked at BK when I was a kid).

And frankly I don't think I'll completely stop 'junk' either, but I can CHANGE what I eat - i.e., I recently just made a switch from having a treat daily of the 70 calorie choc bars (2-3) to a serving (20) of M&M Peanuts. STill gives the choc craving, but has more protein, and now that's been great (and the scale is finally moving in the right direction again).

BUT - while I've cut back on pop (soda), I still had one daily.

To me, this is motivation to improve on those few things (like cutting out pop).

So in short - the OP only wanted those to join her, not answer an opinion. Everyone has one, that's true. But to constantly battle is wrong when she didn't ask for an opinion. (Just my thoughts, and I was a forum moderator for a big name tv station, so I'm not a newbie by any means).
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hai I'm here to insert my opinion because this is a public forum.

Those who go on very restrictive dieting (like this one) tend to fall back in old habits and learn nothing. Just an observation. That is why moderation is something people commonly recommend. I'm going on a 30 day moderation diet to learn sustainable habits that will enable me to function normally around the people around me rather than demonizing foods. Foods are foods. There are no good or bad foods. It is the person who holds the fork, can, the hands that is ultimately responsible.

Eagerly awaiting to be called a troll for an opinion that doesn't fit OP....

Well said. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Yeah, I am ok missing that, haha. Why can't we let people do what works best for them? Why does it have to always be a my way or the highway approach? If moderation works for you, then awesome! I mean it, that is wonderful. Everybody works different and if people find that detoxing from stuff that makes them feel bad is what they need to do then why piss on their parade? If someone came on here wanting to do something truly dangerous (i.e. anorexia, starvation, etc) then I get jumping on them in a supportive manner to encourage them to seek a different path, but I fail to see how wanting to eat fresh food and non "junk" is a bad or unhealthy thing.

In any case, I am out. Trolls can go back to your trolling without the nice people getting in your way, lol

Beannacht, agus póg mo thóin! :)

ironic post is ironic

and I don't think letting people know they don't have to give up foods they like is "pissing on" anyones parade it's letting them know they can have treats still if they really want....

What I don't understand is why when advice like that is given to be helpful those that give it are accused of having no manners, called mean or bullies and basically told to shut their cake hole...

So I'm not going to get into this fight, but I will say this in a voice of being neutral:

1) the OP was frustrated and thought it might help her to perhaps reset her body (or not over do it) by cutting out fast food/junk etc. for 30 days... so she was NOT asking an opinion of what YOU thought of her plan, she was asking for WHO wanted to JOIN her.

2) you (if I recall, it's a long thread/lots of replies) were called a troll because you came in here with a bit of a battle. YES you have your opinion, and you're absolutely right to it.

It wasn't that you disagreed... it's that you CONTINUED to do so ... " is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

So while you didn't agree, you continued to come in here and repeatedly express your opinion.

This wasn't an opinion post... it was a "who wants to join me" post.

NOT the same thing - and in that case, I can totally see why she saw you as a troll. (And others saw too).

So while you don't agree, why would you repeatedly try to cause an argument, and insist YOUR way is right?

As someone pointed out, some things work for some people, but NOT everything works for everyone.

Fact is, I DO NOT eat fast food because I've read the ingredients!!! It's total CRAP. (And yes, I worked at BK when I was a kid).

And frankly I don't think I'll completely stop 'junk' either, but I can CHANGE what I eat - i.e., I recently just made a switch from having a treat daily of the 70 calorie choc bars (2-3) to a serving (20) of M&M Peanuts. STill gives the choc craving, but has more protein, and now that's been great (and the scale is finally moving in the right direction again).

BUT - while I've cut back on pop (soda), I still had one daily.

To me, this is motivation to improve on those few things (like cutting out pop).

So in short - the OP only wanted those to join her, not answer an opinion. Everyone has one, that's true. But to constantly battle is wrong when she didn't ask for an opinion. (Just my thoughts, and I was a forum moderator for a big name tv station, so I'm not a newbie by any means).

Take this in however voice you want.

I responded to the OP once and gave my opinion Once Just once...as helpful advice that it wasn't necessary if she really didn't want to do it...and she explained she couldn't do moderation and said thanks tho...

Responded to another person and then was told to kiss their *kitten* for absolutely no reason...and I responded to that post because it was rude, then continued to get ruder...and guess what I wasn't called a troll at all during this thread so for you to respond to me in this way is just absolutely laughable.

So you will have to excuse me if I think you need to go back and reread the entire thread before you post something like this..

Repeatedly came back to express my opinion my butt...and I don't care if you were a moderator of anything your opinion in here has nothing to do with joining the group either so guess what

Ironic post is ironic

Esp for you to come in here "with your neutral voice" because you 'used to be a moderator" seems to me like you are trolling...mainly because this is directed at someone who wasn't even accused of "trolling" this post but was told to kiss someone's *kitten* for absolutely no reason...

Put that in your former moderator pipe and smoke it.

PS ToS of this forum is that you will not attack another user...esp without just cause and this is an attack on me directly for no reason and you personally have hijacked and have flame baited me in to increase the "drama" of this thread for no apparent reason other than to chastize someone who wasn't even called a troll...*shakes head*
    No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

edit to fix quotes
  • 1daylate1dollarshort
    Options
    I am trying to give up all the fast food and sugary crap I used to eat too, and replacing that stuff with more fruits and veggies. I actually LIKE the healthier stuff, which I had no idea was possible. It can be tasty, and a good replacement, and it didn't take too long before I really just thought "Hey, I don't really want to eat all the fast food and junk I was eating before!"

I think it's weird how it may be considered "self-sabotage" to go about a diet change in this particular manner. I can see the argument, but the term "healthy" is certainly subjective. I don't care if other people eat fast food and all the stuff they used to like and still lose weight. I just can't do it.

I want to be healthier (as I said, that's subjective) meaning I would like to ease into eating more "cleanly" than I have been.

So, OP, I think going 30 days cutting that stuff out of your diet as you find it "problem" food, is probably going to be a good idea.

"Everything in moderation" doesn't apply to chocolate and burgers and deep fried junk FOR ME. My diet isn't going to work if I say "oh, just one fry" or "one mint chocolate candy." If I can't control myself around these things, I find that the best course of action is to eliminate them nearly entirely. Kinda like how I quit smoking several months ago. I can't have ONE cigarette.

I've only been up to it for 20 days, but I like this diet change. I want to sustain it. Some would say I'd fail at this. I'd say that I've met plenty of people who have cut out "junk" and replaced it with "healthier" items and that they have maintained this lifestyle. They didn't stop four months later and gain all the weight and more back. They made a permanent change to FEEL better and be healthier.

Sometimes THAT happens too.

I'll go 30 days with you! I'm going to cut out alcohol. Hopefully I don't end up an alcoholic because I cut it out for thirty days! Man, that would suck.
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think the idea is great! I'm participating to help develop better habits when it comes to fast food. Instead of ordering out when I'm tired, I want to learn how to make home made quick food. That doesn't mean I might not have a BK once I've completed my 30 days.

The soda is going to be a tough one for me as I drink a minimum of of couple cola zeros a day! I've stocked up on lots of bottled water.

The lady who created the thread is not rude for calling her husband a jerk in a playful way. I think many people have not understood how the comment was intended.

If anyone doesn't believe that the 30 day no junk, no soda, no fast food thing is a good idea, can they not say "I don't think this is a good idea." in a constructive way rather than slamming someone good intentions?
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I have given up soda for 3 years now and I'm not craving it at all anymore. It was just hard in the first 3 months but if you have a substitute for it like your favorite fruit juice, you wouldnt even wanna drink it anymore. Soda is really unecessary in my opinion so if you wanna give it up for long term, it wouldnt harm, promise. Most of my excess weight before were because of soda, soda became my water so I was always bloated and always craving more and more of it. If you wanna give up a specific type of food, dont give it a time frame, do it for good. Because if you put a time frame on it, you wont succeed, why? Because you will look forward to the end of that 30 days and then binge. Believe it or not, I've tried so hard with fast food, I didnt eat it for 6 months but when an opportunity came, I binged on it like there's no tomorrow. So i guess fast food is really a part of life, as well as junk food so it's better to just make smart choices rather than put limitations on myself. The key here is portion control :)