New older member

Options
Hi, my name is Annie. I'm 60 years old and am having a tough time losing weight (again). Three years ago I found out I was diabetic and at first I just waved it away with my hand and a pfffffft. Then I learned a few things about diabetes and decided to take control. I lost 64 lbs in just over a year without a regular exercise program, just by changing my eating habits. I was really kinda surprised because I was convinced I couldn't lose weight. That was silly considering I had never given it a serious try. I didn't own a scale (because it would tell me what I did not want to know) but decided to invest in the $7.99 model gracing the shelves of Walmart's bathroom section. I was amazed as I watched the needle descend. And then I started getting cocky, not paying enough attention to what I was eating, just keeping an eye on carbs and my glucose meter which usually had good numbers. That scale kept trying to tell me to get back in check and I started trying. I watched as it went from 128 to 130. Then I got mad and swore if it started going above 130 I'd have to do something drastic, like walking or biking. I have a stationary bike but it just doesn't seem like it's a very good workout. I have foot trouble so I figured I wouldn't be able to walk on that dusty old treadmill in the corner that doubles as a coat rack. But since there is no public swimming pool around here and I'm too poor (and embarrassed) to join a gym, I gave the treadmill a try. I can go for 20 minutes and then I'm toast. I try to do that twice a day but sometimes I'm just too tired. I probably end up doing 20 minutes 3 or 4 x a week with an extra 20 minutes twice a week. It doesn't seem to be enough. I haven't lost an ounce in almost a month. I watch what I eat but there are many times when I just don't feel well, I get hot and shaky, weak and then get a headache. So I eat something, whole wheat crackers or a Nutri grain bar and then I'm ok. What do I do? Try to increase my exercise? Research foods that are low in calories, don't cost a small fortune (eating healthy is expensive), and will give me energy and stay with me longer? I just really don't know. I'd love some help, to hear your ideas and to find others, friends here, for mutual support. I've blabbed long enough. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• BritinItaly
    Options
    I'd say go to the farmers' market and get some fresh food. "healthy" foods from the supermarket tend to be expensive..fresh food is not.
    When i started dieting last summer I hadn't lost anything in the first month either....and in the same time my hubby had lost 4 kilo(9 lbs?) But it finally started to go after about 6 weeks and has been going down slowly slowly ever since. I'm convinced that slow is the way to go as I've done all the fast diets known to man , mostly successfully, but piled it all back on later. This time I'm aiming on 1 kilo (2lbs) a month.
  • cougarose
    Options
    I love farmer's markets and when they are there selling I'm there buying. I also grow my own fairly large garden, then can what I'm able, mostly tomatoes, okra and beans. Sadly last year was a bad one for potatoes, I didn't get even get enough for more than 2 meals. I know I need to be patient (not my strong suit) and keep at it and when I read replies like yours, BritanItaly, it really helps me to know it's not just me. Thank you for taking the time to talk to me. I appreciate it.