How long did it take?

Options
I have a question for the MFP community. It's just out of curiosity. How long did it take for you to lose weight, and how did you power through it? Do you have any tips for a newbie like me?

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty broad question, as everyone will be different. It took me a year to lose 21 lbs , but I weigh 135. Someone heavier may be able to lose more quickly. It all depends on the person and their goals.
  • cakesyme
    cakesyme Posts: 20
    Options
    I know. Thank you. I just want to see what everyone has to say.
  • mart001
    mart001 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I started jan 4, 2013 at 282 pounds and now i am at 176. for me everything positive that happened inspired me. i pre log food and now know how hard it is to take off, so i know by eating bad and gaining a pound or 2, that can take me a week or 2 to take off., so that usually stops me. i am at the point where i would rather lose that pound than eat a piece of pizza or cake. just dont worry about how far you have to go, look at your accomplishments and dont worry about the scale. it doesnt always do what you expect. you can be good and gain, and you can be bad and lose. just do the right thing, which is eat within your calories and exercise. any exercise. i lost all my 106 pounds just from walking. if you can do more great. if not, even walking works. if you want, email me anytime as always on here... best of luck and have a great weekend...
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10.5 and starting weight was 185. I'm now 165. I started December 4, 2013 until my weigh in yesterday to lose 20lbs. I was considered a little overweight I guess but basically 3 1/2 months to lose 20lbs.

Be consistent and do not give up. If you have a "bad" meal or day just keep it pushing and do better that next meal or next day. Think of this as a lifestyle change and not a diet.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"5' and I've lost 50lb in eight months (anniversary today!) And I''ve got another 50lb to go - it's going to take me at least another year, may be more to drop that. But I'm determined.

How? By logging honestly, eating enough, but not too much and getting some walking in. Have started to do strength training now, to preserve some of my lean body mass. I've also learned not to beat myself up if I have an off day or two (like this weekend). Just get back on the horse and keep plugging away.

It seems so slow when you're doing it, but time marches on regardless, and it's amazing to look back and see that I have made a big difference to how I look since I started back in July last year.

Tips: Eat less, move more. Log honestly, be prepared to try different things if losses aren't happening and remember that one bad day won't put all the weight back on. Just as one good day isn't going to take it all off. It's a slow process, but you'll be glad you started in less time than you think.

And good luck!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    How long depends on how often you eat right, exercise, and drink plenty of water.

I started off doing cardio everyday for 30 minutes, drank 64oz of water, stayed within my calorie range and lost 4.5lbs the first week. Afterwards, 3lbs a week then finally down to 1-2lbs a week. This was all under Weight Watchers. I switched to this site a few days ago and will see if the same will work here.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Took me a year. I used to exercise M-F cardio. Recently Ive been doing weight lifting M-W-F and cardio T-Th. I find logging everything I eat works. I also pre-log so I know if I will hit my macros for the day or do I need to adjust and eat something different to get there. I still log I find it keeps me from reverting back to bad habits. Also I dont eat my exercise calories back. I dont so that when I go out with family and have date night or movie night I have wiggle room instead of worrying about everything. I find it works for me personally. Some do same calories everyday it works for them.
  • itsfatum
    itsfatum Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It took me eight months to drop 10kg, from ~75kg to 65kg. Six of those months were me doing cardio 5d/w and eating whatever I felt like (mostly crap). Only these last two months I've started getting concerned about caloric density, fullness and macronutrients ratios.

I didn't need to power through it because I have a deep reason to do it. Everyone have their own reasons, and you can't use those for yourself just like that. Whatever reason you may have, it needs to be deep enough to motivate you to do a lifestyle change. That's why you need to come up with your own one. I would love to give you one, but it wouldn't work. It needs to come from within.

In my case, I watched this video and thought: I want to be the fit grandpa that goes biking with his family if they want to do so. Being healthy then starts today, not when I'm 50 and I'm already sick.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo6QNU8kHxI
    That was reason enough for me to make a deal with myself. I will workout until I'm old, just because that's what's required to be healthy.

As for tips for a newbie, I would tell you to explore. Explore nutrition by yourself, explore new foods, new workouts, new physical activities. You may or may not like them, and that's fine. But the fact that you are exploring will keep things interesting even on those really hard days when you seriously want to give up or don't feel like working out / eating healthy. Don't feel like eating those boring salads you eat everyday? Try a new weird salad recipe you just found on internet. It may taste like ****, but it's certain you wont be bored trying it.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I am not young, so to avoid wrinkling as much as possible I choose to lose weight slowly. I lost 22 lbs. in about eight months. May lose another 8 in the futrure, or when I feel I look the way I want to, the number isn't important.... no hurry.
  • synpax
    synpax Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Forward: Your mileage may vary....

Probably, more than anything, you have to get over the hump of feeling hungry.

Once you've gotten over this hump, you'll find your stomach has adjusted and you just won't crave as much food and you'll reach a state of being "content" (not "full") sooner and with healthier foods.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    It has taken me since the end of July to lose 74 pounds but my loss has slowed significantly in the past month or so.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I've lost 23 lbs since Thanksgiving, so I'm halfway to "goal weight." I put that in quotations because I don't know where I'm going to end up. The number seems good, but having the body I want is more important. If that means a few pounds over, I'm fine with it.
  • malyce86
    malyce86 Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm losing very slowly, but at least it's been consistent. Today is my 73rd day and I've lost 7 lbs - so about a pound every 10 days. (I'm 5'4 and started at 145 & am now 138).
  • BeyMe
    BeyMe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It took me 2 maybe 3 months to lose 20 lbs. I was working extremely hard. I'm on vacation now so I fell off but I plan going on the same plan again
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds in like 4 months I think...
  • dwmoook
    dwmoook Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 1.7m tall and started at 105kg in August 2013. Today I weighed in at 72.8kg. So 7.5months to lose 32kg.

I try to drink plenty of water and always try to weigh food whenever possible.

I don't get a huge amount of exercise but when I do I eat back about half the MFP burn.

Have just reset my goals a bit because I think I could probably loose another couple of kilos to get me further into the "ideal" weight category. Currently aiming to get to a BMI of under 25.

Good luck with your weight loss.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    21lbs in about 4-5 months, main thing is keeping it off. Still working on my last 5lbs slowly. How to do it: Ignore a lot of the stuff you've been previously. Learn about calorie deficit and do not restrict the things you love is the biggest tip just moderate how much you eat.
  • hotjodels
    hotjodels Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1'' stared here at 210 lbs about 4 months (or 137 days) ago and I am at 180 now.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    50+ lbs in 9 months
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I started my final weight loss on January 6th 2013....

I am 5lbs from maintenance.

To be honest I didn't have to power through anything...I have learned to eat whatever I want in moderation...so I don't feel the need to binge on anything or have "cheat" days or meals.

I will be frank tho...over Christmas I planned on eating at maintenance for my vacation..gained 1.5lbs..no biggy...lost it quickly.

Over vacation I couldn't log and wanted to enjoy my first trip south and gained 4lbs but it's gone ...

I have given away alllll my big clothes...well almost all I have some new "big" cloths from this summer I have to give away and I just wont go out and rebuy new cloths..