Taking a break from running.

kewkdb
kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I ran straight for 1 month. 7 days a week with every day trying to improve on my times with no issues what so ever. Last Sunday I took a day off and now my knees hurt. So I'm going to slow it down over the next week and do fast walks up and down the hills in my neighborhood.

Hopefully it just takes a week and I can start out with running again and then back to trying to improve on my times :)

Replies

• SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    I have been getting into running, and it seems like from everything I have read, that it isn't really advisable to run everyday. All the articles I have read said that you should take at least one recovery day betweens runs in order for your muscles to recover and heal. And actually that should help you improve your times, because by allowing your muscles to heal you make them stronger, and decrease your risk of injury.

So I alternate running days with other exercises. It's also just nice to have some variety in the routine, so you don't get burnt out, or injured :)

Have a nice break!
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    yeah i would rest. we never know we are "hurt" until we stop running.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    When you were running everyday did you stagger your distance and pace from day to day?

This always help when trying to improve your performance.

Karen
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    I get grumpy when I take breaks from running :-(
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    When you were running everyday did you stagger your distance and pace from day to day?

This always help when trying to improve your performance.

Karen

Yeah, things were changed up quite a bit day to day.
  • rescuepete
    rescuepete Posts: 58 Member
    I am a big fan of the fitness walk.
This discussion has been closed.