What made you Vegan/Vegetarian?

Options
Ive been vegetarian now for 10 years and it was the animal cruelty which turned me away from meat, no health or taste reasons. And yesterday I watched Gary Yourofsky's speech on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UROxRLbVils
this is has given me the push to go full vegan which I swear ive been meaning to do for years. Im a day n a half into it and already shocked at how many foods have hidden animal products in, for example when I go to Red Robin I get the burnin' love with a vegan burger instead of meat, turns out the bun has a product of chicken feathers in it!!.
Just like to hear your experiences with veganism, peoples responses and attitudes, what made you vegan or veggie and any tips really
x

Replies

• childofbodom123
    childofbodom123 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I never ever liked the texture or taste of meat but played a huge amount of football in my youth so meat features heavily ... I hated it .. I didn't like the idea of eating animals either .. A friend of mine was a vegetarian and because of how much meat I had to eat, they asked me to just go 1 week without eating meat and see how it felt, that was 10 years ago! So that's how I became a vegetarian, 1 week without meat I didn't miss it and much preferred not having the horrible taste!
  • catherinemaxwell566
    Options
    I never ever liked the texture or taste of meat but played a huge amount of football in my youth so meat features heavily ... I hated it .. I didn't like the idea of eating animals either .. A friend of mine was a vegetarian and because of how much meat I had to eat, they asked me to just go 1 week without eating meat and see how it felt, that was 10 years ago! So that's how I became a vegetarian, 1 week without meat I didn't miss it and much preferred not having the horrible taste!

I think that's great that you gave it up, I imagine there was a bit of teasing being a vegetarian amongst your football friends?
  • childofbodom123
    Options

I think that's great that you gave it up, I imagine there was a bit of teasing being a vegetarian amongst your football friends?

There was indeed a huge amount of teasing, they used to eat things like chicken, bacon or sausages for lunch and they'd put a bit of grass on the table for me ... Or they'd pick up a steak and start to moo at me and all laugh .. But I didn't care much, I got / get pretty much all the nutrients they do without eating an animal! I don't judge anyone, but it doesn't bother me too much when someone says something like 'I can't believe you are a vegetarian, I would die if I didn't eat meat' .. I feel a bit better for not eating animals and ultimately I hate the taste of meat, so why eat it when it's not vital like water!
  • omariea
    omariea Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi Catherine!

I'm vegan and I think the hardest thing about it is dealing with others sometimes...! I make a point to NOT go out of my way to shove my beliefs in other people's faces, but people get really defensive and touchy about veganism. My theory is that meat/dairy etc are, as silly as it sounds, really personal and emotional triggers for people. It's the food most of us grew up eating as children and there's a lot of emotional attachment to it...holidays, birthdays, etc. That's why I tread the waters carefully and never judge anyone for their eating habits. That's one issue I have with veganism is the idea that people are "evil" for eating meat and dairy, when in fact most of the people are just misinformed or emotionally attached. Love is always the answer! If people get defensive or angry, respond with love, always.

I chose this lifestyle for health and ethical reasons. I'm currently working on a cardiac floor at the hospital and am shocked by how often (almost always) heart disease is a product of preventable lifestyle choices. Gary Yourofsky's speech you mentioned (one of my faves!) explains it all there so I don't need to go into that. And I've always been an animal lover...it just felt wrong to eat animals like chickens and cows when I love my pets. And I omit dairy because even if you avoid meat, you are still supporting those industries that cause that harm and pain :( Not to mention the environmental impact! I digress.

My tips are stick to whole foods (treats like nondairy ice cream and vegan pizza is fine in moderation!) like fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc. A big one is don't go overboard on the fats from nuts/seeds/avo etc...a lot of people do that first coming to veganism to compensate for the taste. I personally eat around 70-80% carbs, 10-20% protein, and <10% fat. And for those saying carbs alone make you fat, I'm losing weight quite easily and that is a fallacy :) However for those who want more protein, I'd go easy on the soy. Sunwarrior and Now Sports make great vegan protein powders! And as I mentioned previously, remember that you are coming to this lifestyle out of love so make sure you give love to everyone who challenges or supports your lifestyle.

There's my novel for the day. Good luck with your journey and welcome! I'm glad you made this choice for yourself. Feel free to friend me for some support!

Love & Light,
    Olivia
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Been veggy for a year now. What started it was the horsemeat scandal. Made me wonder what was really in the food that I ate, and what was happening to all the animals. The more I looked into vegetarians, the more appalled I have become at the food industry and the way the animals are treated in the process. I hadn't even thought about the environmental issues until I watched Vegucated.
  • catherinemaxwell566
    Options
    some really good responses thank you guys,
    I remember over the years if people found out I was vegetarian it was like they thought I was gonna steal their meat and got very defensive then insisted on listing every meat they enjoy. Also found that even though horrified theyd be a little comforted that I wasn't vegan, well now I am so they'll have to deal with that too lol
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for 25 years then went vegan in Novemeber. The first week I freaked and kept it really quiet from everybody until I knew how I felt about it.
    Now, nearly 5 months in I'm finding it pretty easy. I hate animal cruelty and I couldn't really avoid knowing in the end that the dairy industry and meat industry are closely linked.
    Good luck to you.
    I try to keep it pretty healthy. At first I ate too much crap with palm oil in. Now I try to avoid it as it's not quality food and lots of rain forest gets destroyed for Palm which is pretty bad to everyone including animals.
  • childofbodom123
    Options
    some really good responses thank you guys,
    I remember over the years if people found out I was vegetarian it was like they thought I was gonna steal their meat and got very defensive then insisted on listing every meat they enjoy. Also found that even though horrified theyd be a little comforted that I wasn't vegan, well now I am so they'll have to deal with that too lol

I always say.... You eating meat does not offend or bother me, so please don't be offended or bothered by the fact that I don't!
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian from the age of 16, I am now 22.
    I stopped because I could just not take the thought of eating animals anymore - I try not to judge anyone who does, but it didn't work for me. I couldn't do it. I have started to sleep much better after becoming a vegetarian. I feel better, even though I know that's not what defines a human being... I feel like a better human being than I personally was before. I know some people might find it stupid but it makes me feel at peace :embarassed:
  • KMC1012
    KMC1012 Posts: 20
    Options
    Just the thought of eating an living thing repulses me, always has done. Maybe it is because my Mum is a vegetarian, so I was brought up not eating meat. I never drank cows milk when I was young, I actually have a phobia of it, so I just ended up being vegan without even knowing that is what I was for a long time.
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My "soon-to-be" brother in-law sends me pictures of steak (still bloody or rare) or a giant beef burger as to mess with me but I too have found if people want to attack me or make fun of me (like my brother in-law) I think its best to just brush it off. I have been a vegetarian for 12 years and I love my lifestyle. I stopped eating meat for health reasons, too much red meat clogs the arteries and I live in Texas and it was beef and potatoes Mon-Fri and Saturday and Sunday was Pork roast or steak! lol. I have also slowly begun the transition of becoming vegan. I do however still consume Greek yogurt (great protein source) and half and half in my daily coffee but I have completely cut out cheese and I swear the weight fell off of me when I stopped the CHEESE. Either way its my life and my decision and its a decision I have never regretted :)

-Lorin
  • clmay65
    clmay65 Posts: 1
    Options
    I became a vegan a year ago after being diagnosed with an extremely rare cancer called angiosarcoma. It was caused by radiation treatments I received fifteen years ago for breast cancer. I began studying nutrition and the effects of food on the body. I learned about the importance of avoiding acidic foods that can create inflammation in the body. Two of the biggest offenders include meat and dairy. For many years I had thought about becoming a vegan for humanitarian reasons. I love animals and deep down I always knew I would feel better about myself as a human being if I did not consume animal products. People do sometimes question me about my vegan choices, but when I tell them it is for health reasons, they don't usually give me any grief which is a relief because I have little patience for people who get worked up over issues that are not their business in the first place. The cancer diagnosis has been scary (with a survival rate of only 30% after five years), but I feel at peace in my heart and a deep appreciation and love for animals.
  • catherinemaxwell566
    Options
    I became a vegan a year ago after being diagnosed with an extremely rare cancer called angiosarcoma. It was caused by radiation treatments I received fifteen years ago for breast cancer. I began studying nutrition and the effects of food on the body. I learned about the importance of avoiding acidic foods that can create inflammation in the body. Two of the biggest offenders include meat and dairy. For many years I had thought about becoming a vegan for humanitarian reasons. I love animals and deep down I always knew I would feel better about myself as a human being if I did not consume animal products. People do sometimes question me about my vegan choices, but when I tell them it is for health reasons, they don't usually give me any grief which is a relief because I have little patience for people who get worked up over issues that are not their business in the first place. The cancer diagnosis has been scary (with a survival rate of only 30% after five years), but I feel at peace in my heart and a deep appreciation and love for animals.
    hope everything works out for you and well done for giving up meat, hopefully karma will come into effect here
  • catherinemaxwell566
    Options
    Vegetarian for 25 years then went vegan in Novemeber. The first week I freaked and kept it really quiet from everybody until I knew how I felt about it.
    Now, nearly 5 months in I'm finding it pretty easy. I hate animal cruelty and I couldn't really avoid knowing in the end that the dairy industry and meat industry are closely linked.
    Good luck to you.
    I try to keep it pretty healthy. At first I ate too much crap with palm oil in. Now I try to avoid it as it's not quality food and lots of rain forest gets destroyed for Palm which is pretty bad to everyone including animals.

Im reluctant to tell anyone to be honest, told my husband yesterday and he seemed disappointed in me! such odd reactions we get for trying to do something good!
  • missionprobable
    missionprobable Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was already at the point where meat grossed me out because I am such an animal lover and only ate it occasionally then I became vegetarian over a year ago after watching one of the horrifying peta videos. I had seen them before and tried going vegetarian because of that same reason before but it didn't stick until the last time. I was too lazy and didn't know how to make the switch beforehand. Now, I realize it's really not that much different than before other than eating out. And then I found out that I can make restaurants make me my own specialized meal. :)

I went vegan for three months and it was way harder of a switch for me. I understand people's reasoning and wish I could do it too but there were just some things where substitutes just didn't cut it. New shoes? I had yet to figure out that obstacle. It also takes a lot of researching and planning out. It is amazing the types of things that do have animal products in it, specifically gelatin. Which kills me to think of a little kid eating candy not knowing that it's made of ground up animal bones :(:( Good luck to you on your switch Catherine!
  • Mugiwarah
    Mugiwarah Posts: 40
    Options
    Kudo's to y'all but your missing on quite some nutrtitions

I go with the flow, animals are made to be eaten, I mean even animals eat animals... lol it's a way of life and survival.
    What would happen if we would not eat animals? Overpopulation, you'd seriously be walking on a chicken every step you take as there are about 20 billion chickens on earth today and that's with the consuming of chicken

Although I do agree that there are people who mistreat animals before they die and that it should stop, but for me that's not a reason to stop eating meat although I wouldn't buy meat from such persons. Besides cruality can differ from person to person, let's bring back the animal example; lions freakin' slash scrath and suffocate and animal to death, one would say it's cruel because they compare it to humans and the other would say that's their way of slaughtering.

Last but not least I'd join the crew if I only hard front teeth, but I also have canine teeth to slice me up some meat and teeth in the back to chew it up :happy:
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I go with the flow, animals are made to be eaten, I mean even animals eat animals... lol it's a way of life and survival.
    What would happen if we would not eat animals?
    Last but not least I'd join the crew if I only hard front teeth, but I also have canine teeth to slice me up some meat and teeth in the back to chew it up :happy:

Oh yeah. That's why we haven't changed a bit in 4,2 million of years since we evolved from the Australopithecus :happy:
  • catherinemaxwell566
    Options
    Kudo's to y'all but your missing on quite some nutrtitions

What would happen if we would not eat animals? Overpopulation, you'd seriously be walking on a chicken every step you take as there are about 20 billion chickens on earth today and that's with the consuming of chicken

Although I do agree that there are people who mistreat animals before they die and that it should stop, but for me that's not a reason to stop eating meat although I wouldn't buy meat from such persons. Besides cruality can differ from person to person, let's bring back the animal example; lions freakin' slash scrath and suffocate and animal to death, one would say it's cruel because they compare it to humans and the other would say that's their way of slaughtering.

animals do not exist to be eaten by us, that's a very arrogant concept. animals exist for the same reason we exist and no one on the planet has the answer for it. I personally am not missing any nutrients, but im sure some vegans are just as a lot of meat eaters are.
    we do not have teeth remotely resembling carnivorous animals or even omnivorous animals so i cannot see that as a good reason to eat meat either
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    How do vegans become overweight? Seems like so many snacks and junk food have some non-vegan friendly ingredient in them.
  • catherinemaxwell566
    Options
    How do vegans become overweight? Seems like so many snacks and junk food have some non-vegan friendly ingredient in them.

too many calories and fats id imagine, I don't know any overweight vegans though