Too many calories?

Options
AKNMHunt
AKNMHunt Posts: 168 Member
Hi all, I am starting to try to lose weight. My goal is to go from 175 to at most 160 by June (so 6 ish weeks) if I can. I just started the 30 Day Shred.

This site's saying I should shoot for 1600 cals (pre exercise cals). I'm wondering if that's too much. I plan to do 30DS 6 days a week and other than chasing kids, that's my activity.

I don't like the idea of calorie counting, but tracking my foods seems to help me feel responsible for what I'm eating more than just hoping I make good choices.

Replies

• corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Well I can tell you that I'm 5'5 also 175lbs and my goal is to be 140 but whenever I get there.
    I workout 6 days a week with a mix of weight training, cardio, and HIIT. I strive for at LEAST 1600 calories everyday, and im considering upping it because some days I still feel hungry and weak and thats not ok.

I feel like women have been trained by the media to freak out at anything over 1200 calories when they start counting. Dont be afraid to feed your body. I dont know anything about the workout plan you want to do, but if it is intensive you will need those calories.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    If you enter your information into MFP the calorie goal it gives you is usually pretty accurate. It gives me 1400 calories to lose 1 pound a week but I just can't do that. I eat 1600 and i just have to be ok with losing the weight at a slower pace... I'd rather do that then eat 1400 calories.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    When I did 30DS I ate 1600 a day and lost weight...I know average 1700 a day and lose weight consistently.
  • AKNMHunt
    Options
    Thanks!! My overall goal is to be down to 140/145, but for now I'm doing a short term goal. I did the first day of 30 Day Shred last night and I'll be doing it 6 days a week.

I don't know how much is me being hungry vs me wanting to eat. I snack, a lot. I am a stress eater and I am self programmed to eat a lot. My husband said too few calories wont let me lose weight either. I thought 1500 was a good number for working out.
  • thrillainvanilla
    Options
    You'll only burn about 190 calories from 20 minutes of 30 day shred, and I think eating within 1600-1700 per day would be fine. That's probably a 1lb/week loss. But remember that while doing an exercise routine like 30ds you may not see the scale move as much but you'll definitely look a lot better!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am starting to try to lose weight. My goal is to go from 175 to at most 160 by June (so 6 ish weeks) if I can. I just started the 30 Day Shred.

This site's saying I should shoot for 1600 cals (pre exercise cals). I'm wondering if that's too much. I plan to do 30DS 6 days a week and other than chasing kids, that's my activity.

I don't like the idea of calorie counting, but tracking my foods seems to help me feel responsible for what I'm eating more than just hoping I make good choices.

I know the feeling because before I got serious about my weight loss, I hope myself to over 200 pounds. LOL!

You should consider using the site to track in order to see what combination of exercise, food, and water works for you in order to lose weight. If 1600 is too much then cut back a bit until you see results. Once you get the hang of it and feel you no longer have to track to keep the pace then stop tracking.

Are you familiar with calculating your BMR in order to create a calorie deficiency in order to lose weight?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    My goal is to go from 175 to at most 160 by June (so 6 ish weeks) if I can.… My overall goal is to be down to 140/145, but for now I'm doing a short term goal.
    With a total of 30–35 lb. to lose, a healthy, realistic, sustainable goal is 1 lb. per week at first. As you get closer to goal, your loss will probably slow to .5 lb. per week. That's just how the human body works. So 15 lb. in 6 weeks (2.5 lb. per week) is unrealistic and downright dangerous for someone your size.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    My goal is to go from 175 to at most 160 by June (so 6 ish weeks) if I can.… My overall goal is to be down to 140/145, but for now I'm doing a short term goal.
    With a total of 30–35 lb. to lose, a healthy, realistic, sustainable goal is 1 lb. per week at first. As you get closer to goal, your loss will probably slow to .5 lb. per week. That's just how the human body works. So 15 lb. in 6 weeks (2.5 lb. per week) is unrealistic and downright dangerous for someone your size.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Yep, this!!!

OP: You didn't put the weight on over night don't expect it come off quickly, especially since you don't have much to lose! Slow and steady is the way to go.

Also date setting is never a good ideal, just eat at a reasonable deficit and exercise. Good luck.
  • MikesGirl0692
    Options
    If you enter your information into MFP the calorie goal it gives you is usually pretty accurate. It gives me 1400 calories to lose 1 pound a week but I just can't do that. I eat 1600 and i just have to be ok with losing the weight at a slower pace... I'd rather do that then eat 1400 calories.

This is me too. MFP gave me 1410 calories/day, and I can't do it. It's not enough. So I am set at 1600/day and also plan to eat back any exercise calories. I will lose at a slower rate , but I have only 10 lbs. to lose, so it's not a huge deal for me.
  • _Nicklebee
    Options
    I always tell people to remember it's not all about calories. It's what you're eating. For example, Whole bread VS White bread is a big difference when it comes to calories. White bread is about half the calories of wheat. So why does everyone tell you to buy wheat? 'Cause of the benefits of the whole wheat bread. Stick to eating whole, real foods and you'll be able to eat more without giving up so many calories.
  • AKNMHunt
    Options

Yep, this!!!

OP: You didn't put the weight on over night don't expect it come off quickly, especially since you don't have much to lose! Slow and steady is the way to go.

Also date setting is never a good ideal, just eat at a reasonable deficit and exercise. Good luck.

I'm just doing it all wrong then. Lol. I guess it's not so much about the number, it's about my body. I really just want to be happy with my body again and wearing the clothes I've outgrown.