Eating enough healthy food on a budget.

Options
Eating enough to build muscle and saving for grad school are proving to be mutually difficult. Historically, I've eaten a pretty limited diet based on whatever whole foods the grocery store sold cheapest. (ALDI yogurt, cabbage, ALDI peanuts, eggs, ALDI canned tuna, sometimes chicken leg quarters.) Now that I'm working out both to help me concentrate for studying and for strength, it's not enough.

Being of limited means, I overdid it on cheap vegetables the first week (Don't do that, especially if the cheapest vegetable in the store is cabbage.) It resulted in gastric distress of the extreme flatulence kind and I don't wish to repeat it.

Are there any cheap heathy ways to get those calories in without turning me into a gas bomb? I have easy access to an Aldi. Through coworkers and their various failed diet plans, I have half a big jar of nuts and a giant bag of NOW protein powder someone gave me. Also, I've been given several bags of PB2, 3 pounds of coconut flour, and a 3 pound can of dried egg whites (?) from someone's failed baking business. Any ideas on what to do with this stuff or add into my food shopping? I've been using the PB2 with hot pepper flakes to make cabbage spicy peanut "noodles", and they're pretty good, but I'd welcome some feedback or ideas.

I'll eat pretty much anything, with the exception of dairy milk (can force myself to swallow but don't care for), onions, and cilantro.

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Well, how many servings of veggies were you eating? Getting several servings per day is recommended, and the gas disappears once your body adapts.
  • sstone8507
    sstone8507 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I actually buy things in bulk so I get lower prices and pre-prep the meals into freezer bags. That way I can take advantage of the bulk pricing as well as have quick easy health meals that I can fix quickly.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    OP have a look in the recipes section for some ideas. Once you've got a base i.e. Chicken, veg, tuna its not too hard to build up a meal. As for too many veggies folk who are vegetarian manage just fine. Maybe try starting/looking for a student thread for some meal plan ideas. I'm sure there will be a lot of people in the same boat as yourself.
  • raggiemom
    raggiemom Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Try substituting beans...kidney, brown, white, black, etc or chick peas as your protein. They are often on sale. Buy chicken and fish when they are on sale.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Feeding ones self on a budget isnt easy. You simply must look and see whats on sale. Buy canned beans, navy, pinto,chickpeas,you get it. They are fair in protein and can fill you up. Buy meat on ssle and precook it to have for the week. Only buy fresh veggies and fruit when you know you will eat it soon. Good luck.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I'm on a small budget so I feel your pain.

My weekly grocery list consists of:

Protein Sources

Fage Greek Yogurt 23 grams of protein for one cup
    Dry Lentils 10 grams for 1/4 dry 80 cals
    Dry Green peas 9 grams of protein 1/4 cup 90 cals
    Great value frozen chicken breasts. Come in a bag with several 4oz chicken breasts.. 23 grams of protein 110 calories
    Eggland's best eggs extra large 80 cals 8 grams of protein
    Tuna 90 cals 20 grams of protein
    Canned chicken breast Forgot cals but around 26 grams of protein I believe
    4 oz salmon 1 dollar at Albertson's (get that occasionally) Also may get salmon on sale if under 4 dollars. 23 grams of protein
    Nonfat Milk 9 grams of protein 90 cals
    Body fortress Whey chocolate protein powder 15.99 170 cals and 30 grams of protein.

The rest in bananas, apples, or strawberries if on sale, Trader Joe's sweet, tart, and savory trek mix, Trader Joe's Cruciferous Mix , Spinach(Bunch), Bold almonds,,cilantro, ,, carrots(small bag of little ones). , tortillas, orowheat sandwich thins 5 grams of protein

Obviously some of the items above last more than a week. My weekly budget is small so I shop at two places.
    The beans are cheap and a good source of protein as well as fiber. I cook those a lot .. about a half cup turns out to be around Cup in a half I believe.
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hello! Fellow grad student here :)

I don't really know what to do with the leftover items you acquired, but here's what I generally do. I try to avoid getting prepackaged food for lunch (Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, etc.) unless I have a coupon. Instead, depending on my schedule for that day, I either bring leftovers from dinner the night before or put together a "snack box" full of healthy items that I can munch on over the course of the day (like every couple of hours, or whenever my body gets hungry). These items include protein bars, fruit, veggies and dip (like carrots and celery), yogurt, string cheese, and chips. I sometimes "splurge" by getting a sandwich from Panera Bread and split it over two days (one half-sandwich per day) to minimize cost and spread out the calories.

I would say try to hit things that are on sale and keep the rotation of items diverse so your body doesn't get bored. As others have said, try to buy in bulk if possible. Taking the time to look through my coupon binder and using my store card has saved me a ton. Don't be afraid to buy store-brand items (unless, of course, you have a coupon with a better deal.)

Also, if you can, try to walk or take the bus to get around rather than driving. It's an easy way to squeeze in exercise, and that helps me a lot because I spend a lot of time sitting at my desk while at work. Good luck!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later!:)
  • HollyKarlsen
    HollyKarlsen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I started eating a mostly raw diet 3 years ago and had a lot of trouble with trying to digest all those raw veggies (gas and bloating). Then I discovered kefir and the problem has pretty much gone away. I bought my own kefir grains on Amazon for $13 and have kept it going now on my own with a steady supply of homemade kefir that doesn't cost me any more than the price of the milk I make it with. Kefir is kind of like a liquid yogurt but has way more beneficial bacteria for your gut to help with digestion and really boosts your immune system.
  • Ozzzy66
    Ozzzy66 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    WALMART! Boneless skinless chicken breast are $1.99 lb, brown rice $.72 lb and lentils are $1.28 lb. I add EVOO to the rice when cooking for some healthy fat. Those four things make the base of all my meals and I can eat for less than $30 a week. Yes it gets old but food is fuel and nothing more. Hope that helps.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    WALMART! Boneless skinless chicken breast are $1.99 lb, brown rice $.72 lb and lentils are $1.28 lb. I add EVOO to the rice when cooking for some healthy fat. Those four things make the base of all my meals and I can eat for less than $30 a week. Yes it gets old but food is fuel and nothing more. Hope that helps.

Walmart is where I get my 3lb bag of frozen boneless, skinless chicken breast for I believe 6.99 or 7.99. I also get my lentil, green peas, 18 eggland extra large eggs 3.95, tuna (4 cans for 3 bucks), chicken breast in can 1 dollar, little bag of carrots 99 cents, bananas 59 cents a pound.

I go to stater bros and trader joe's for other stuff.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Eating enough to build muscle and saving for grad school are proving to be mutually difficult. Historically, I've eaten a pretty limited diet based on whatever whole foods the grocery store sold cheapest. (ALDI yogurt, cabbage, ALDI peanuts, eggs, ALDI canned tuna, sometimes chicken leg quarters.) Now that I'm working out both to help me concentrate for studying and for strength, it's not enough.

Being of limited means, I overdid it on cheap vegetables the first week (Don't do that, especially if the cheapest vegetable in the store is cabbage.) It resulted in gastric distress of the extreme flatulence kind and I don't wish to repeat it.

Are there any cheap heathy ways to get those calories in without turning me into a gas bomb? I have easy access to an Aldi. Through coworkers and their various failed diet plans, I have half a big jar of nuts and a giant bag of NOW protein powder someone gave me. Also, I've been given several bags of PB2, 3 pounds of coconut flour, and a 3 pound can of dried egg whites (?) from someone's failed baking business. Any ideas on what to do with this stuff or add into my food shopping? I've been using the PB2 with hot pepper flakes to make cabbage spicy peanut "noodles", and they're pretty good, but I'd welcome some feedback or ideas.

I'll eat pretty much anything, with the exception of dairy milk (can force myself to swallow but don't care for), onions, and cilantro.
    You can make macaroons out of the coconut and egg whites. Invest in a crockpot and make dried beans.. Invest in a small rice cooker (salton is a good brand)and get cheap long grain brown rice. It is very reasonable if bought in bulk at an Asian mkt. when you get accustomed to high fiber food the gas won't bother you. Now that it will be getting warmer, pass the word around that you would be happy to take extra veggies, venison,fish etc that anyone wants to give.