When life gives you cake...a lot

Options
How do you guys deal with people bringing you food? My friends, family and even strangers bring me food. I sometimes throw it out but that seems so wasteful. So I guess when life brings you cake (or other junky type food) what do you do? It’s not so much as if it is once in a while, if it was I would totally eat it, but it happens at least three times a week if not more often.

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    don't feel guilty about throwing it out (so long as you do so discreetly so no-one's feelings are hurt)........ if you eat more than you burn off, the food is still going to waste, because it's surplus to your body's requirements. The excess is stored as fat. So it's wasted either way.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    Find someone else to give it to or share it with :p
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I will often ask them to stay for some and eat a piece with them...

I am lucky as I have two big men in my house so it's typically gone quick...but if they aren't here I might even freeze it for later.

I am actually one of those people who bakes and cooks a lot...it cheers me up or I do it when I am happy...

In those situations I do freeze a lot of it...my donut recipe makes 6 dozen donuts and my men would eat them all...I mean all of them in 2 days so I make up a dozen and freeze them for some other day.

Cookies can be frozen unbaked I think for up to 3months..some up to six...baked longer I think. :drinker:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Bring it to work with you and feed your Co workers! I always bring stuff and people love it
  • lauriebeakley1
    Options
    Let's just say the birds in my back yard are well fed. :wink:
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I pass it on to someone else or toss it in the trash. Some things are suitable for the birds & they get a treat. No guilt.
  • shannongoneau
    shannongoneau Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    don't feel guilty about throwing it out (so long as you do so discreetly so no-one's feelings are hurt)........ if you eat more than you burn off, the food is still going to waste, because it's surplus to your body's requirements. The excess is stored as fat. So it's wasted either way.

Never thought of it with that spin on it. Great way to put things into perspective. Thanks!
  • shannongoneau
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone :)
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Find somewhere to donate it?
    Idk, maybe a soup kitchen or shelter or somewhere would take it? Make some phone calls and see if places like that will take it.
    Or take it to work to share?
  • MWShep
    MWShep Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a passion for cake so when cake is going at work I'm often given a large slice or a cupcake. I try to work out the macro's and calories, if it fits I'll eat it, if not I'll take it home and eat it when I can fit it in.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    We put it in the lobby as soon as they leave and tell everyone that mrs so and so made a treat for everyone. By the time usps,ups and fedex and anybody else comes by it is gone. Also have extremely well fed birds, they are happy to eat day glow green shamrock cookie crumbles. When people ask what they can bring our standard response is fruit, cheese or hummus please. You are King of the office if you bring us a veggie platter!
  • LittleMissFit83
    Options
    Coworkers love free food! lol. I work with a bunch of hens that don't care about their weight. ;)
  • shannongoneau
    Options
    The issue is its never actually big enough to share, its like a piece of cake (no pun intended), a few slices of pizza, candy etc. I get it from the people I work with (in a live theatre) theres always some catered event I avoid, but than co workers will bring me food from it lol. It honestly feels like the walls of food are closing in around me some days. I'll try and put it in a back corner and pass it off to the next person on shift, but than its been sitting around for 10 hours. I have given it before to a homless person that hangs out around my building, but than he started asking for money etc. Not the desierd outcome because I'm security and I'm supposed to ask those people to leave. I'm thinking throwing it out might just be the best outcome.
  • shannongoneau
    Options
    I have a passion for cake so when cake is going at work I'm often given a large slice or a cupcake. I try to work out the macro's and calories, if it fits I'll eat it, if not I'll take it home and eat it when I can fit it in.

I do that some days :) I decide its a day where I really want it and work off the calories or make room for it in my diary, but I can't do it for as often people bring it.
  • alibee88
    alibee88 Posts: 31
    Options
    I do try not to throw things in the bin, but say my neighbour baked me something, I'd bring it into work. If my colleague gave me something, I might take it with me when I visited my family... No-one's feelings get hurt and I can make sure any treats I have are things that I really want rather than things that are just in front of me at the time...
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    If I want it, I'll eat it.

If they ask and I don't, I'll decline.

If they bring it without asking, and I don't want it, I'll pass it on to one of the many people who love free food.

If nobody wants it, I'll toss it.
  • LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you can't fit it into your day or just really don't want to eat it (and can't find anyone else who wants it); never feel guilty about discreetly throwing it out. This has been a problem for me too, it feels so wasteful/ungrateful, but I remind myself what's worse-it ending up in the bin or ending up on my thighs?