Yeesh! Does anyone actually get 38 grams of fiber?

Options

Replies

• nokitchen
    nokitchen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well heck, glad I asked. I expected a bunch of responses along the lines of "get more than 20 and don't worry about it." So OK, more diligence to getting fiber. Thanks, all.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Eat bean soup on a regular basis and you might end up getting double that amount.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I usually hit 50-60g a day.
  • Midori_i
    Midori_i Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Did you check the fibre count is correct on everything you're logging? Because I checked my diary after I read your questions to give you tiops, because I feel like I eat a LOT of fibre. And then I noticed that I barely ever go over five.

But at second glance I noticed that I had entries in there saying that whole grain bread has 0 fibre, lettuce has 0 fibre... While the calorie, carb, fat and protein count seems correct most of the time. So maybe you're getting more fibre than your diary suggests?

I'm not gonna stress about it at any rate, I feel extremely healthy and have no digestive problems.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Mission carb balance tortillas & Fiber One bars...if not into that, then Metamucil, I suppose. Those food choices are both pretty processed and full of supplemental fiber but I prefer them to drinking fiber supplements.

P.S. Quest bars.
  • FreeSpirit1992
    Options
    Is there fiber in red beef?

I can't think of any animal products that have any measurable amount of fibre.
  • april34josey
    Options
    no they aren't wack :) you are actually eating how you should eat you can also add oatmeal and fiber supplements if you find you aren't getting those last couple of grams for the day..... veggies are also a great snack that you can eat tons of throughout the day to get that much needed fiber
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Yes, the number is off ! Women between 19-70 need 25 grams a day according to WHO and similar organization and men, yes, do need 38 grams.
    On average I eat 7-11 portions of vegetables a day ( but more on many days ) almost eat no bread, pasta or rice. I also eat a piece of fruit or two a day ; I don't eat much, because I don't like anything too sweet and make up for it in veggies and I get a lot more than the 14 grs I am supposed to have each day, I assume because I am under 5 feet tall and old. I do not use any fiber supplements or sprinkle stuff on my food for extra fiber, but most day get to the recommended amount without trying.

How come men need so much more than women?
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I aim for 30. 30 is where my body seems to function best. 40 might get a bit on the dangerous side for me, and I'd probably end up with bathroom issues the next day. And conversely, fewer than 25 leaves with with other bathroom issues. So I aim for 30. 28-35 is comfortable.

I get most of it from high-fiber cereal in the morning, lots of fruits and veggies, beans, lentils (are they beans?). If I don't hit my mark, I eat 2 or 3 or 4 fiber gummies for 'dessert' lol.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I get mine mainly from apples, vegetables, and low-carb, high-fiber tortillas.
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    Yes. Just remember, if you're gonna increase fiber in your diet, do it g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y.
  • horselo285
    horselo285 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I usually get between 20-30 grams a day. I think 39 on a daily basis would be tough (although probably doable). :)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    "How much fiber do you need? Women need 25 grams per day and men should get 38 grams per day, according to an Institute of Medicine formula based on getting 14 grams of fiber for every 1,000 calories."

I try to keep my fiber between 20 and 25 grams at day. More than that I am in trouble (if you know what mean).
  • rosevalleygirl23
    rosevalleygirl23 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Do you go to costco?

I've recently added Phillipine Brand coconut chips (dried young coconut) to my diary for fiber. 1.5 ounce snack is 14 grams of fiber and 173 calories.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I definitely second the gradual increase. There is such a thing as "too much" in the sense that if you increase your intake to a point that exceeds your digestive ability, you'll experience some of the worst gastrointestinal discomfort you've ever known.

I added extra fiber in some easy and delicious ways:
    Swap dairy milk for Silk's Almond Milk Fiber+Protein -delicious, 5g of fiber and 5g of protein added
    Modest amounts of soy. Soy ice cream has 4g per serving!
    Spinach, kale, quinoa, chia seeds...
    All Bran cereals... If you eat this with the almond milk above, you'll be halfway there already!
    Popcorn snacks
    Double Fiber Orowheat Bread... it's awesome.

Basically, it'll be easy to get there if you buy foods with that in mind. There are a lot of good options. Just remember the more fiber you eat, the more water you need, and the more you will poop.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    i like fibre 1 cereal....so that pretty well does most of the day for me. add in some fruits and fibrous veggies like greens, potatoes, beans....should be good to go
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • fit_little_britt
    Options
    i'm a vegetarian, but yes, and sometimes i even go over.
    i also really like quest bars, for this reason.
    and my fiber one brownies.
    but most of my fiber comes from the fact that the bulk of my diet is carrots, apples, celery, peppers, bananas, mangoes, etc.
    and i try to eat whole grain as much as possible.
    if you're having trouble making your fiber goal, get the fiber one bran cereal (60 calories for a 1/2 cup and i believe 12g of fiber) and mix it into some yogurt for a parfait (this is my favorite breakfast; i mix it into greek yogurt with some fresh berries) delicious and packed with fiber...and other good stuff!
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    NaomiJFoster-
    There are fiber gummies! WOW! We've found the vitamin gummies but this is a great idea that even a picky kiddo wouldn't mind :-)
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I try to get at least 20 but it depends on the day. some days I am way over that, others way under. If I make a lentil dish in the slow cooker then It's awesome for fiber.