Loose Skin After 120lb Weight Loss

Options
I have a weird problem.

After losing 120 pounds, the skin on my belly is a little loose and hangy.

When Im doing t25 and I have to jump alot it can get uncomfortable with the skin bouncing, as well as hard to keep tucked away when moving around so much. Im constantly pulling down my shirt, or pulling up my pants to make sure the skin isnt showing!! (PS - I cant go any tighter in the pants or I wont be allowed at the gym! LOL)

Any thoughts? Ideas? Clothing options?

Thanks!

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It can take up to 2 years for your skin to retract. Get a compression top to wear under your workout clothing
  • malou1985
    malou1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When i reach goal i will have lost 130 (only 35 from my heaviest right now) and im worried about this,very issue...
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Best workout pants ever and they will take care of that problem...They are from Lucy. They have a high thick waist band that holds it all in really well. My favorite ever.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I you are young. If you have naturally elastic skin a lot of it will draw up. I'm in my 50's I have no illusion that my stomach, arms, thigh skin is going any where. I just keep it tucked in and covered up. As for my stomach I too have the trouble of it just gets in the way and hurts when it's slapping around. I'm considering surgery for it. The rest of me is fine and operational.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It can take up to 2 years for your skin to retract. Get a compression top to wear under your workout clothing

this. and congrats on the weight loss
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have a weird problem.

After losing 120 pounds, the skin on my belly is a little loose and hangy.

When Im doing t25 and I have to jump alot it can get uncomfortable with the skin bouncing, as well as hard to keep tucked away when moving around so much. Im constantly pulling down my shirt, or pulling up my pants to make sure the skin isnt showing!! (PS - I cant go any tighter in the pants or I wont be allowed at the gym! LOL)

Any thoughts? Ideas? Clothing options?

Thanks!
    I notice you're a fellow canuck; if you can convinve your Dr. that it's a problem, or you have a good dr. that can find something about it that affects your health, you could qualify for skin removal surgery, but they will only do the belly area - they won't start nipping and tucking anywhere else. Well, it's like that in Ontario, not sure about NS.

I would still give it a couple years to see if it tightens up first since you're still young.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Compression under garments!.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem after my weight loss. Thankfully, I was able to eliminate most of my loose skin trouble areas, but during that time, I wore a compression top, or would wear a snug fit tank top under my t-shirt or workout gear. It definitely made things a lot more comfortable!
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Exact same problem here. I've had good luck with women's compression pants/capris/shorts by Under Armour. I also have some by Reebok and New Balance. Basically if a company makes good running apparel, they probably make a good compression bottom. Not to mention, compression has other benefits for your muscles. I also buy longer tops - it helps.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Options
    You could qualify for skin removal surgery, but they will only do the belly area - they won't start nipping and tucking anywhere else.

If you're curious, the two cosmetic surgery procedures most commonly done for this area are abdominoplasty (aka a tummy tuck) and panniculectomy (removal of the pannus - which is the apron of loose skin on the lower abdomen).

I researched it once... But I've since come to terms with my tummy.
  • wicksteve
    wicksteve Posts: 19
    Options
    What is a compression top and where would we get one? Thanks...:)
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Options
    What is a compression top and where would we get one? Thanks...:)

Compression garments (tops, pants, you name it), typically have a higher amount of spandex/stretch to them in order to compress parts of the body - this is considered good for muscles, but has the added benefit of holding all our bits in very nicely!

Some compression clothing is even graduated - so it provides greater/lesser compression at certain locations (ex: compression socks that hug the calves, but not the feet.) Compression clothing often feels a little thicker, is harder to stretch out, and will fit tightly (shouldn't be too tight). You can find compression clothing at sporting goods retailers like D.ick's Sporting Goods. Also look on websites like Amazon.com. I think even Target carries some compression workout items. Different brands provide different quality, fit, and level of compression, so it's best to try stuff on, if you can. Hope that helps.

Edited b/c MFP censored a store name that rhymes with Rick's.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Just some thoughts here... I see people say things like "you are young" and "wait two years" a lot in response to this topic, however that isnt always the case and can sometimes make people feel bad about themselves when they DO wait or DO think it will just shrink back up with time, and it doesnt. I have gotten down to a pretty low weight (over 125 lost at my lowest, back up now after health issues and surgery), with strength training and eating healthy only to find that the loose skin on my stomach is still there and actually moves around/jiggles MORE beause it isnt as "filled out" I have talked to my dr. about this issue and asked "What am I doing wrong?" You see, its been over 2 years and I do all the things everyone says will help... I use lotion daily, drink tons of water, and waited... and waited... Nope, its still there! And I am only 26, ws 24 when I lost the weight. Also, I wasnt over weight for that long.. I gained the weight between 18 and 20, and lost it between 22 and 24. Anyway, my point is that everyone is different and most of the time, if your skin is going to "snap back" it will do so within the first year. In the following year, you may see some improvement but not very much.

Anyway, back to the original question. I got a tank top type thing from wal-mart, its basically sports bra material so it is pretty breathable and was fairly cheap. Its meant to "smooth" things under clothes, but it works really well for holding things together under my workout clothes. I also wear compression pants that come up higher, I got those from WalMart also and have several pairs in short, capri, and long versions that are Danskin brand. They hold things in very well, too and dont slide down.

Congrats on your weight loss, BTW :)
  • Drea702
    Drea702 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a leotard or bathing suit underneath so that nothing crawls up. I have worn the compression tank tops and they have rolled up on me lol
  • deliacm
    deliacm Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Spanx are probably your best bet, they hold in everything and I do know they are what doctors recommend for holding things in place.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    They have some compression garments by the girdles at Walmart. There is one that is a body shaper. Slims the thighs, holds the belly and has arm straps to keep the whole thing from rolling.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Just some thoughts here... I see people say things like "you are young" and "wait two years" a lot in response to this topic, however that isnt always the case and can sometimes make people feel bad about themselves when they DO wait or DO think it will just shrink back up with time, and it doesnt. I have gotten down to a pretty low weight (over 125 lost at my lowest, back up now after health issues and surgery), with strength training and eating healthy only to find that the loose skin on my stomach is still there and actually moves around/jiggles MORE beause it isnt as "filled out" I have talked to my dr. about this issue and asked "What am I doing wrong?" You see, its been over 2 years and I do all the things everyone says will help... I use lotion daily, drink tons of water, and waited... and waited... Nope, its still there! And I am only 26, ws 24 when I lost the weight. Also, I wasnt over weight for that long.. I gained the weight between 18 and 20, and lost it between 22 and 24. Anyway, my point is that everyone is different and most of the time, if your skin is going to "snap back" it will do so within the first year. In the following year, you may see some improvement but not very much.
    y breathable and was fairly cheap. Its meant to "smooth" things under clothes, but it works really well for holding things together under my workout clothes. I also wear compression pants that come up higher, I got those from WalMart also and have several pairs in short, capri, and long versions that are Danskin brand. They hold things in very well, too and dont slide down.

Congrats on your weight loss, BTW :)

Thanks for this. I truly do not expect it to shrink back. For now I just need a good undergarment that will hold everything in so Im not as uncomfortable/confident in my work outs.

Really need to look into some of this compression stuff!

Surgery right now is just not an option for me. The skin isnt terrible to look at and Im ok with it. However, If it DOES get to the point where it is too uncomfortable for me to do my workouts.. then I may have to look into it.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    They have some compression garments by the girdles at Walmart. There is one that is a body shaper. Slims the thighs, holds the belly and has arm straps to keep the whole thing from rolling.

THIS!!

Everything rolls on me!! Rolls up.. rolls down.. ARG!!

I HATE IT! hahaha
  • ChristiaGillen
    Options
    I had the same problem when i managed to get around my goal weight. I was left of with lot of excess skin and i was ashamed of showing my skin. But since i was so desperate about this messy loose skin, i did a excessive skin removal surgery from Dr.Joseph Togba's clinic, he is a PS from Oakland. I tried using compression garments, but they will be of no use if there is a lot of excess skin.
  • judyamk
    judyamk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I work in a pharmacy one of our patients lost so much weight & had a lot of excess skin underneath it was all raw and very red. Her Doctor told her she can get a bad infection, he sent medical records to insurance that it is medical necessary to have this skin removed. She had it done & they paid for it. You should see her flat stomach we both hugged and cried together. Her arms they would not do. $1.500 a piece. Every week she saved out of her pay check, took her 3 years, ( she has a family ) I watched her from an obese person to this awesome healthy person..
    As far as they gym with your clothes, I wear my husbands, go to the store and get an over sized man's shirt. i promise it works !!!!
    let me know take care have an awesome day!!
    Judy