Is eating over calories once okay?

Options
I have a big party today and I am just wondering if it is okay to overeat (while still trying to eat reasonably) one day? I am currently moving to maintenance and any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• markssprague
    Options
    Yes! Overeating one day will not adversely affect you in the long run. What matters far more is a long term trend of eating healthy and eating the right amount.
  • EpsilonGamma
    Options
    Yes totally!

My recommendation is if you are looking at drinking and maybe eating snacks while you are there then, before you get there, have a really good, no carb meal. So steak/meat + veges. Really fill up on this.

This will hopefully satiate yourself and when you go to the party, you can have alcohol and snacks but you won't have as much because you are already full =)
  • dawncolleen0120
    dawncolleen0120 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Here's hoping that it IS okay because today was our 18th wedding anniversary and we went out to eat. Normally I avoid eating out, but even Bob Harper says that you can plan one splurge meal a week.
  • Susanm1943
    Susanm1943 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    None of us should ever feel guilt, remorse, etc. over 1 day's indescretions. If you're on the program & are doing well (as it appears you are), 1 day will not undo all the good you've done for yourself. Don't kick yourself when you're down. Tomorrow is a new day & you'll be back doing well in the a.m.:smile:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for 18 months and I can tell you unequivocally that you will be over sometimes.

What I do is set my calorie goal just below maintenance and then I go over about once a week. It all works itself out over time. My advice is to set yourself a maintenance range. For me, as long as I'm somewhere between 123 and 128 lbs I'm golden. If I notice I'm hovering at the top of that most of the time then I'll cut back for a bit until I drop back down. This is your life. Don't spend it stressed out that you might go over one time.
  • catsandtats
    catsandtats Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely. One day won't make or break your success! No one gains weight overnight (nor does anyone lose it overnight).
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    day or a week wont make a difference, its long term thing
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    One day every now and then is fine, but not once every few days like I'm doing right now :(
    If you know you have a big party then increase excersise and eat less for a few days before and after and you won't feel so bad. Also, I don't know if you are a beer wine or spirits drinker but Millers Chill beers are only 100 cals each with 4.9 carbs : so won't break the bank too badly. And yes, eat a healthy low carb nutritious meal before you go so you are not tempted to snack on all the high-calorie foods.

*Makes note to self to stop going out to parties and restaurants with friends
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    yes, it's ok. go for it and enjoy your cheat day.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Agreed! There are times when my meals and exercise are exactly the same from day to day but I move up or down the scale a pound or two, yet some cheat days don't change the weight. As long as your cheat day -- fun party time -- isn't an every day occurrence, then you'll be perfectly fine!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat over your calories some of the time, you can't average your goal.

Watch the week, not the day.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Yes but I would log anyway. At least for me, it helps make smarter choices by still tracking (and this can include a bottle of champagne). Have a great celebration!
  • kczarnec
    kczarnec Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    'Okay' as in not gaining a lot of weight by overeating once/week? Yes. Though 'okay' as in are you really hungry and is this what you want to eat? Asking myself that seems to help more in the long run-especially being at a party or another situation. Just because the food is there and maybe it's something I might not see in awhile-if I'm not hungry-it's not necessarily reason to eat it. Also, I find having 'some' boundaries is helpful-whether that's eating something healthy beforehand so I don't show up beyond starving or not parking it at the food table. Whatever it is that is some limitation helps me to make better choices even if it is over my calorie count for the day.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    As long as it's under 10,000 calories.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Have fun! If you want to log, then log.

If you want to exercise more then exercise more.

If you do not then don't.

Don't worry about it and go have fun!

One day isn't going to break the weight loss bank. I have averaged once to twice a week going over my calories this past month and lost. I look at things differently though. I do not look at things as "cheat days" or "cheat meals." This is a lifestyle change not a diet and I look at it as today I decided to have this and this has higher calories then usual. I'm consistent so I do not worry.

I look at it from a weekly stand point and I always have leftover calories and that doesn't include eating to maintenance.

You only live once so enjoy your night, be worry free and start fresh tomorrow.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Nope. Quite a few of my friends have a day each week, usually Saturday, where they eat over by quite a bit, and they seem to be doing ok. I periodically eat over by as much as 1500 calories, and snap right back to where I was within a day or two. But I am very active and careful of what I eat most of the time.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    How will we ever be able to maintain our goal weight if we can't have some indulgences now and then? You have to live in the real world so go enjoy yourself now and then. Just remember it's all about balance : )
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Absolutely..... Look at your overall week
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You're moving into maintenance and you're just now wondering about this? Does that mean you've never been over while losing weight?
  • GummyBears7779
    GummyBears7779 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Its fine, i had a party the second day i started counting XP