Why have I not lost weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Honestly all of you were almost no help except a couple of you. You were basically yelling at me, and saying I'm wrong and to do this and do that and to stop complaining. Obviously it's aggravating, I came here for support and got that from almost none of you. I have experience with this and as I said I lost 20lbs last year which is why I'm confused to why I can't lose weight now. I eat salads and snack on carrots and dip, all low low low calories. All I put into my body is nutrients so that's why it's low. Most of my calories come from my breakfast which is eggs and bacon and toast. That has a lot of salt so I think I didn't lose weight because of water retention. Thanks anyways.

Huh?

Water retention would explain 3-5 pounds at most...and only if your sodium is consistently high...and even still, you would lose weight in a deficit...it would just be 3-5 pounds higher than it would otherwise have been...and in times of lower-than-usual-sodium, you would lose some of those pounds.

TL;DR - water retention is not the explanation for long-term inability to lose weight.

ETA: And there were a lot of helpful replies...that you didn't realize they were helpful might be a clue as to what the real underlying problem is here.

Also, this kind of indignation in the face of obviously sound advice is making my trollometer twitchy.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Keep at it, OP. You got this! :flowerforyou:

That's the good ole MFP support !

Thumbs-up.jpg
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is massively overestimating calories burnt! I suspect its half what was posted as 600 cals a day burnt off most days seems like torture

I am a healthy weight for my height and I can easily burn over 700 a day. If i do 45 mins on my treadmill and then a Jillian video. So I could see how she could do it. But I wouldn't want to work out on that low of calories a day. I would feel weak. When I burn over 700..I eat at least half of it back.

OP, you definitely need to eat more. And we aren't saying eat more junk. Just shoot for at least a 1200 net and try that for a couple weeks and see how it goes. You won't gain weight by netting 1200. So why not try it and see if it helps you lose.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Just in case this is a real post here are some helpful links:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

http://www.anad.org/get-information/about-eating-disorders/eating-disorders-statistics/?gclid=CPekiJnSp70CFWxp7Aod_0oAHg

Also, I'm sure somebody linked the guide to sexypants. That's a good one

The people that have responded that 500 net calories is too low are absolutely correct. Find your tdee (with one of the mentioned calculators), eat at a modest deficit (say - 20%), get in some cardio and some strength training and have some patience. One week is not at all enough time to see results. You are being unrealistic and are exhibiting problem eating behaviors and attitudes. I also provided a link for eating disorder information in case you may sense that this is an issue. GL and well wishes.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Is your profile pic you?
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I started working out last Thursday, March 13. I weighed myself this morning, Thursday march 20 and didn't lose any weight, not even 0.1lbs. I'll tell you what my remaining calories were everyday. (The first number is the number of calories I consumed that day, the second number I am subtracting if the calories I burned doing exercise and the last number total is the net.
    March 13: 1122 - 516 = 646
    March 14: 828 - 516 = 312
    March 15: 1830 - 646 = 1185
    March 16: 1315 - 688 =627
    March 17: 1807- 616 = 1191
    March 18: 1996-616 = 1380
    March 19: 1235 -673 = 562
    As you see, my net calories are very low, I don't starve myself or skip meals. I eat normally and work out at the gym (1 hour 5 min of AMT -advanced motion trainer- and then 15-20 minutes of strength). Today I was so pissed off that I didn't lose any weight I went and burned 913 just on the AMT (And probably more like 1000 when I was finished my entire workout) I am 18 years old, I'm 5'8 and I weigh 240lbs. My recommended calorie intake is 22, 113 cals a week to maintain my weight. Since last Thursday I had 5903 cals which means I should've lost at least 4.5lbs right? PLEASE HELP! I thought I would've lost 2lbs of water weight at least...thank you so so much :)
    Btw don't tell me to eat more. I already snack and pig out so much, I don't try and stay under my calorie goal of 1252 it just happens, that's just me on a regular day so I'm not going to eat more and stuff myself to lose weight. That doesn't make sense.

Relax.

You should see my weight chart. I think it will explain things nicely.

I'm bulking...but just...look at it upside down or something. ;)

Each of the little circles is my scale weight on a day.

The red line is an average.. Note how it's trending up even though there are several times when I weighted the same on two days about a week apart.

Also note the fluctuations. Multiple pounds gained, lost and gained again within 72 hours. If you're weight had been lower on the 20th than on the 13th that would not actually show that you were losing weight. Comparing your weight on any two days a short time apart tells you absolutely NOTHING.

You either need to weigh in less often or you need to chart this stuff.

eta: MFP img code why you no work with dropbox urls? o_O

edit again: Or photobucket...the hell. Here's the dang link: http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff79/SrJoben/Libra_2014-03-18_zps3c4aa041.jpg
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Snack and pig out and hit my TDEE of 1800? Girl, you aren't going to read this or think I'm mean but yeah, you need a good "coming to a god of your choice". You still have to fuel you body in a way that makes it run properly. If you don't fuel it correcly, it doesn't RUN correctly. If it doesn't run correctly it's going to do everything it's power to maintain the status quo. If you really think your stuff is the way to go (300 calories is just insane), go check out the mulitple success stories of people who eat 1500, 1800, hell even 2500 calories a day and drop weight.

Yeah there's basic math involved but that only counts if your body is working right. #justsayin'
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is massively overestimating calories burnt! I suspect its half what was posted as 600 cals a day burnt off most days seems like torture

If there was any kind of eating exercise calories back the estimates of calories burned in exercise would matter.

Since they aren't, they don't.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Honestly all of you were almost no help except a couple of you.
    Nobody can tell you what the problem is for sure, all people can do is lend their opinion, which is what you asked for in your title to this post.
    I eat salads and snack on carrots and dip, all low low low calories. All I put into my body is nutrients so that's why it's low. Most of my calories come from my breakfast which is eggs and bacon and toast.
    In the first post, that you edited, you stated that you snack and pig out. Above says you only put nutrients in and it is low calories.
    You have sort of contridicted yourself.

If you cannot accept (I am not saying agree) people's advice and opinions that you asked for, why come and ask in the first place?
    It almost seems you came looking for a fight.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I believe there's been a good lot of cases of a new exercise routine also causing water retention.

So, OP; how do you know it is NOT water retention?

Further, women's weight tends to fluctuate through the month.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Honestly all of you were almost no help except a couple of you. You were basically yelling at me, and saying I'm wrong and to do this and do that and to stop complaining. Obviously it's aggravating, I came here for support and got that from almost none of you. I have experience with this and as I said I lost 20lbs last year which is why I'm confused to why I can't lose weight now. I eat salads and snack on carrots and dip, all low low low calories. All I put into my body is nutrients so that's why it's low. Most of my calories come from my breakfast which is eggs and bacon and toast. That has a lot of salt so I think I didn't lose weight because of water retention. Thanks anyways.

the people giving you advice are people that have lost weight and kept off over the long run ….your problem is one of the following"

1. Not correctly estimating calories.
    2. Not correctly estimating burns
    3. You have an unhealthy relationship with food, are eating way too little, and have damaged your metabolism due to chronic underrating…
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    When I first started I was eating about 1200 calories a day and burning 400 - 500 calories a day working out and didn't lose much. I started eating about half my workout calories back so then about 1450 a day and lost 25 pounds in about 3 months. I do think you need to eat a little more if you are working out that much, but you do not have an eating disorder. A lot of people come on this sight and it takes them a while to figure out what works for there body.

And those of you that have been harassing this poor girl about an eating disorder leave her alone. She came on here to get some advice and encouragement not to be made to feel bad.