Intermittent fasting

Options
Anyone had/having success on Intermittent fasting/Leangains? It's working well for me so far.

Replies

• bainos
    bainos Posts: 99
    Options
    explain? i dont know what that is. All i know is that ill try anything that works. I try and fast but, with little success, i binge eat the day after. i dont know? Its all just so bunk. lol
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Google gave me this info on it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting

So basically you fast once every three days? How long are you fasting for? I have thought about trying fasting, but I don't know if I'd be able to handle it :tongue: I like to eat too much, which is how I got to where I am, I guess ^^;
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I do the Eat, Stop, Eat that I read on a thread here. 24 hours. Usually from dinnertime to dinnertime. I do ti twice a week (Wednesday nights and Sunday nights) Strangely enough, when I started doing it was when I started losing weight I think it was because I had to learn to focus on things other than food, so when I wasn't fasting, I realized I had been mindless eating before and had better control of my portions. Actually on a fast today with 14 hours to go :)
  • pullright
    Options
    Google Leangains and enjoy!
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    was just at the leangains site today. I've also bee doing the ESE plan, but I'm having a hard time with it lately and think that I'll give leangains a try. I like the idea of getting to eat lunch AND dinner every day. i don't mind giving up breakfast :D
  • skyley
    skyley Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love it to I do the daily IF though it's a lot easier for me than doing a full 24 hr one 3 times a week I stopped doing it for awhile but really want to start again
  • SkierElle
    Options
    Wow I really like the leangains site; thanks for sharing!! It has a lot more information than the ESE site which is really vague (the ESE site seems sort of like a false advertisement).
  • skyley
    skyley Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think with the ESE site if I'm not mistaken you have to give your email and they send you a free e-book it was a good read also
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Here's a pretty basic "how to" article.....It offers a few different options for the IF.....

http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2008/02/27/intermittent-fasting-101-how-to-start-part-i/
  • SkierElle
    Options
    Great article. I was just reading something that said the fat burn period is from 18 hours of fasting to 30 hours. For that reason, I am a little turned off to the daily fasting if it is for just 15-19 hours. I may try a 30 hour after this weekend... as I've been quite successful with 24 for the last month and a half (for 2-3x per week). probably something like 12pm Monday to 6pm Tuesday, I'm thinking.
  • pullright
    Options
    I'm getting really good results on this with minimal effort. I'm still enjoying the foods I like and not depriving myself.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm getting really good results on this with minimal effort. I'm still enjoying the foods I like and not depriving myself.

What's your routine when it comes to timing your meals and workouts? I can't follow any of his suggested plans because none of them fit my schedule.
  • glittersoul
    Options
    I did something similar a few years ago. I followed a modified (my own) version of the warrior diet. I lost 92 lbs in one year and had more energy than I had ever had in my life. I quit doing it and went back to previous eating habits which was totally a bad idea. I tried the eating small amounts throughout the day and I feel like *kitten*. I am going back to what I was doing before that was working and staying on it for life this time. lol :)

Just wanted to share my experience with it
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting myself and my schedule is to have a 4 hour eating window from 4PM to 8PM, and fast for 20 hours daily. To me that's the happy medium between a 24 hour fast and a fast that has me eating lunch. I feel eating lunch would have me eating too many calories. Because that is something I did learn: it's still important to watch calories. However, with fasting, I found portions get smaller, I am more conscious of what I'm eating. When I can only eat for a set number of hours a day, I want my food to be good too, and going for empty calories won't help me at all. Also, as I want to make my one meal count, I take more care in eating it: not eating on the run, but properly sitting down, everything on nice plates, bowls, because it's a celebration. Also since fasting I've not touched alcohol, because that too is just empty calories that I can't spare. One thing I also found is how incredibly well I can taste everything I eat.

I drink water and tea (and coffee if i feel hungry). It's far less difficult than it sounds. Also I don't notice depletion of energy during my day. Rather the opposite, strangely.

Good luck with finding a fasting schedule that works for you. I adapted my schedule from the leangains way of thinking.