Dealing with food gifts

Options
Hellooooooo.
so i've had my birthday this month and also finished some personal challenges at work etc. Because of this, i've received a lot of chocolate / sweet gifts. My biggest problem is temptation, so I have just stopped buying sweet things so I don't eat them. Now with all these gifts in the house I am seriously struggling and the scales are proving that!
Any advice on what to do when you end up with naughty food?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Regift it, or fit it into your calorie goal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Regift it, or fit it into your calorie goal.

Yep. But if it's nasty chocolate anyway, pitch it.
  • roozielynne
    roozielynne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain as my husband recently left 4 boxes of girl scout cookies home while he left for out of state for work. (Why in the world would he buy 4 boxes? 1 should have been more then sufficient!)
    I managed to avoid those cookies for about a week but realized my resolve could slip any moment in a fit of weakness so I sent the boxes to school with the kids. They shared them with their friends.

I agree with the advice of get rid of the sweets. Take them to work and share. Give them to neighbors or relatives.

Remind yourself why you don't really need or want the sweets!

Best of luck!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I bring it to work. They will eat anything even if it isn't very tasty. Human vacumns.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I bring it to work. They will eat anything even if it isn't very tasty. Human vacuums.

Well, not everything! One of our clients based in Philadelphia sent our department an assortment of food items made in Philadelphia. I use the term "food" loosely; it included a box of Tastykakes. One woman took one bite and threw the rest away- she said it was nasty. The rest sat there untouched (wrapped in cellophane) till this month, when I noticed mold on them (yeah, even with all the preservatives). I threw them out.

If the gifts can be frozen without ruining the taste or texture and it's easier to forget that you have them, that's another option.
  • Sushos1
    Sushos1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I once read the phrase, "waist it or waste it." It makes it much easier to throw out if it has been opened or you have no way to give it to someone else.
  • thatpixichick
    thatpixichick Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Either figure it into your calorie goal over a number of days or weeks and perhaps share it with a friend, your partner, whoever while having a cosy movie day or something.. Or simply recycle the gift if you don't trust yourself to not eat it all in one go :tongue:
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I always bring mine to work and give them to my coworkers.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Depending on the state of the gift I donate it to the homeless. Certainly they aren't counting calories. :)
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I'll send you my address and you can regift it and send it to me. I'll dispose of it properly for ya.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Take them to a soup kitchen or food pantry. Some little kids will think they are in heaven. :flowerforyou:
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    throw it away....

If you can give it away try that first but if not just pitch it. It is no more a waste than if you ate it and it became waste. It is the thought, and there is always a risk with a good gift that it will not get eaten by the intended recipient...for a number of reasons, taste, allergies, diet (not meaning on a diet to lose weight but diet as what a person eats daily).
  • andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Options
    Like others have mentioned, I take things like that to work and leave them in the communal area-- preferably in the building I don't work in so that I don't have to walk past the goodies all day.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Do you have a partner or even a cooperative roommate? Ask them to hide the treats and dole them out in reasonable portions. (They get to eat some too, of course, which may solve the problem completely.) That way you'll have to think about whether you have wiggle room for some tasty empty calories or are just bored and having a craving.

Okay, it's weird, but it's worked for me and chocolate.

If that's not going to work for you and you can't make yourself nibble within your macros, give anything that's unopened to the food bank and make some poor person's day, and bring the rest to work/give it to a friend who's training for a marathon/etc.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Choose your favourites, keep them and fit them in your calorie goals, bring the rest to work to share.
  • Warrior_Butterfly
    Options
    Eat them all and then hide the evidence !
  • bumblebeez86
    bumblebeez86 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    it was my birthday too this month and I told everyone not too get chocolates etc however I did get some - the thorntons chocolates I took to work as I don't particularly like them and they were not worth wasting calories for. I got some milk tray too which I love so I fitted them in my goals and shared with the family. (I also did go over some days) Also told everyone I am not doing easter this year too ....
  • bumblebeez86
    bumblebeez86 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Take them to a soup kitchen or food pantry. Some little kids will think they are in heaven. :flowerforyou:

great idea!!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,639 Member
    Options
    I bring food gifts such as chocolates to the homeless guy at the tube station. I am probably responsible for a lot of bad teeth.