Almond Milk vs. Cow's Milk

Options
I was just wondering if there's a benefit if you change from drinking cow's milk to almond milk.....?

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Moral high ground?
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I get to eat a few more bites of cereal with the calories saved?! And I think it stays fresher longer, so I waste less. I'm not really a milk drinker either way.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Slightly less calories in Almond milk (not much less than Skim milk tho). Less b-vitamins, calcium and protein in Almond milk as well.
  • Lifeisgood4
    Lifeisgood4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • Lifeisgood4
    Lifeisgood4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info - I didn't know there was less calcium - that's kind of a big deal for me because I have osteoporosis in my family.

BTW, that's so awesome that you have lost 185 pounds!! Way to go!!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I drink both. Depends on my mood. Cow's milk has more protein. Almond milk has less calories, more calcium. Sometimes, I buy the Silk Chocolate Almond milk if I want dessert. It's 100 cals a glass. Otherwise, I usually just stick with the dairy, but I don't drink a ton of milk anyway.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info - I didn't know there was less calcium - that's kind of a big deal for me because I have osteoporosis in my family.

I use Silk Soy milk-More Calcium and protein ( I'm not sure why people use Almond milk??) Check out the comparison of all 3. Silk has 50% more calcium than even milk :flowerforyou:
  • _John_
    Options
    Adequate protein intake and strength training also protect bone health.
  • rachaelfisher1
    Options
    Cow's milk FTW. Mooooo.
  • KMC1012
    KMC1012 Posts: 20
    Options
    Almond milk has more calcium than cows milk, and I personally believe that people shouldn't drink baby cows milk. We are not built to digest it, but that is my personal opinion. I have not drunk cows milk ever (I'm weird I have had a phobia of it all my life) and have had no medical problems because of it.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

If you are worried about osteoporosis, whatever you do, don't consume dairy. It's bad for bone health.

Greens have tons of calcium if you are worried about calcium intake.

Almond milk is a lot better than cow's milk. No casein or pus, and lot less fat.
  • _John_
    Options
    . It's bad for bone health.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22081694/
    Some authors have suggested that dairy products are not helpful and perhaps detrimental to bone health because higher osteoporotic fracture incidence is observed in countries with higher dairy product consumption. However, scientific evidence does not support any of these claims.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Almond milk doesn't have pus and antibiotics in it and all that yummimess. Also doesn't make you bloated.
  • _John_
    Options
    Double posted instead of editing.
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    bump
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if you're lactose intolerant or allergic to anything in cow's milk, then yes there is a lot of benefit in not drinking it.

if you're not, then there isn't. Almond milk doesn't have anything like the same nutrition as cows milk. From a cooking and meal prep point of view, maybe one can be substituted for another, but from a nutritional point of view, they're very different and one should not be considered as a substitute for the other

Dairy (provided you can digest it) gives you protein, healthy fats and fat soluble vitamins. Some kinds of dairy products e.g. natural yoghurt, laban, are naturally probiotic and help you to maintain a healthy gut flora. Some kinds of dairy products, e.g. labeneh/greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, are high in protein and low in calories so help to ensure you get enough protein withot going over your calorie goal. So for those who can digest it, it's a good food. Also even for people who are lactose intolerant, some dairy products are very low in lactose and may be able to be consumed safely, it depends on the individual and how severe the intolerance is. This may not be true for milk allergy as even small amounts of the offending proteins can still trigger allergic reactions.

Personally, if I wanted the nutritional benefits of almond milk, I'd cut out the middle man and just eat the almonds. You remove some of the nutrition from almonds when you make them into milk. (although I'm not keen on almonds personally, I prefer cashews and pistachios which are also very nutritious, but still won't give you the protein that you get from milk). But if I couldn't drink milk and wanted a milk substitute for recipes, meals etc, I'd go with the almond milk for that reason and get my protein, healthy fats and fat soluble vitamins elsewhere.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I think it's really a false dichotomy. Soy, rice, hemp, almond, etc. are just some vitamins thrown in some sort of runoff from the ingredient of choice. Most nutritional benefit from the slurry is added after the fact. May as well drink diet soda with a multivitamin.

Hemp milk is tasty though. =)
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    How do you milk and almond? :tongue:
  • rachellleanne
    Options
    http://www.news-medical.net/news/2005/09/12/13120.aspx
    Dairy milk is singled out as the biggest dietary cause of osteoporosis because more than any other food it depletes the finite reserve of bone-making cells in the body.
    So although milk makes bones stronger in the short term, in the long term it erodes bone-making cells, increasing the risk of osteoporosis

I'd avoid the cow's milk and go for almond or other nut milks. They're healthier and tastier :)
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I drink an almond/coconut blend that is 45 calories per cup rather than the 90 calories per cup in skim milk. I do this simply for the calorie savings and because it's absolutely delicious in cereal. It allows me to eat cereal that has no sugar and still have a bit of a sweet taste. I also drink it because it lasts much longer in the fridge and I am the only one in my house that consumes milk.

*edited to add* I drink the Blue Diamond Almond Coconut milk. Very good stuff.