Looking clean diet plan to improve mood and focus

Options
I'm nineteen years old and have recently slipped into a world of pizza, chips and chocolate. Any one have any good clean simple diets? Not so much trying to lose weight but more to help me feel all round in a better mood and a better way of life! any ideas or plans, send them my way. Thanks:)

Replies

• struggletodiet
    struggletodiet Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Well I don't have a diet per-say but i do try and stick to at lest a good amount of fruit and veg, as well as cutting down but not getting rid of all the food that are not good for you because it good to have a treat every now and them
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents is to slowly replace the bad with the good.
    If you think about pizza, go for something thats in the organic section like Newmans own pizza. You can eat the whole thing and its only 700cals.
    Start swapping candy and junk for vegetables and some fruit.
    Start your day with high protein and essential fats. i generally have 2 greek yogurts with granola and walnuts.
    Lunch should be high protein and fats with leafy greens.
    Dinner can be anything you desire.
    More protein prior to bed with some slow carbs.

Dont overcomplicate things though.
    Start replacing stuff slowly.

On the topic of mood and focus, loot at your quality of sleep.
    If you aren't getting 7-9 hours, you're going to suffer.
    Your body keeps track of sleep, or lack of, and will ask for payment back with interest!
  • Kriptikk
    Kriptikk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is too start off slowly. Ease into eating foods which haven't been processed and increase your intake of vegetables and fruit. I highly recommend drinking around a gallon of water a day too. It will increase you're energy levels and make you feel generally better and fuller for longer. Good luck
  • nicolewood415
    nicolewood415 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Earlier this year I made it a goal to get 4-5 servings of fruits and vegetables each day, which is around the recommended daily intake anyways. After doing that I felt much better--less weighted down and not as bloated. Drinking soda less and keeping my "bad" eating to one day a week also helped. I'd suggest start with small steps and after you've successfully mastered one new healthy habit, then add another. Hope that helps!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster above that said, simply replace the bad with more good foods. You can have treats, but they have to be in moderation. For example, one serving of ice cream for 140 calories. Not the whole pot of ice cream for 1000 calories. Anyway, just try to incorporate some good choices in your day, like Greek yogurt, fruits, veggies, nuts, and try to cut out large portions of processed foods.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    It will increase you're energy levels and make you feel generally better and fuller for longer.
    You'll also burn calories... from all the trips to the bathroom! :)

A clean diet (sic) for me doesn't change my mood, focus or energy levels.
    It might to some others - especially if you've got insulin issue due to being overweight/unhealthy and are consuming low gi (or is it high gi) meals.

As an altertnative, consider doing more exercise, which also has a range of benefits - for me that INCLUDES eating pizza and ice cream as part of a "healthy lifestyle" :)
  • cha12066849
    Options
    Thanks for the response guys. I'll defiantly take it all into account. I'm starting to feel my diet and outrages sleeping pattern slowly taking over my life, but i will start making changes. I know it's not that easy completely changing my lifestyle choices around and it will take time but hopefully seeing some changes and improvements will help me to push on.

Just back from the shops with a weeks worth of fruit, vegetables, meat and a 'healthy eating for life' cookbook. I'll tell you how it goes!:smile: