Cheaper chicken breast?

Options
nyla2120
nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
My family goes through a lot of chicken breast. I like to by Perdue, but it gets pretty pricey. Does anyone use that cheaper no name chicken breast that they sell at Walmart? Is it any good?

Replies

• rachaelfisher1
    Options
    Chicken breast is chicken breast, branded or not. Go with the cheaper option.
  • nyla2120
    Options

Definitely works for me :bigsmile:
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I have used it in the past, and it is good. I switched to Sanderson Farms, b/c the "generic" brand chicken breast at Wal-mart is injected with a sodium solution. If you look at the sodium content it is higher than some of the other brands.

Its just a personal preference for our family. I like to decrease our sodium intake when I can and add my own seasonings when I cook. I love it when I can find the SF or Perdue brand reduced for quick sale.

But, in the long run that chicken would be fine. It is a lot better priced too!
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live but I find it on sale at Rainbow for $1.99/lb pretty often and it's just fine. I think it's Gold'n Plump or something.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I buy ours at Sam's Club - boneless, skinless chicken breast - they sell it rebranded as Member's Mark but recently when I was there they were restocking it, and it came out of boxes marked "Tyson" so I asked the butcher. Sure enough, Member's Mark chicken is Tyson Chicken. I generally pay anywhere from $1.77/lb to $1.88/lb for it there.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Just pay attention to the "Added water" percent on the package. It may a lot cheaper, but it might only be slightly cheaper =)
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I usually only buy chicken breasts when they are on sale for $1.99/lb or less and I will buy a big package, filet it all, we like thin chicken, and portion out enough for a meal and freeze in marinade or plain if I am going to use it for nuggets or something! I like to freeze in the marinade, because I can take out a package before work and it will thaw and be ready to grill by the time I get home from work!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Get the store brand or find a store that has a cheaper store brand. I have to buy the huge packages to get a good price too (or it's $3.29 a lb or something here).. but considering I eat a lot of it, it's not a huge deal to me.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    depending on what you are making you could also substitute boneless skinless chicken thighs as well
  • nyla2120
    Options
    Thanks everyone ;-)
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

macros and calories will be the same....

flavor and texture can be vastly different.

I could sit down and eat chicken from the 4 nearest grocery stores and tell you blindly which one came from which place.

just sayin